What can you tell me about the Buffalo Bill Commemorative?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AmBraCol
Webservant

What can you tell me about the Buffalo Bill Commemorative?

Post by AmBraCol »

A Winchester 94showed up down here, it's got me curious. My guess is post '64, but really I'm fairly clueless as the commemoratives have never been of much interest to me. But it's a levergun in 30-30 and those are few and far between down here.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Re: What can you tell me about the Buffalo Bill Commemorativ

Post by Aussie Chris »

They are a nice looking commemorative. In both a carbine and rifle. Both in 30-30. Here are the specifics:

1968 BUFFALO BILL 30-30 cal. 122169 mfg. (rifles & carbines)

Engraved blue receiver, nickel plated forend cap, barrel bands and buttplate, medallion in stock

RIFLE - 26" heavy octagon barrel $545

CARBINE - 20" heavy octagon barrel $545

Consecutively Serial Numbered Matched Pair – Rifle & Carbine $1200

I had the opportunity to buy one here NIB about 4 years ago for $800 AUD. I prefered the legendary Frontiersmen in 38-55 instead. How much is it and what is the condition like?

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Junior who used to post here and he has now passed away. If you look on his web site http://castbullet.com/ That was his favorite rifle. He wrote a few articles on it IIRC.

His daughter still maintains the site in his honor.

Added you can start here: http://castbullet.com/shooting/3030.htm
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Had an Octagon Rifle Buffalo Bill.
As previously posted, they also came as a 20 inch carbine.
Loved my rifle and only parted with it to buy an original 1894 rifle with Octagon barrel.
Those Buffalo Bill rifles are lovely guns.
I know nothing about the carbines.
Pop.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

My father bought one NIB back in the late 60's when they were offered by Winchester. It had a light colored stock with a medallion in the middle of the butt stock, sported an octagonal barrel and ours had a 24" barrel ( ...it was not a carbine ). Most folks apparently kept them in the box, but my family used ours extensively for deer hunting and if I remember correctly - it was a pretty good shooter as well. When it was sold or traded, it showed some of its use, but was always cared for.

Regards, Vic
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Here's a pic he sent. He's mighty proud of it, especially considering the dearth of ammunition here between the Canal and the Equator. He claims he's got legal papers on it, but there's no telling if the powers that be would make the transfer or not - nor how difficult it would be to obtain ammunition since it's not a regularly imported item in the official outlets. He's asking $1,700 US dollars equivalent (at current exchange rate) which is "cheap" when one sees how much legal firearms sell for down here. I'll pass, but wanted to share a rare (down here) levergun since they don't cross my path very often in these latitudes. Below is a picture, that looks like a carbine barrel to my eye.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

It is the so-called carbine, though the format is what Winchester used to consider a short rifle.

I'll second the appreciation for the Buffalo Bill guns, as well as some of the other commemoratives. They are the affordable way to get a shooter class gun with older style features, like octagon barrels, better grade wood on some, checkering on some, and just a bit different. I'm much less worked up about pre-64 than I used to be, having owned a number of pre and post 64 guns. Pre-war is more significant step up to me, and early type carbines (the so-called SRC's and "eastern carbines") and rifles are much more interesting than a carbine that looks the same as later guns. Id pick a good commemorative I liked over a plain post-war, pre-64 carbine at this point.

Was curious to see the picture, there is also a variation on the Buffalo Bill, the one of 300. Very different gun. Ive seen exactly one in person. Stunning wood which looks like true exhibition class grade, fine checkering, no stock medallion, very high polish blue, gold trim. All around in an entirely different class than the standard grade Buffalo Bill guns, and worth a bit more. Last I looked them up they showed $2650 in the blue book, that was several years ago.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Post-64 (1964-82) receivers aren't blued - they are made of sintered (google) steel, then iron-plated & coated with various finishes.

The "blue" isn't blued, it's coated by one of the Du-Lite Corporation's (google) finishes, that looks like bluing to the un-initiated.

The other Post-64 receiver finishes were black/gold/silver/pewter/brass plating, black-oxide "bluing", and a finish that only looks like case colors (on the Model 94 Antique Carbine).

The subject Buffalo Bill receiver isn't blued, like the bbl & magazine tube are - every BB commemorative I've coon-fingered had the same black chrome plating that my 1871-1971 NRA Model 94 commemorative was issued with. (I bought the "rifle" version ILO the full-stocked "musket" version).

The plus side of the plating is that (unless scratched) the receiver finish will remain intact for a very long time.

The minus side of the plating is that care must be taken when using sharp-edged tools around the various edges built into the receiver (like a screwdriver used to mount a receiver peep sight, or remove the stock, etc) - lest the sharp edged tool chip out some of the plating at the subject edge.

Up here, the BB Rifle & Carbine usually bring the same $$$$, in equal condition, $450-$500 in 100% condition, from sane sellers (with insane sellers, the sky's the limit on the price ;) )

TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Not to detract from this thread, but I am fortunate enough to have purchased a Marlin 30-30 CB new - back when they were still made. These rifles have a lot of similarities with the Winchester BB Commemorative Rifle.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Some had feeding issues with that stamped metal lifter, IIRC.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JHarold »

I bought 2, one of each carbine/rifle new in boxes with sleeves.
never shot, all wrapped up in paper. beautiful rifles, but
I ask myself, what the hell are you going to do with them.
taking up space in gun safe.
a good friend had got them when his father passed on.