Truck Campers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Truck Campers

Post by TraderVic »

My wife and I are in both retired ( in theory anyway ) and are in the early stages of transitioning out of a grass-fed beef enterprise on our farm. We're studying truck campers for our farm truck, which is a 2003 Ford F350. We're looking to adventure more around the Upper Midwest ( Northern MN, Northern WI, UP of MI, etc. ).

We are experienced campers, but not with anything like this. We're not looking to spend anymore time camping in an RV campground than is absolutely necessary. Any experienced recommendations out there ?

Regards, Vic
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Truck Campers

Post by Malamute »

You may find some useful info on the Expedition Portal forum.

It can be a bit overwhelming at first, but its broken down into many subsections that can give more specific info. Some of the trip reports may have good info also. Ive found interesting info in many subsections I wasn't exactly expecting to, so the curiosity was well rewarded in just looking around.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

This is mine. Yes that is me styling.

I would research Lancers. I believe they have an aluminum frame. Mine is wooden and the bed that is over the cab sags. The aluminum frame ones won't do that. I have traveled across the country in this one. It has the 3 way fridge, run it on propane going down the road. Camp in primitive camping all the time , don't need hook ups. Don't need to eat out much , when traveling just stop and eat lunch in the back. Mine is as wide as my dual wheels. The f350 rides real nice with the weight in the back. It is nice not pulling a trailer, parking , turning around is never a problem. Camp grounds can always find a spot for me , because I don't need much space. Can camp in the tent spots. I keep the bag chairs, pop,bottled water, fishing poles, in the space between the bed of the truck and camper. (by the wheel humps). It's the only way to travel in my opinion.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

BenT summed it up pretty good. I've had truck campers over the years along with pull behind trailers and fifth wheels, (a couple of tent campers too), and by far the best has been the truck campers. My campground is pretty much where I end up at dark. If I were to get another one, a Lance would be my first choice by a mile. Really, really well built. They even make an insulated model or two for those who like to camp in the winter.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

We have had 5 different RV's including a truck camper. They are OK , depending on your lifestyle. We once got mudded in way out in the desert of Wyoming, the two of us and a large dog, stuck in the camper in a continuing deluge for about 3 days. Another time we decided to do the Oregon coast tour , only saw the sun 1/2 day out of 6, got mighty tiresome being cooped up in the camper. There is no room to relax, the little dinette is the only place to sit and it gets smaller and smaller as the days go on. My wife stumbled coming out of it one day, fell all the way to the ground and broke her wrist. We got rid of it soon after. IMHO, the camper or 5th wheel is a vastly better way to go.

If you get one, spend the money and get the Lance. Keep your eyes out for a good used one and save megabux.
If you are touring around and don't want to spend the money for an RV park, just pull in to the back corner of the parking lot at the local hospital and spend the night, we did this several times and nobody ever bothered us.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

My wife and I drove over north of the Twin Cities and visited a Lance RV dealer. Looked through several different Lance truck campers. Something to think about. We're also studying Northern-Lite truck campers as well.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

JN: Sorry your Oregon Coast tour was so unsatisfactory. Boy it can stay wet over there for days at a time, as you found. I haven't spent much time in a camper, but agree they tend to get smaller by the hour.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've only had trailers & camper shells, just to keep the camp stuff dry. Currently have a 16'x20' wall tent. I should get a set of aluminum poles for a frame, but currently only have teepee poles... 25'ers... makes for a LONG load. My folks had campers, trailers and what-all... And, I've borrowed them all.

One thing I've found with everything... you need more truck than the builder sez. They want to sell you one that sure... your ½-T p/u can haul... but it's maxed out doing so. And that makes hauling it, whether carrying or towing, more like a job than a vacation.

I definitely prefer a travel trailer to a camper. For a guy alone, the camper makes sense... but even with just two people, they're cramped. The only exception is when you drag along a very large awning. I have a 14'x16' canvas fly that I use with that big tent I have. When I had the tent alone, it was a pain to have everything inside when the weather turned sour... which it surely will.

With the added fly, I can have a nice sized "porch" to put the table up, cook under, or just sit under enjoying the view... why you go to the wilds anyway, right?

I went almost a full circle, started with just a mattress in the back of a wagon, then went to a van, then to a tent, added a camper shell, added a tent trailer, replaced it with a hard side trailer, then back to a tent... albeit, a VERY large one! Now, I think I want a living quarter gooseneck... but a 30+ footer, with just 2 or 3 horse stalls in back.

Good luck with the search... it's half the fun! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm still looking, and looking, and looking. :lol:
Since I hope to be spending lots of time in the woods, I'll either have to get a really small teardrop, or maybe one of these:

http://www.fourwh.com/

The company has roof racks that can hold a small boat, or additional camping supplies that won't fit inside.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I pull a fishing boat, so towing a camper is not an option. Some choose to run a camper and a boat in tandem, but that's a bit long.

I also have two canvas wall tents....a 12x14 and a 10x12. Great tents, but a lot of gear to haul, unpack, re-pack, etc., for trips.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Vic & Blaine...I can vouch for the pop-ups from Four Wheel campers. Sort of a cross between the standard cab-over and the pop-trailer/outfitter tent. They're not as insulated as the hard-shell but lighter, more aerodynamic, and just as fun. I've used them as a base camp for week long hunting trips and camped all over the West. I've even spent a few seasons camped out in our local ski area parking lots to get first tracks after a storm.

I kid you not....we can have camp set up...with adult beverages, of course, inside of 10 minutes. :mrgreen:

We've owned the Hawk from Four Wheel Campers:

http://www.fourwh.com/product/hawk-shor ... ular-size/

And the Bronco 1250 from Palomino...

http://www.palominorv.com/product-detai ... LineID=374

We have a Dodge 2500 diesel and pulling a 20ft fishing boat with this on the back is no problem.

You CANNOT go wrong with Four Wheel Campers. Top notch company and first-rate customer service. Palomino had some issues at first but they've really listened to their customers and upgraded their products.

As for the roof rack systems, you'll want the exterior steps. Or bring a ladder. We used to carry a 16' Ocean Kayak on top for dive trips to the coast.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I've had a number of truck campers and now a Toy Hauler travel trailer. My last TC was a Palomino Bronco 1250

Great camper and served me well

Now I have a 20' Forest River Grey Wolf 19RR....LOVE IT!

And most of the time, this is how I camp

Pros and Cons

TC...Pros...easy to drive, stealth camping, can tow a boat, no other vehicle maintenance
Cons...small interior, no or very small shower, once set up in camp can't easily use the truck, need a much heavier truck than you think.

Trailer...Pros....a REAL shower, great bathroom, lots of space, lots of storage, easy to set up, tow vehicle available for sight seeing, store runs, etc
Cons...another set of axles and tires to maintain, not easily maneuvered, registration, stealth camping is not so stealth.

Tent.....
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I've been thinking about another slide in. Had a 12 foot for the long bed crew cab Ford diesel and towing a jeep it was a really great hunting setup. I've had travel trailers and while they're nice it looks like you can get some pretty decent comfort in one of those hard side palominos and even the popups look doable and I like the low profile/center of gravity.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30