Browning 92 44mag - what's the going rate

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Browning 92 44mag - what's the going rate

Post by Walker »

The local shop has one for 449. Outside has seen a lot of use but bore and action are still good.

Thanks guys,

Terry
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Browning 92 44mag - what's the going rate

Post by Homer »

That's a good price. They go around here (Phoenix) for about 700 bones in good shape.
"Take everything but the fire." Long Hair in "The Cowboys"
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

449 is cheap in the Browning 92 market.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Thanks guys, I'm heading over to take a another look at it.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Well, the bluing is close to perfect, the bore looks like a mirror, and the stocks look like the kids played cowboys and indians all summer with it. They're holding it for a week since it can't be sold for 30 days anyway.

Since I'm more left eye dominant these days, thinking about mounting a fastfire on it. Can't hurt the value.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The stock finish can be "fixed", but please be aware that the Browning epoxy stock finish can be a PITA to deal with.

The B-92's were not prepped (D&T) for either a receiver or tang peep sight, and the front sight blade isn't easily replaceable; so a FF II can be an excellent choice, utilizing Doug Turnbull's FF II base which fits Winchester leverguns.

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/product-cate ... re-mounts/

Besides the side0mount for the Fastfire (which requires D&T), Turnbull also makes an adaptor mount for the rear sight barrel dovetail ( I'm dis-remembering if my Browning B-92 rear bbl sight was attached via a dovetail or just screwed to the bbl).

Image Image

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sat May 21, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I drilled and tapped my own for receiver sight, the front had a dimple drilled into it with a spot of white paint which I covered with dayglow orange fingernail polish. Works great.

If you know someone with a mill you could get the front sight base split for a blade like the originals were, then changing sights is somewhat simpler. I'm good with the bright orange paint though, it shows up in low light much better than fiber optics.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

If I remember correctly, I gave 750 plus tax for mine
Mine is in new condition
You wouldn't go wrong at that price
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Well, I don't have a pistol cartridge 92 at the moment... might as well get something that will go with my old flattop 44 and maybe my 44 specials if it'll cycle them. I liked Docs night scout setups. Might do something similiar with a pearson no drill mount. Already have an unused fastfire II and laser sight.

Count now stands at
1 1894 src 25-35
1 94 carbine 30wcf
1 takedown 1886 33wcf
1 model 71 short rifle - photos to come
1 1895 src 30-40 in parts
1 94BB 375win
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Pete44ru wrote:.
The stock finish can be "fixed", but please be aware that the Browning epoxy stock finish can be a PITA to deal with.
Very true. I've refinished an A-Bolt and a 92, both were a beast to strip. And refinishing to match the original finish is far beyond my skills.