Snake load

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Snake load

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Please bear with me on this post. I am doing it from my phone during a school event for my daughter (she has already been recognized so I'm not missing anything).

Last year, spring or early summer, I was asked by a neighbor to dispatch a copperhead snake who had decided to curl up under a picnic table. She has small children and small dogs, so leaving the poisonous snake alone was not an option.

I didn't feel like digging our my CCI .22 LR shot loads (nor did I want to use them since they are hard to come by nowadays), so just grabbed my Ruger 22/45 Lite, mounted the suppressor to it, and dispatched the snake.

I then decided I needed to pick up .410, which I did a few months later. However, though much better for dispatching snakes, it is still too loud for use in my neighborhood.

Then a recent post here got me thinking. If a .22 shot she'll was good for snakes up close, a .327 Federal Magnum should be much better, given a bigger case capacity.

I looked on the Web and found a recommendation to use 3 grains of Alliant Unique. I used a CCI 500 small pistol promer, the 3 grains of Unique, a dry felt wad, then filled the case with #9 lead shot. I then poured it out to measure it, and looking and behold, it was exactly 50 grains! I topped the shot off with a thin card wad, and sealed it with a touch of glue.

Well, I wasn't patient enough to wait to try it, so put a blank piece of paper on my indoor target box (in my basement), and crudely drew a quick snake on it. I stepped back about 7 feet and let the shot go. Here are the results:

Barely any report at all! Like a "cat's sneeze" load for shot. This will work great for snakes and won't disturb the neighbors (or cause an unwanted visited from John Law).

Now I need to load up at least a dozen more! :)
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Snake load

Post by TedH »

Looks about perfect! 8)
NRA Life Member
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Dead snake for sure!!
Have used 22- 38 & 45 c all with snake shot with deadly results, my favorite is the S&W 642
stick it in the back pocket & its always ready

Brad
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Jay , looks like you found a good load. I have a bunch of CCI .22 shot and I keep .38spl, .44spl and .45 Colt shot shells loaded up to use. Most of our bad snakes are copperheads and cottonmouths. I know our Ark Game and Fish passed a law protecting all snakes but when it is to close to the house it is no longer protected.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Green snakes are harmless. No need to kill them. They make nice pets.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I shot a 5'-4" rattler a few years back with 2 snake loads at about 6'....just ticked him off....
had to use a semi wadcutter to do the job....sucker was fat!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

I still use a long handled hoe for a walking staff. I glue a threaded insert into the handle end and install a Hilti fastener for steel to give it a grip on rock. Then I sharpen the blade and cover it for safety. I've only had to use it once but it turned that snake into bite size pieces real quick.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
Michaux
Levergunner

Post by Michaux »

If you can find some, 12 shot is the key to dense patterns. I use it in my 44 Mag and 45 Colt in the Speer shot capsules with some Unique and they don't require a second shot!

The Preacher
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Several years ago I stopped at a gun shop in N. Fla and found CCI factory snake shots in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. I have no idea how they work or if they'll function.

I have used .38 and .44 Speer loads to good effect.

If Ruger would come out with a 77/327 I could see myself buying a bunch of .327 handguns to go with it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JerryB wrote:Jay , looks like you found a good load. I have a bunch of CCI .22 shot and I keep .38spl, .44spl and .45 Colt shot shells loaded up to use. Most of our bad snakes are copperheads and cottonmouths. I know our Ark Game and Fish passed a law protecting all snakes but when it is to close to the house it is no longer protected.
Same here. If they are on my land, they are no longer protected!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2571 wrote:Green snakes are harmless. No need to kill them. They make nice pets.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Only pen I had available.

