Book recommendation

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Book recommendation

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well, as you all know, I've hung around here for a few years, always under the same nom de guerre, the Ysabel Kid (or, "YK" or just, "Kid"). The Ysabel Kid (pronounced "sable"; the "y" is silent) was a character in the "Floating Outfit" series by J.T. Edson, an English author. J.T. Edson wrote well over 100 books, most of them westerns. He passed away in 2014.

The book "The Ysabel Kid" has been out of print for quite some time. I've picked up copies when I've found them, if they are priced reasonably (you'd be surprised how expensive out-of-print paperback books can be).

I just discovered that they have now started "publishing" some of J.T. Edson's books on the Kindle, including my favorite one! So, for only $1.99, you can read about my namesake! :D

https://www.amazon.com/Ysabel-Kid-Float ... ext&sr=1-5

Enjoy! :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Book recommendation

Post by Griff »

Shameful as it is for me to say this... but I have to... While I'm a "reader", I don't even like paperbacks... My paternal grandfather was a printer... of books, and other printed matter... I even studied and practiced the art as a student for a while... And while he recognized the utility and expanded capabilities in new processes, he was still a "letter-press" kinda guy... I have friends that like their Kindles... guys that didn't hardly read anything before... so, I'll accept that they're a GOOD thing... :P :P

ps: I already have the book.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well I'll be. I often wondered where your nom de guerre came from.

8)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote:Shameful as it is for me to say this... but I have to... While I'm a "reader", I don't even like paperbacks... My paternal grandfather was a printer... of books, and other printed matter... I even studied and practiced the art as a student for a while... And while he recognized the utility and expanded capabilities in new processes, he was still a "letter-press" kinda guy... I have friends that like their Kindles... guys that didn't hardly read anything before... so, I'll accept that they're a GOOD thing... :P :P

ps: I already have the book.
Griff, I'm like you - I enjoy the feel of reading an actual book. I have all of J.T. Edson's works; it took me decades to obtain them, as many were never printed here in the US (gamekeeper helped me secure one of them! :D ). I must admit though, I have several books on the Kindle app now, so I always have a book with me. I read "Unbroken" a few years ago entirely on my phone! I just couldn't put it down, so I'd sneak read every chance I got (including at church, which caught me no end of grief from Mrs. YK! :shock: ).

Happy to hear you already have the book! :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

It's great that so many books can be found on Kindle but it's still fun to search old book shops for used copies, if I can't find what I'm searching for I usually find something else I can't live without.... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Griff wrote: I have friends that like their Kindles... guys that didn't hardly read anything before... so, I'll accept that they're a GOOD thing... :P :P
If I saw the size of " Unintended Consequences " I never would have tried to read it , let alone buy it. Between a train trip from here to Fla. and a couple more days I was surprised that I had read it all on that kindle thing. 8) Was after I had read it that I saw the hardcover version.
Phil
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I think that this site is good, as well - but make sure that your virus checker is up to date just in case. It's a huge collection of J T Edson Westerns in Kindle format for around $20 -
XXXX'd Out! Don't go to Bear Library!

(Edited for your safety - see my updated post below)
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Hard bound books are always nice to handle, however - I've likely read far more paperback books, including most of the Louis L'Amour westerns that were my favorite while serving on destroyers on both tours to SE Asia many years ago. Thinking back on that, I would read most anything.......probably the first time I actually read a Playboy for lack of books. My wife has a Kindle and really likes it, so what the heck !
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well, I couldn't help myself. I did order the kindle version, though I have several printed copies now. I even reread it. That is the nice thing about the kindle version, it is on my phone, so it is with me at all times. I hate downtime, so I just take out the phone and read when I get a chance.

It's been a number of years since I've read the book, and it was as good as I remember. HOWEVER, the darn PC crowd struck, and they did change one thing in the electronic version. The kid has a big white stallion. His name for it is a derogatory term for a black person.

Now, I detest that term. However, it would have been used a lot back in the time period, and the kid uses it as a joke, since the horse is all white.

No big deal, but I guess the tender snowflakes of today can't stand to see the word, even in fictitious literature, so they replaced it with the word "Thunder". How stupid. :evil:

Actually, I'm surprised they are digitizing J.T. Edson's works at all. In addition to the westerns being just good stories and fun to read, I also thoroughly enjoy Edson's political views. He hated communists, leftist, and liberals. The bad guys in most of his stories are usually from one of those groups, and often "bat for the wrong team" as well. Certainly not PC. I wonder how long it will be until someone whines and they stop bringing these out in digital form? :roll:
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I checked out the site I mentioned and do NOT recommend it - You will see that I edited my message above by X'ing out the name. I do not want to be responsible for a casual web surfer clicking on the link and becoming a victim of malware or identity theft. If you want to know what it is, generally - it is "Bear Library."

I don't use my credit card to untested merchants and tried using PayPal. I was directed by a separate e-mail from the above site to go to another site before I used a PayPal debit.

The above site's separate e-mail to me, and then the separate site (that had a funny name) used very bad English syntax that I have seen before. Its specific wording is common to that of people at Asian sites who are transliterating into English, that drop articles of speech. I would guess that the sites are both owned by a Chinese speaking person or persons.

The absolute red flag was that, before the second site accepted my PayPal payment, I had to "Register." That process asks my full name, address, phone number, and date of birth. I strongly suspect that it would be used to phish for more information to steal my identity. Stay away.

The price was terrific for so many books, thus the old adage - "If it looks too good to be true, it is."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

1894 wrote:
Griff wrote: I have friends that like their Kindles... guys that didn't hardly read anything before... so, I'll accept that they're a GOOD thing... :P :P
If I saw the size of " Unintended Consequences " I never would have tried to read it , let alone buy it. Between a train trip from here to Fla. and a couple more days I was surprised that I had read it all on that kindle thing. 8) Was after I had read it that I saw the hardcover version.
Ach! du libre! Do you mean the one by John Ross, Stuart Woods, Marti Green, or Edward Conard?

I'm currently reading "Les Miserables" by Victor Hugo... all 908 pages of it... (but it makes up for that by having really small print)!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Unintended Consequences was the one by John Ross . My wife found a pdf version and somehow she got it onto the kindle thing. Seems at one time he was not happy with the publisher and put it out there himself. Not sure if that is true or not , but that is my understanding.
Phil
magyars4
Levergunner 1.0

Post by magyars4 »

While I own a Kindle, I feel the difference between a book and a Kindle is similar to my thoughts on the1911 vs. Glocks. Both do the job, but one is a soul less device and the other is a piece of art!
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

Well I don't do the internet books, but I bought the paper version that looks just like your avatar. Not bad, first of that author I've read. Thanks for the prodding, Ill check out more. I noticed he likes to use lots of real characters in his writing, and specific details on his firearms. Good stuff.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Udy wrote:Well I don't do the internet books, but I bought the paper version that looks just like your avatar. Not bad, first of that author I've read. Thanks for the prodding, Ill check out more. I noticed he likes to use lots of real characters in his writing, and specific details on his firearms. Good stuff.
J.T. Edson was known for his exacting details on firearms, as well as other western-period items (such as saddles, etc.). His descriptions are so good that I have recognized several period firearms, once I saw them for the first time, just from his writing. Very good stuff.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Well I'll be. I often wondered where your nom de guerre came from.

8)
A friend of mine convinced me to read this one first, stating the title character reminded him of me. Reminded me of me too - as I was that age when I started reading the books. :D Natural fit that it would become my name here! :wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

gamekeeper wrote:It's great that so many books can be found on Kindle but it's still fun to search old book shops for used copies, if I can't find what I'm searching for I usually find something else I can't live without.... :D
Same here....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "