the colt officers model

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

the colt officers model

Post by Walker »

I'm a 1911 guy. I've owned Sigs, high-powers, and a few other DA autos and keep coming back to the 1911 because it puts that first round where I need it right now.

We recently moved and are getting used to the neighborhood sounds, so when my wife called me from the back of the house to check out a high pitched scraping outside our dining room window I grabbed an officers model close by. I wasn't too worried until she started out the front door while I was still pulling on my boots. Thankfully it was just a neighbor taking out the trash, but I quickly discovered what you guys probably already knew; that little 1911 fits perfectly in the back pocket of a pair of wranglers and you can keep your hand on it under an untucked shirt without anyone noticing.
20160412_010515.JPG
20160412_010407.JPG
Some of the locals think that Tim LaFrance might have done the work, but whoever it was knew his stuff. After putting a few thousand rounds down range it's what I'd want for anything up close and sudden. Strangely, you don't notice the flames from the hybrid barrel while you're shooting and it'll put all 7 rounds center mass as fast as you can pull the trigger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Walker on Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: the colt officers model

Post by yooper2 »

That's a mean little piece there, pretty cool. I will admit that I clicked on this thinking it was about target revolvers though!

Eric
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My "Fat Officer's Model" (12-shot version) has been a reliable and compact fistful of power that, as you say, packs easily in most trouser pockets. The double-stack girth is only 0.15" more than the single-stack (5.62" vs. 5.77" by my measurements), and truly feels more comfortable in my hands and points more naturally. The only thing about the Officer sized guns that took some getting used to is that their disassembly is a bit different, especially if you get any of the after-market recoil rod/spring setups.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ok Walker...that's nice but I was a bit disappointed as I "assumed" by the title of the thread you were referring to a "real" Officers Model...the Colt revolver. :D

Had my hands on a version of one on those last night....a pre war......in ...22..... (Gotta go down and get it)------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

J Buck
Levergunner

Post by J Buck »

I sold the one I had several years ago to finance a Sig P220. One of my biggest of many gun trading mistakes. And sadly, not the last one either.
"When you should shoot, shoot. Don't talk."- Tuco
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Sixgun wrote:Ok Walker...that's nice but I was a bit disappointed as I "assumed" by the title of the thread you were referring to a "real" Officers Model...the Colt revolver. :D

Had my hands on a version of one on those last night....a pre war......in ...22..... (Gotta go down and get it)------6

Hey Six, any chance you could snap a couple of pictures of that? This fella has a soft spot for target sighted Colts.

Eric
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

yooper2 wrote:
Hey Six, any chance you could snap a couple of pictures of that? This fella has a soft spot for target sighted Colts.
Eric,
Sure but I'm not sure when I'm headed back down there......most likely by the end of the week. It's a nice gun....a 95% er. I "think". (Don't remember much anymore as I was not desperately interested in it) it was a "g". It's sitting down at Targetmaster.com----6

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice Colt Walker........wait....Colt Walker? I mean nice Colt, Mr. Walker. :D

I carried a nice custom Officers for several years. It was nice but I traded it for a LW Commander.
Recently I picked up a loaded Springfield Micro Compact and have been carrying it quite a bit. Like you said, its very comfy and and easy to conceal. Like you, I'm just a 1911 guy....and a .45 guy in general.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Your learning like a chip off the old block Jay! Colt Walker! I do have a few of them, NIB with the box signed by Sammy himself.

Hey, ya coming out this summer? We gots to pull the trigger a bit.---6

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha pretty good huh bud?

I know man, just talking about it with the wife the other day. We haven't been down there since I saw you.
Don't you worry bud. I wouldn't make the trip without giving you a shout. Gonna set aside more time next time we go.
Lookin forward to it.
Same goes for me. You got an open invite bud.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Sorry Guys, it didn't even cross my mind about the first officers model. We don't see them that often here, but feel free to throw in some pics :D
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The Officer never grew on me, even with me having fairly small hands. I don't shoot them very well.

The Commander is the smallest I go in a 1911. I don't carry a 1911 for serious business, but when I replace my now-gone Mil-Spec, it's a tossup whether it'll be a 5" or a 4" as I like them both.

I once watched a gunwriter (apparently unintentionally, but we weren't going to ask) THROW a Officer's Model he was testing at the target from close range.

Watching the guy chuck a loaded .45 at the feet of the target, scramble to retrieve it then hammer the target with however many rounds the drill required in a training class was........interesting.....

Slick grips, sweaty hands (97F and no shade, Texas summer) and short grip without getting a firm hold of it first......
1894c

Post by 1894c »

WALKER -- NICE COLT 1911, I always thought that the Officer's Model was a great option. As for me I started life with revolvers and a couple of Colt 1911's -- then in 1996 I transitioned over to Glock and never looked back, first in 9mm, then in .40S&W, then in .45ACP, now back to 9mm (Glock 19/26/43)... :)
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

This is what I thought of when I saw Colt Officers Model:

Officers Model Match, 38 Special Cartridge. Mfg. 1960
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Did anyone see my Officer's Model Match?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

The Colt Officers ACP. 8)

20+ years ago mine became my "What can I do to it now?" gun. :lol:
It doesn't get much use now days. Occasionally I get to thinking I should sell it, then I take it out and handle it and go "oh nooo" and put it back in the safe.

Slow is just slow.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Nice 1911, rather fond of them myself. Got this one from a close friend when his department restricted off duty carry to revolvers (what they carried at work at the time). Been to a few trouble spots at work with me over the years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

What is the flat metal piece over the slide serrations just forward of the safety?
Not being a Colt auto guy, I am guessing it protects the thumb (high) in your grip of the pistol?
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

M. M. Wright wrote:Did anyone see my Officer's Model Match?
Yes Sir! I like that Officer Model. I never had one, but had a S&W pre-war Model 1905 4th change target. Let Dad take that one home.

The side plate over the slide serations was for folks who used the thumbs up grip instead of thumbs forward. Kept their grip from interfering with the slide, I think. My inclination is toward the thumbs up grip, no real reason though, just never knew better.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

TWHBC wrote:What is the flat metal piece over the slide serrations just forward of the safety?
Not being a Colt auto guy, I am guessing it protects the thumb (high) in your grip of the pistol?
More of it keeping your thumb from slowing down the slide than protecting it, but yes.

My thumb has polished a couple of my guns shiny in that spot. :D
Slow is just slow.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

^exactly that, just didn't put it into the right words. For some reason, I'm very accurate with that grip without thought.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm a huge fan of Officer's Model lowers, particularly the Light Weight versions, with "ultra thin" panels. It ust carries and points best for me.

That said, I am NOT a fan of the shorter barrel. Not enough muzzle weight or sight radius and I've never cottoned to the flared barrel or bushingless guns. Can't swap barrels or other barrel accessories as easily.

My GoTo 1911 design is the 4.25" Upper and Officer's lower. Best of both worlds.

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Paladin wrote:Nice 1911, rather fond of them myself. Got this one from a close friend when his department restricted off duty carry to revolvers (what they carried at work at the time). Been to a few trouble spots at work with me over the years.
Never seen a 3" with an extended barrel. That usually takes a bit more work than a barrel swap. What you got going on there?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!