What is your 9x19mm carry ammo?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

What is your 9x19mm carry ammo?

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Re: What is your 9x19mm carry ammo?

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I stay away from any designer or gimmick cartridges, like frangibles, or light, super-velocity bullets. It is a good practice to see look at what law enforcement is using commonly in your area - most of those decisions are based on good research, though there can be exceptions.

Remington Golden Sabres are a good choice if you live where it is cold - they perform through heavy clothing. Remington was not using flash suppressed powders the last time I checked, but others make loads with the Golden Sabers using FS powders.

Speer Gold Dots are also good and very consistent, also work well through clothing.

I have lately been carrying Black Hills +p loads. This is a great cartridge and very fast - like 1300 fps out of a lot of full-size pistols with the 115 gr. bullet, a little slower with the 124 gr. So it gets good expansion and penetration both.

I got a bunch of this ammo as factory seconds from Black Hills for range use, and I can tell you that Black Hills is super picky about quality, and she I opened the first box I had to call them to fins out why exactly they had rejected the cartridges. It was because of minor damage to the tips of the bullets in the loading process, so I opened another box, and sure enough, I found two that had some obvious damage, but not that would affect practical performance. I compared the BH seconds to two major manufacturers' HP ammo and the BH rejects had less deformation on the bullets on average than the other brands. On most of the BH cartridges I had to study the bullet to find the damage.

I was pretty impressed - most of their rejects are better than other top brand's factory ammo, so I sorted out the cartridges that have obvious defects and have been carrying this stuff as well as using it for range, video, and demo use.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Ray wrote:Compacts: 147 gr. Hornady XTP......seems like an odd choice but my compacts don't like the slide velocity of the lighter bullets and the perceived recoil is actually less with the heavier bullets.
This is generally a good idea with the smaller pistols and their tight springs and different slide/barrel dynamics.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Speer Gold Dot 147 gr
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I had a bunch of Remington LeadLess 124 gr. I got in bulk, and they've run 100% reliable with my Sig 938, so I'm tempted to stick with them....but...

Not sure if the slide-velocity thing is a problem wear-wise, but they ARE very reliable in function.

Also I don't know their terminal ballistics, so still searching for what to use for CCW.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I like the Federal 9mm BPLE 115 gr. Runs about 1350 feet from my Glock 19. I shot the smallest group from a Glock with it: inch and an eighth at twenty five yards. Case has a cannelure which is nice, flash suppressed powder and even though the bullet isn't bonded, it seems to act like it when fired.

A plus is that TargetSportsUSA prices it very low in fifty round boxes.

Cat
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

124 gr. T.C. Lee cast with 5.5 of Unique. Works super in my same caliber long gun/handgun combo, the Uzi and a Smith 59. Sometimes when I'm feeling wealthy I break into my stash of 147 Black Talons.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sig "Elite Performance/V-Crown" 147gr.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Federal 9BPLE
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My first, and only 9mm has not yet arrived, but I imagine I'll get a couple boxes of some +P+ 124 grain JHPs....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

115gr Hornady Critical Defense.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

124 gr. Hornady XTP with a max charge of Blue Dot. Velocity in my 92 is higher than a lot of 357 Sig data.
NRA Life Member
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Speer Gold Dot +P 124 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point in my S&W M&P9C and Winchester 115 Grain Full Metal Jacket in my extra magazine.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I recently purchased a Ruger LC9s-Pro, 9mm, and haven't determined an "SD" load yet. But it will prolly be a 200 gr. LSWC, sized .452", over a hefty load of Unique in my 1911... :lol: :lol:

So far I have only tested, besides some Hornady 124 JHP, some 125 gr RNFP over Universal in my Ruger. 882 fps and 3 1/2" penetration in magazines/newspapers taped together...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richardx »

147 gr Jacketed Hollow Points Winchester LE Loads in a Browning Hi-Power with the magazine disconnect disconnected and in a box. I have carried a Hi-Power for close to 30 years, the original Wonder Nine.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Back when I carried a 9 most of the time I kept it loaded with 115 grain +p jhp from Corbon. Shot quite a few trapped hogs and finished a few wounded ones and this ammo made me a believer in 9mm.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

I don't know about designer but I've tried the "golds" the critical and even the good old black talons, I think the polycase are better then all of them. I found them for 15.95 a box so I purchased 300 rounds.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Federal HST LE +P, 124-gr and 147-gr
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

124 grain Gold Dot or 147 grain HST.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm partial to the 147 grain loads. I feel the need for penetration. Just a feeling from the old days.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

147 grain FMJ and HP's driven to +P+ velocities . :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

"They" say 125gr JPH in .357 is mo betta that a lot of stuff....My SWAG (scientific, wild azz guess) is that 9mm would be about the same.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

BlaineG wrote:"They" say 125gr JPH in .357 is mo betta that a lot of stuff....My SWAG (scientific, wild azz guess) is that 9mm would be about the same.
But now you settled the 9mm vs. 45 auto argument. If the 9 is close to a .45 and the .357 is more potent than a .45, what difference does it really make? Why did you do that Blaine :?:
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

My friend is trying to get me on the HST bandwagon...
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Ray wrote:
BlaineG wrote:My first, and only 9mm has not yet arrived, but I imagine I'll get a couple boxes of some +P+ 124 grain JHPs....

Now that "they" have decided that the .357 sig was just a short-lived fad and that the .40 recoils too much and destroys the plastic guns and that the .45 is obviously obsolete, the 9mm seems the way to go :roll:

Ray.....melancholically fondling a 1911 .45......"you are no longer needed my old friend.....your old boche enemy has won and taken your place at the advice of tactitards who are educated far beyond their intelligence !"
Haha, thanks for the chuckle this morning.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

sore shoulder wrote:
Ray wrote:
BlaineG wrote:My first, and only 9mm has not yet arrived, but I imagine I'll get a couple boxes of some +P+ 124 grain JHPs....

Now that "they" have decided that the .357 sig was just a short-lived fad and that the .40 recoils too much and destroys the plastic guns and that the .45 is obviously obsolete, the 9mm seems the way to go :roll:

Ray.....melancholically fondling a 1911 .45......"you are no longer needed my old friend.....your old boche enemy has won and taken your place at the advice of tactitards who are educated far beyond their intelligence !"
Haha, thanks for the chuckle this morning.
Ray was channeling Jeff Cooper.... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV