Original 73 Winchester firing pin question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Original 73 Winchester firing pin question

Post by Bob Hatfield »

Hello folks

I have a 73 Winchester n 38-40 that I have been working with to develop a decent shooting load. But the firing pin is piercing the primers for some reason. Could it be too long? What about the little do-hicky in the bolt that interacts with the firing pin. Could it be in wrong? I believe it keeps the firing pin from protruding until the bolt is locked. Is that correct? My Uberti 66 has a spring loaded firing pin and doesn't have the little device. I'll look in Numrich to see the correct name for the part. I have had the bolt apart and am not sure its back in there correct.

Bob
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Original 73 Winchester firing pin question

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Have you tried a lower profile primer i.e. pistol primers?
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

Post by guntar »

Does it do the same thing with factory ammunition. If it does I would look at the rifle first. If not I would look at your reloads first. Just a thought.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Have you tried a lower profile primer i.e. pistol primers?
That might just be the ticket.

I'm unfamiliar with the anatomy of a '73, but someone who is will doubtless chime in soon.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

The 38-40 round uses large pistol primers. The firing pin retractor should be fitted with the slope at the bottom running downwards towards the back of the bolt.

Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

The case will also accept large rifle primers which have a slightly higher profile... It would be simple to prime a case and & fire it before the rifle gets disassembled.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Is this a pre smokeless powder gun? The firing pins in smokeless guns (as well as the hole) was of a smaller diameter than blackpowder guns. If this is an older gun that has been fired a lot with black powder and corrosive primers the nose of the firing pin may be eroded and they sometimes form a sharper point that will pierce a primer. Also as the gap between the pin and the bolt face increases the primer may flow back into the gap though this usually starts to show up as harder extraction, at least in falling block rifles.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

In my case, 1892 built in 1897, the black powder firing pin had a lot more protrusion than any of my modern rifles.
I found the old post:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=32746
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein