Glockless.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Glockless.....

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Glockless.....

Post by jhrosier »

Ray,

I bought a police trade-in Glock 17 (9mm).
It was not much more than the .40 and lets me use the less expensive 9mm ammo.
It is just a range toy. I wouldn't bet my life on a used and abused police trade-in.

Jack
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Do some checking for NYPD trade-in guns... I think those were ones with the known problems... but... I've always been "Glockless" and don't pay that much attention.

Other'n those, I wouldn't worry about police trade-ins... most are traded in due to changes in models due to departmental policy. However, I wouldn't buy over the internet without a liberal inspection period.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

NYPD Glocks would be 19's.

I owned two NYPD Glock 19's, not trade ins but retiree guns. Both with holster wear and not much else. (paid $225 and $250)
Slow is just slow.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Ray wrote:Never owned a glock though I have at least a dozen plastic-framed self-loading pistols, my first being a Ruger P-95 in 2002......In fact, up until recently, I have been proud of myself for not mindlessly following the masses re. the glock(s)......

B u t these police trade-in model 23's in .40 that quite a few of the distributor/wholesellers have for well under $400 sure seem to be a deal that cannot be passed-up.....

Then there are the critics who say the glocks in .40 wear prematurely and suffer from cracked frames at 5000 rounds or less which is probably the reason that they are traded-in......

Your advice/opinions/thoughts are appreciated !......
Stick with Gen 3 or Gen 4 on the .40s and you'll be okay. It was earlier models had the problems.
Buying an using something because it is a useful product is not the same as following the masses. I resisted tupperware guns for ever and ever....now I own 6 Glocks. I can lay one down and pick up another and shoot it just as well. Very consistent from gun to gun, regardless of caliber and model.

If you are a 1st responder, you can get a NIB Blue label Glock for $398.20 with 3 magazines
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
1894c

Post by 1894c »

The majority carry round at my LE Agency is a Glock 22/27 in .40S&W... we only have had small parts break on a small minority, most will be carried and shot over 15+ years before they get traded away, but most don't get traded because the LEO is allowed to purchase them at a very reduced price. I know some LEO's who have carried and shot their Glock .40's for over 20+ years, some with over 30,000+ rounds sent down range...BUY WITH CONFIDENCE... :)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm kind of sold on the 9mm's of course a .40 can be converted to 9mm if you want to. The G19 is about the most popular Glock out there. I've been a dyed in the wool S&W revolver guy all my life until I first shot a Glock. I find the attraction almost magical. They just work, every time.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I bought a Gen 2 used Model 22 (.40 Cal) a few years ago, and had someone who is Glock Armorer Qualified go through it. He replaced all the springs, and a couple of little parts that are intended to be replaced. It has worked perfectly from Day 1. I have no issues with it. My hands just don't fit a Glock quite right, and it feels weird to shoot. That is NEVER a problem with the gun since there are many guns and they are all designed a little differently. Find the one which feels good and that you like and trust. When I decide on another pistol in .40 Caliber I will trade in my Glock.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

The .40 issue is a combination of problems. A round loaded to near over pressure levels trying desperately to be a 10mm (and utterly failing), an unsupported chamber and cases that were weak at the head. That's 3 strikes just waiting for an anomaly. I personally have a visceral dislike of the .40 but that's another story. Suffice to say it doesn't do anything a 9mm won't do, except you have less rounds and a real possibly it will blow up. There isn't a pistol on the planet with a better reputation that is well documented for reliability than a 9mm Glock.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I'm more of a 9 and 45 guy, but if you like the 40, pick up the police trade in and have at it. I wouldn't worry about wearing it out.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The comments Ive seen on another forum about the 40's is that there are several parts that seem to wear or break sooner if not changed on schedule, but those parts are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. If you aren't going to shoot tens of thousands of rounds through it in a short time period, I wouldn't worry.

The chambers were changed in the gen 3 and gen 4 models from what I understand, there isn't much issue with the unsupported chambers like the earlier versions did. The 40's are OK for a general propose gun, but like has been mentioned, the 9's are the ones with the best reputation for long life and boring reliability, and are cheaper to shoot.

Someone elsewhere pointed out that despite some guns "not feeling good in the hand", they often can be shot very well. If you aren't checking your times and accuracy in drills, then "seat of the pants" feel may be deceptive as to what one can actually do with the gun. Some simply don't care so much for glocks, but shoot them better then almost everything else, which is annoying to many, but a reality some have come to accept and just go with it.

I resisted for many years, but after shooting one a bit, actually like them pretty well, especially the 19/23 size. The grip is thinner than a stock 1911 grip, the slide is slightly thicker than a 1911, the main issue seems to be that they are squarish, and don't taper at the edges like 1911s as far as concealment.

It wouldnt hurt my feelings to have a 23. 40 ammo was more available in the past ammo freak-outs than other rounds. I don't know that Id be all that more enthused about the 40 as a Hammer of Thor compared to a 9, but may be a bit more useful than the 9 as a woods gun because of its heavier bullets.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I'm a wheel gun guy, but I have had a gen 2 G19 for a looooong time. It just shoots every single time, period. Takes about a minute to take down to clean it, I do that once a year or so unless I forget, doesn't seem to matter, it still goes bang. Every time.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I had a new second gen Glock 23 (40 cal), several years ago. That particular gun, I did not every really warm up to. It was 100% reliable and accurate enough for the usual situation, but had a pretty rough trigger, that would sting my trigger finger when shooting it, and I found it harder to conceal then my beloved Lightweight Colt Commander, so I traded it off, and kept the Colt.

But in later years, I have purchased and own several Glocks form the Glock 22 (full sized 40 cal, and my favorite Glock) down to the little .380 model 42, and I have 17's and a 19 in of course 9mm. All of them have been 100% reliable, and accurate enough for self defense but none of them will shoot with my 1911's for accuracy, but I keep the Glocks because they work, their fairly cheap to buy, and cheap to loose and easy enough to replace if one gets stolen. To me they are just a tool, like a power drill or skillsaw, useful but I have no emotional attachment to them.

As far as the caliber 40 goes, it kicks a little more, so I prefer the full sized Glock 22, and reserve the 9mm for the smaller Glocks. But one thing is for sure, now I don't personally know about human targets, but on animals I am convinced the 40 is a better killer because I have killed too much stuff with them to be convinced otherwise. Those Police trade ins, I am told go back to the Glock for rebuild before they get sold. Maybe not all of them from all departments, but a buddy and I bought two of them, and frankly on mine, I can't tell it from brand new. Although I have seen others that were older that did show their age, and usually the night sights if they have them are brunt out and don't show up anymore, when it gets dark.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Lastmohecken wrote: ....but I keep the Glocks because they work, their fairly cheap to buy, and cheap to loose and easy enough to replace if one gets stolen. To me they are just a tool, like a power drill or skillsaw, useful but I have no emotional attachment to them.

As far as the caliber 40 goes, it kicks a little more, so I prefer the full sized Glock 22, and reserve the 9mm for the smaller Glocks. But one thing is for sure, now I don't personally know about human targets, but on animals I am convinced the 40 is a better killer because I have killed too much stuff with them to be convinced otherwise...
Ive heard the glocks and other modern plastic pistols described as "soul-less black plastic people poppers, working guns with no sentimental attachment", with Smith and Colt revolvers, and 1911s, and blued steel and walnut long guns being for appreciating for their history, craftsmanship and character. That seems to be common among people that do appreciate those aspects of guns.

It wouldn't surprise me if 40s work better on game. The sentiment Ive seen expressed a number of times is that many simply shoot the 9s better (besides cheaper ammo which means more practice and training for a given budget), and whatever incremental difference over a 9 in defensive or LE work is sometimes described as "the juice aint worth the squeeze". Several departments that actually train their people well (not to minimum standards) have had good results in actual shootings over time. 90's to 100% hits, average 4 shots/engagement was mentioned by one guy on a large department with a fairly long history of use. Others have had similar results.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

The .40 Glock is the state of the art in modern combat pistols. You can pay ALOT MORE $ and end up with less gun. When you factor in the out of the box reliability , accuracy, magazine options, etc. nothing beats it.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Ray wrote:Never owned a glock though I have at least a dozen plastic-framed self-loading pistols, my first being a Ruger P-95 in 2002......In fact, up until recently, I have been proud of myself for not mindlessly following the masses re. the glock(s)......

B u t these police trade-in model 23's in .40 that quite a few of the distributor/wholesellers have for well under $400 sure seem to be a deal that cannot be passed-up.....

Then there are the critics who say the glocks in .40 wear prematurely and suffer from cracked frames at 5000 rounds or less which is probably the reason that they are traded-in......

Your advice/opinions/thoughts are appreciated !......

I have never heard this. I have had Glocks since 1994. My generation 2 G22 was made in 1993 and has well over 20,000 rounds of .40 and .357sig through it and I have never replaced a single part yet due to breakage.

It was my dads duty pistol for a long time when he made the switch from revolver to semi. He and I have shot tons and tons of ammo through it and it still gets used today.

I don't follow hype and this or that but just from experience, I trust Glocks and I shoot good with them. Some have issues with the grip angle but I never have.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If I ever buy a Glock it will either be:
  • a) a 10mm, since it does something no other handgun I have can do (other than my 44 Mag Desert Eagle :twisted: )

b) a 9mm, since it has an unbeatable reputation for reliability.
The 40 S&W does nothing a 9mm or 45 ACP double-stack can't do better, in my opinion.

Having said that, I'm still sticking with my 1911 15-shot in 45 ACP, and little SIG 7-shot in 9mm....

....someday I will get a Glock though.... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have gen 4 Glock 40 in 10mm. Flawless operation. I have a small c-more red dot sight on it. I recently put seat covers from Marathon seat covers on the seats of my jeep. Made the Glock my truck gun and it and it's 3 15 round mags ride in the concealed but readily accessible pouch between my legs, and below the lip of the drivers seat. Another box of ammo rides in the pocket that is on the back of the passenger seat. The pistol has a 6 inch barrel. When not in the jeep it rides in a pouch in my back pack.
Good luck with your choice.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Ray wrote:Never owned a glock .In fact, up until recently, I have been proud of myself for not mindlessly following the masses re. the glock(s)......
I understand what you're saying.

However, sometimes following the herd is a smart thing. Like the more than seven million Winchester 94s that have been bought . . .

Or the who knows how many 1911s.

Cat
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Just chiming in here with a coupla thoughts and observations.
I've been a very active handgun shooter since the 1970's. NRA bullseye, IPSC, PPC, handgun hunter, etc,etc.
Being kinda "old school", I stayed with the classics. I carried a 45 acp 1911 in combat Asia. Carried a 9mm Browning Hi-Power in combat in Africa where I was able to carry excellent defensive ammunition and not limited to fmj's. Over all the years, I never "went for" a Glock, until just a year ago. I Got a great package deal, (mostly to help a buddy out) on a 9mm M17, and 45 acp M21.
These are great handguns. They really do live up to most, if not all of the hype.
My only criticism of Glocks is the "Blocky" construction. They're ugly and difficult to conceal when compared to a lot of other choices, especially down here on Florida where we very rarely can be comfortable is even a light jacket.
As to 40 caliber...while I recognize that it's a good round...as I mentioned earlier I'm too old school to start running 40's now.
I'm fully invested in the 9mm and 45acp...tools, bullets, brass, etc. and don't see any advantage adding another caliber.
I've advised people starting out to give it a look, but I'm not going there myself.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Picked up a Gen3 Glock 34...9mm long slide....excellent trigger and sights. Fun as he11 to shoot. Probably swap out the rear sight with a holo or red dot sight just for kicks.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.