Hunting Mulies in Idaho--what pistol caliber?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

Hunting Mulies in Idaho--what pistol caliber?

Post by 1894c »

Hi--haven't posted allot lately, been busy, any way, I live in the Pacific North-West. Usually my buddies and I have been hunting Mulies in Eastern Washington, but this year we decided to hunt Mulies in Idaho (change of scenery). I've been hunting with a .357 Mag and I presently own a Marlin 1894c (vintage JM). I keep my shots within 100+ yards, I use a Williams receiver sight and I've been shooting 170 jacketed or 180-gr hard-cast bullets with copious amounts of H-110 or 2400.

Like most of you, I was wondering if I should increase the size of my projectile to either a .44 Mag or a .45 Colt or simply stick with my .357 mag gear? I've would like a second levergun and have been looking at the new Henry's Big Boy Steel with the 16" barrel (https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/henry-big-boy-steel/) as an option. Or I could try to find a new REM-Marlin 1894 or pay through the nose for a vintage "JM" Marlin? I tried the Rossi M92's for awhile, but didn't like messing with all of the pieces-parts. I'm looking for some input and opinion--I want to thank you in advance for your answers... :)
H012-Large.jpg
PS--my buddy, who lives back-east, just bought a Henry Big Boy Steel in .41 Mag, he says it shoots well, handles well and he doesn't miss the loading gate. I should mention that all he owns and hunts with are .41 Mag S&W N-frame pistols and a vintage Marlin 1894 chambered in .41 Mag.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hunting Mulies in Idaho--what pistol caliber?

Post by tman »

The .357 will definitely work.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

We used a Speer factory load in 357 Mag on large whitetail with great results. It was a 180 grain flat point jacketed bullet.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Get a bigger gun. 44 or 45 would do nicely. :mrgreen:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Mulies are about the same body size as Northern Whitetails, which we've (my annual Maine hunting party) had no problem taking over the last 45+ years , with the .44 Magnum.

My friends & family have plenty of experience with the .44, and no experience with .357 hunting, so I'd recommend a .44 Mag or a handloaded .45 Colt.

With a non-resident hunting licenses costing as much as they do, I'd hate to chance loosing out on an untried (by me/us here) cartridge.

jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

I've shot over fifty white tail deer with the .357mag and found that it works very well even on the largest white tail here in NYS. I need to add though that that is based on always taking a heart/lung shot and not relying on penetration alone for effect. I've shot deer with larger handgun calibers too. I've shot several with the 44mag, 7tcu, 30-30, and a few others in my TC Contenders. If you can put the bullet on target and keep yourself from shooting at bad angles, the 357mag will work very well. If I were hunting truly big bodied deer such as found in Manitoba, etc, I'd opt for a larger caliber like the 44mag and still try for the right angle and distance. You can't go wrong with larger calibers and it's always a "good" reason to get another gun.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Doug Wesson in 1935 took all kinds of biggame in the US and Canada with a 357 pistol 8"+ bbl 158 gr & 173 gr cast SWC pushed with 2400. forget jacketed bullets use a SWC or a LBT hard cast bullet. HCFN bullets in pistols out perform jacketed SP & HPs, Ive seen it first hand. The cavitation bubble that a HC FN or a Jacketed TC bullet makes when it hits flesh and blood does the same damage as a SP bullet but with out losing penetration. I have gotten over 4 foot of penetration on a cougar chest shot exiting his rump with a 357 HCFN 180 buffalo bore round out of a pistol. danny
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

One of those 16.5" big loopers in .357 is in my future, for sure.
I have a JM MicroGroove 1894 44mag that I'd trade for one.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Use a hot 180gr WFN (like Buffalo Bore) and you may as well be shooting a .30-30.

Keep it 100 or less from the Marlin and you've got dead deer.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

BigSky56 wrote:Doug Wesson in 1935 took all kinds of biggame in the US and Canada with a 357 pistol 8"+ bbl 158 gr & 173 gr cast SWC pushed with 2400. forget jacketed bullets use a SWC or a LBT hard cast bullet. HCFN bullets in pistols out perform jacketed SP & HPs, Ive seen it first hand. The cavitation bubble that a HC FN or a Jacketed TC bullet makes when it hits flesh and blood does the same damage as a SP bullet but with out losing penetration. I have gotten over 4 foot of penetration on a cougar chest shot exiting his rump with a 357 HCFN 180 buffalo bore round out of a pistol. danny
+1 , what he said.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Bullard4075 wrote:
BigSky56 wrote:Doug Wesson in 1935 took all kinds of biggame in the US and Canada with a 357 pistol 8"+ bbl 158 gr & 173 gr cast SWC pushed with 2400. forget jacketed bullets use a SWC or a LBT hard cast bullet. HCFN bullets in pistols out perform jacketed SP & HPs, Ive seen it first hand. The cavitation bubble that a HC FN or a Jacketed TC bullet makes when it hits flesh and blood does the same damage as a SP bullet but with out losing penetration. I have gotten over 4 foot of penetration on a cougar chest shot exiting his rump with a 357 HCFN 180 buffalo bore round out of a pistol. danny
+1 , what he said.
+1+
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Old Ironsights wrote:Use a hot 180gr WFN (like Buffalo Bore) and you may as well be shooting a .30-30.

Keep it 100 or less from the Marlin and you've got dead deer.
+1!