30/30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
aussie
Levergunner 2.0

30/30

Post by aussie »

This has probably been done to death, but I am just curious what the general consensus of opinion is regarding the preference of 150gn or 170gn projectiles in a Winchester 30/30 and why.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: 30/30

Post by Griff »

Most folks seem to prefer the 170gr. over the 150gr. Myself not included. Reasons are accuracy for both camps. It might either be the particular bullet, bore, load, or combination of components. I like the 150 for accuracy, their efficiency on deer. For smaller game I like the Sierra 125 HPs.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

THE very first 30-30 ammo I tried was 170. It shot good. I never saw a reason to change up. A secondary factor is that there are big black bears around here, and believe that the heavier boolit might be a little better. This is all my personal opinion. YMMV....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote:THE very first 30-30 ammo I tried was 170. It shot good. I never saw a reason to change up. A secondary factor is that there are big black bears around here, and believe that the heavier boolit might be a little better. This is all my personal opinion. YMMV....
+1 -- I totally agree with BlaineG. I exclusively hunted with a 30/30, first with a Winchester 94 Trapper and then with a Marlin 336 since 1985 to 2009. I reloaded and used factory and always hunted with the 170 grain bullet... :)
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I have used both depending on what the rifle seemed to prefer. The deer I killed with them did not seem to like either.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

150 core lokt, and 125 Sierra jhp.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

BlaineG wrote:THE very first 30-30 ammo I tried was 170. It shot good. I never saw a reason to change up. A secondary factor is that there are big black bears around here, and believe that the heavier boolit might be a little better. This is all my personal opinion. YMMV....

Ayuh.

We got large black bears.......and moose. Whitetails are good size here too.
Mostly, I just like the 170's better.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

The 170s give slightly better penetration on large-bodied animals, but I base my decision on the rifle and how it likes a particular load. If it shoots better with one over the other, that's the one I choose. The small penetration advantage of the 170s that I have observed is really not great enough to be the deciding factor.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I could say the same thing but in reverse. The first 30-30 ammo I shot way back in the pre-dark ages was 150 gr. I liked it, for me it shot great. I tried some old stuff, probably 160gr and it shot OK. Tried some 170 stuff and it shot OK then stayed with the 150 gr.

In my then neck of the woods there are ( or were then ) no bear or large predators so the need for a heavier bullet wasn't there.

Later when I started hand loading my own I found that the Speer 150 gr bullet had the best shape of them all kept it's accuracy out a bit farther with standard normal loads.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

170 grain Core-Lokt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Not to veer away from this good thread, but I have liked a 160 cast bullet in my 30-30. But that's just me 'cause I haven't taken it hunting...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm a big fan of using "heavy for caliber" boolits - and only wish the .30-30 was factory loaded with 190gr JSP's, like the (.30 caliber) .303 Savage was.

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I prefer small bleeding bullet-hole wounds as compared to gaping holes.

I have encountered many more of the latter while using 150gr bullets. Not every shot is perfect, and inadequate depth of penetration or too small an animal can result in cavitation wounds. I understand this, and I don't want to clean up the mess.

I use the 170gr because I seem to get better and cleaner penetration on every size game.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

A few years back I was shooting down in Texas through 86er's arrangements with a bunch of levergunners. I took a truck load of guns and ammo down there and took a few head of game off the property. In the 30wcf, I had 170 and 150 grain ammo. I shot a Corsican ram broadside with a 170 hitting the ram behind the shoulder angling towards far shoulder. The ram ran away. It took us quite a while to find the ram, it was standing when we found it. I used a 150 grain bullet to put it down for good. Wound channel was very significantly more pronounced with the 150 than the 170. The 170 completely passed through the ram. Later on that day, I was involved in tracking a blackbuck and I had the same 150gr ammo. The shot anchored the critter like the hammer of Thor. I was using ugly duck, the green Winchester 94 that one of our forum members bought from me.

My lesson learned was the 170 seemed to over penetrate on thin skinned critters. I used it on pigs later and they performed great. So I actually use 150s on deer locally, and 170 or 190s on hogs, bear, or other larger critters. My experience and data base is small. If you search on 86er's posts, he did an extensive report on caliber performance on all sorts of game and had it sorted by bullet weight.

I'm going pig hunting here in pa soon and I will be using the 190s to try them out on anchoring big game and intend to take that load north for caribou next year.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... erformance

Here is a topic started way back. Down the first page, 86er posted some great info as well as many others who posted on the topic :D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

This past season (2015)
Deer went 35 to 40 yards, dropped over dead.
Ammo. Used:

Bullet entrance:

Bullet exit:

What more do ya need?
30-30 rules :wink:
Nuff said 8)
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

The o'l timer's knew what worked :)

Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

My Marlin 336 30-30 is very accurate with 170 gr jacketed and cast bullets. Doesn't like any 150 gr bullets accuracy-wise

Dan
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

My 336 will shoot both equally well, but it really likes the Hornady 160gr GummiTips. I've not heard any complaints from any buck or hog that found it's way into the freezer.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
aussie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by aussie »

This is why I love this site, so much information based on experience. Thanks fellas.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

cshold wrote:The o'l timer's knew what worked :)

Those are the ancient 30 W.C.F. rounds I fired off way back in the 60s. My early 1900s SRC loved 'em. I still have a few left, but not enough to actually shoot.

Love that box.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***