Tourists in Yellowstone "rescue" baby bison.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Tourists in Yellowstone "rescue" baby bison.

Post by sore shoulder »

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tou ... ne-n574461

Every time I go to Yellowstone there's more of these type. Injuries from the buffalo are becoming more prevalent due to selfie incidents etc. Despite the billboard sized signs all over the park stating keep 25 feet away. I live in the middle of buffalo ranchers and they won't go near them unless they are in a truck or on a fast ATV. The calf had obviously been abandoned and was already wolf food.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Ysabel Kid

Re: Tourists in Yellowstone "rescue" baby bison.

Post by Ysabel Kid »

"They didn't care," Heusevelet told the news site. "They sincerely thought they were doing a service and helping that calf by trying to save it from the cold."

They didn't "think"; they "felt". Modus operandi of the left. Results are always the same... :roll:
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I think it's funny they thought it was cold in Yellowstone right now. They have no clue how cold it gets there in winter.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

That baby Bison had to be put down because of their ignorance:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/17/ba ... r-suv.html
The Lord Bless You

Terry
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

We encountered a blacktail fawn a few years ago that had just been hit by a passing car on a county road outside of town. Its back was broken and it was in excruciating pain. Once a deputy arrived a few minutes later, he took stock of the scene and decided to solve the issue by putting the poor critter out of its misery with a single shot to the head after we dragged it off the road into a roadside ditch.

You should have seen the outcry. A couple of ignorant suburban soccer moms went bat-stuff crazy even though he and I kept telling them the deer was past rescue and needed to be put down. One kept insisting that she had called a local veterinarian who could take a look.

People are just plain stupid when it comes to cute fuzzy animals.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

stew71 wrote:We encountered a blacktail fawn a few years ago that had just been hit by a passing car on a county road outside of town. Its back was broken and it was in excruciating pain. Once a deputy arrived a few minutes later, he took stock of the scene and decided to solve the issue by putting the poor critter out of its misery with a single shot to the head after we dragged it off the road into a roadside ditch.

You should have seen the outcry. A couple of ignorant suburban soccer moms went bat-stuff crazy even though he and I kept telling them the deer was past rescue and needed to be put down. One kept insisting that she had called a local veterinarian who could take a look.

Had to shoot a cow once after a tractor-trailer accident... roaming around downtown after being blinded... Mayor wanted me arrested.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:
stew71 wrote:We encountered a blacktail fawn a few years ago that had just been hit by a passing car on a county road outside of town. Its back was broken and it was in excruciating pain. Once a deputy arrived a few minutes later, he took stock of the scene and decided to solve the issue by putting the poor critter out of its misery with a single shot to the head after we dragged it off the road into a roadside ditch.

Had to shoot a cow once after a tractor-trailer accident... roaming around downtown after being blinded... Mayor wanted me arrested.
Were you trying to field dress it at Broad & High Streets.... :?:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Griff wrote:

Ya gotta listen to Jerry Clower's "Uncle Versy's trial". Sounds just like your situation. It's a hoot. :lol: I'd post a link but have no clue how to do it. :?:

Irv
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Daisyman wrote:
Griff wrote:

Ya gotta listen to Jerry Clower's "Uncle Versy's trial". Sounds just like your situation. It's a hoot. :lol: I'd post a link but have no clue how to do it. :?:

Irv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqw4IayN1AI

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I don't think the bison calf "had" to be put down. I think those that made the decision to put the calf down were a bunch of F---------ng morons(pardon my language). I am sure that there was someone with a bison ranch or a native american tribe that would have taken that calf and bottle fed it and raised it. I sure had to do that when I was young and one of grandads cows had a calf and the cow would reject the calf for some reason.

I think they put the calf down just to make a point so others wouldn't do what those others did and put the calf in the van.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Read the article. The buffalo in Yellowstone have brucellosis which requires long term quarantine before being released out of the park which means care and feeding. The park does not have those facilities. They simply let nature take its course and so far are very successful as the many species that flourish there attest to. That calf was wolf food before the citiots put it in their car. It had been abandoned by the herd.
11B30
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Saddens me they say they put the calf down, as mentioned.. to prevent others from doing same. Maybe if I dream hard enough the calf is alive a well in a buffalo witness protection program. Just seem like a terrible waste of the national mammal if they didn't save it
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

City folk completely clueless of what happens outside "urban America". "Oh, that poor baby is cold!". Some of the answers here have shown the same ignorance...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Bronco wrote:Saddens me they say they put the calf down, as mentioned.. to prevent others from doing same. Maybe if I dream hard enough the calf is alive a well in a buffalo witness protection program. Just seem like a terrible waste of the national mammal if they didn't save it
Said park has managed a small population of buffalo into several large healthy herds. Rest assured there are plenty of healthy national mammals to see there. Nature is cruel and weeds out the weak. Man sympathizes with the weak. Saving that calf and re introducing it later would have most likely weakened the genes the park has been promoting through natural selection instead of misguided emotional responses by the ignorant. Yellowstone wolves kill hundreds of buffalo and elk calves every year, I've watched them do it while listening to other visitors wringing their hands and asking if the Rangers were going to stop it. Are you sad for those too?
11B30
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I blame Disney.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

If only we could get every carload of bleeding heart tourists to "RESCUE" a wolf or two it should solve a lot of problems... Just thinking....
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I read an article that said the tourists that picked up the calf were fined, and that the calf was put down for multiple reasons, including rejection by the herd, and after contact with humans it would not stay away from humans and kept going to tourists.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

I am of the same opinion of sore shoulder and
Les Staley.

hayabusa
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Yea, they were each (father and son) fined $110, and further charges may be pending. Yellowstone has been doing an excellent job of deterring human interaction with the animals. 20 years ago you couldn't drive through the park without having to stop to avoid running over a bear. Now if you see one you are lucky. This has been very good for the bears and mitigating bad interactions with humans. I wouldn't doubt that a tourist had fed the calf in the past, which encouraged it to continue approaching humans for food. I'm very glad to see the parks service is unapologetic for their actions. Nature doesn't have rehab and rescue centers. It has prey and predators.
11B30
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Les Staley wrote:If only we could get every carload of bleeding heart tourists to "RESCUE" a wolf or two it should solve a lot of problems... Just thinking....
Like put a full grown wolf in their mini-van? I'd pay to see that...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

jeepnik wrote:I blame Disney.

My favorite Disney characters. Irritates the stuff out of my wife and daughter when I say they are just misunderstood. :lol:

11B30
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

$110 seems like a miscarriage of justice.

In some states if you poach an animal you get a fine plus you have to make restitution to the state for the value of the animal. That part can be kind of pricey.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I guess what saddens me is the animal was put down because of the stupidity of humans, not natural events.

Another thing I do not understand is that others get personal in attacking those who's post they disagree with !
Not referring to sore shoulder's response to me but other responses.

This place is supposed to high class and I love it here. The personal attacks just lower the bar so to speak.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Bronco wrote:I guess what saddens me is the animal was put down because of the stupidity of humans, not natural events.

Another thing I do not understand is that others get personal in attacking those who's post they disagree with !

This place is supposed to high class and I love it here. The personal attacks just lower the bar so to speak.
What personal attacks? I didn't see anything like that. Maybe the thread has been tidied up?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

92&94 wrote:
Bronco wrote:I guess what saddens me is the animal was put down because of the stupidity of humans, not natural events.

What personal attacks? I didn't see anything like that. Maybe the thread has been tidied up?
+1 :?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
BigMike349
Levergunner

Post by BigMike349 »

While it may be more prevalent now, I distinctly remember going to Yellowstone as a kid in the early 90s and witnessing some foreign tourists trying to get close enough to pet a wild bison. When the bison got close enough to the people it started freaking out and tried to tear apart a new little pine tree. People visiting parks have always been ignorant of wild animals.