The marlin search continues.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

The marlin search continues.

Post by Panzercat »

Well, we tried it again. Guy was selling that Texan for $500. Talked him down to $470 before seeing it. Then I saw it in person-- Several dents up and down the stock you couldn't see in the pictures, but the action was good. Had one of those brownell $30 peep sights. Asked if he'd be willing to do $460 for the dents. Nope. We parted ways. I'm kinda sad, but it's a 30-30... $500; even 470 is pretty premium for a thudy. It's not like there's a stunning lack of them, even if they Marlins...

Console me. Or tell me I'm a doofus.
It's on the Phoenix backpage if you want to take a crack at it, but I think he's priced himself out of the market.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The marlin search continues.

Post by FWiedner »

Dude, if it didn't scream "Buy Me!", walking away was the right thing to do.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Sounds like a $300 gun to me. I can remember when you could buy a new one for south of $100.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMO, you did the right thing by passing on it - especially since the seller evidently didn't disclose the imperfections until you saw the gun.

If it had been a .35, though.................................. :mrgreen:

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

You did right. There are millions of them out there. You will find a real nice one for less than he is holding out for.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:You did right. There are millions of them out there. You will find a real nice one for less than he is holding out for.

Very true.....any time there's a high production rate on any gun, they can always be found.

If $30 meant the difference between buying or not buying it could not have struck you too much. I was thinking of selling one of my Marlin Sporting Carbines made in the 50's for that much and it has about 5x the collectibility.-------6
Model A Uzi’s
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Sixgun wrote:
Chuck 100 yd wrote:You did right. There are millions of them out there. You will find a real nice one for less than he is holding out for.

Very true.....any time there's a high production rate on any gun, they can always be found.

If $30 meant the difference between buying or not buying it could not have struck you too much. I was thinking of selling one of my Marlin Sporting Carbines made in the 50's for that much and it has about 5x the collectibility.-------6
Is there a .35 rem in that bunch ? A good friend has been wanting one for a few years now. He just points at my dads '51 and says , " yep just like that one" :mrgreen:
Phil
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

They are out there. Dont give up. I put a 'notify me search in GunBroker' and get an email when a certain type of gun goes up for sale. That saves lots of time searching.
When looking for any praticullary rare variation you need to be prepaired to pay a premium unless you get very lucky.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

"You can't pay too much, just too soon." :wink:

About 15 years ago some guy named Jack told me "Guns will never be cheaper than they are right now."

I try to share that "wisdom" with as many people as I can, because it has cost me many untold thousands of dollars, makes me over pay for guns on impulse buys and has put me deep in debt. If I ever get my hands on that S.O.B.... :lol:
(Oh wait, he posted three posts above mine. :D )
Slow is just slow.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Last time I saw a Texan model was over a year ago. It was at Buffalo Sporting Goods in Buffalo, TX. 903-322-4298 Who knows, they might have one in stock. All it will take is a phone call. Good luck!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

You were right to walk away. Texans are common or can easily be "made". While a conversion is not a true Texan, it is easy to amend the PG stock( or replace ) and lower tang. All you need is to procure a 336 or 1895 straight lever. I converted a Glenfield 30A to straight grip by swapping parts. Not a true Texan (forend cap, which I prefer) but a straight grip Marlin in the end. I remember passing on a Texan at a pawn shop in Bryan Texas at $210 about 10 years back.

TomF.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

1894 wrote:
Is there a .35 rem in that bunch ? A good friend has been wanting one for a few years now. He just points at my dads '51 and says , " yep just like that one" n:
Two in 35. ....an early deluxe Ballard and a like new early Ballard rifling standard but......these are not 5......gotta think on those.....---6
Model A Uzi’s
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

FWiedner wrote:Dude, if it didn't scream "Buy Me!", walking away was the right thing to do.

:wink:
+1
Phil
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

cas wrote:"You can't pay too much, just too soon." :wink:

About 15 years ago some guy named Jack told me "Guns will never be cheaper than they are right now."

I try to share that "wisdom" with as many people as I can, because it has cost me many untold thousands of dollars, makes me over pay for guns on impulse buys and has put me deep in debt. If I ever get my hands on that S.O.B.... :lol:
(Oh wait, he posted three posts above mine. :D )
Not following that wisdom has cost me a bunch by waiting too long. :(
Phil
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Cas,
Ha! I remember those comments I made during our camp outs. Sorry for making you broke but.........

You and I never "spent" the money....it's still in those guns and they are worth a hell of a lot more than any 401k plan. :D

I remember back in the seventies good 1886's were bringing $4-600.........glad I thought ahead.------6
Model A Uzi’s
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Buy high, sell low! That's my motto! I don't buy em, I just rent em for a while. :D

My biggest problem is I seem to be interested in things almost no one else is, and I like beat up guns more than nice ones.
Slow is just slow.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Always better to walk away rather than buy something you're not 100% enthused about. But if you didn't like it at $470, I'm surprised you'd consider buying it at $460? $10 less for dents and dings seems a small reduction.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I would have felt I was paying too much at $300 for that gun but would have if I really wanted it, but that would be the cap IMO. You did the right thing. Just keep looking they are out there and prob in better shape than that one.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

I got that 45-70 in the other thread to sooth my marlin urge, so I think i'll be okay
Of course, it cost substantially more than $400, but it's worth it :)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.