Seriously though, I only kill the poisonous ones. It drives my wife nuts that I actually relocate black snakes to our yard. As I explain to her, they eat copperheads: they are "good snakes"! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ray wrote:You might want to try some finer #11/12 shot in your .32......Another advantage of the finer shot is less property damage if you have to shoot one indoors.....When wearing the white suit of armor and coming to the aid of a poor widows/spinsters/single moms, etc. who have found snakes inside their homes, I would not dream of shooting a snake with a bullet or the heavier #7.5 to #9s of typical factory or homemade shells but I have shot several snakes indoors with the rim fires and they scarcely scratched paint/varnish/ drywall paper etc.....I did have to replace a $5 cold water plastic fill tube under one old lady's bathroom sink vanity after dispatching a rattler but she was happy all the same !....
Michaux wrote:If you can find some, 12 shot is the key to dense patterns. I use it in my 44 Mag and 45 Colt in the Speer shot capsules with some Unique and they don't require a second shot!
I agree. The smallest shot size I had at home was #9. I will need to pick up some smaller and try those. I'll report back here for sure! :D a
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

williamranks wrote:I still use a long handled hoe for a walking staff. I glue a threaded insert into the handle end and install a Hilti fastener for steel to give it a grip on rock. Then I sharpen the blade and cover it for safety. I've only had to use it once but it turned that snake into bite size pieces real quick.
I was tempted to grab my Cold Steel katana... 8)
magyars4
Levergunner 1.0

Post by magyars4 »

williamranks wrote:I still use a long handled hoe for a walking staff. I glue a threaded insert into the handle end and install a Hilti fastener for steel to give it a grip on rock. Then I sharpen the blade and cover it for safety. I've only had to use it once but it turned that snake into bite size pieces real quick.
I sure would like to see a picture or two if possible?
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

For out and about walking I use the old, often written about snake loads in 44spl, uses a couple of gas checks and no-8 shot, sounds like you found a newer load for the 327, it should work wonders
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

My favorite snake load is a .308 cartridge cut back to 41 mm, run through a 45 ACP sizing die, then the first 15mm through a .44 mag sizing die, then a stout load of Red Dot, then an 11mm thin leather disc over the powder, plus 240 grains of # 7 shot. I top the thing with a .44 gas check turned bottom up and crimp it. Some white glue on top and I shoot this using half-moon clips in a S&W .45 ACP M-1950 revolver. Works very well. Another load is a .357 shell, a stout load of Red Dot, a .357 gas check bottom-down over the powder, #7 shot and another gas-check over the shot. I shoot this in a short barreled Ruger Speed Six.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Machado wrote:My favorite snake load is a .308 cartridge cut back to 41 mm, run through a 45 ACP sizing die, then the first 15mm through a .44 mag sizing die, then a stout load of Red Dot, then an 11mm thin leather disc over the powder, plus 240 grains of # 7 shot. I top the thing with a .44 gas check turned bottom up and crimp it. Some white glue on top and I shoot this using half-moon clips in a S&W .45 ACP M-1950 revolver. Works very well. Another load is a .357 shell, a stout load of Red Dot, a .357 gas check bottom-down over the powder, #7 shot and another gas-check over the shot. I shoot this in a short barreled Ruger Speed Six.
That .357 load could be changed up a tad and used in a .38 special brass.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

BlaineG wrote:
Machado wrote:My favorite snake load is a .308 cartridge cut back to 41 mm, run through a 45 ACP sizing die, then the first 15mm through a .44 mag sizing die, then a stout load of Red Dot, then an 11mm thin leather disc over the powder, plus 240 grains of # 7 shot. I top the thing with a .44 gas check turned bottom up and crimp it. Some white glue on top and I shoot this using half-moon clips in a S&W .45 ACP M-1950 revolver. Works very well. Another load is a .357 shell, a stout load of Red Dot, a .357 gas check bottom-down over the powder, #7 shot and another gas-check over the shot. I shoot this in a short barreled Ruger Speed Six.
That .357 load could be changed up a tad and used in a .38 special brass.....
Yes, Blaine. I reduce the powder charge to shoot it in a 2" Model 36 S&W. Results are quite acceptable.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Not very easily found in the US but common in the UK and Europe, the 9mm flobert rimfire would make an excellent venomous snake dispatcher. ( don't ask how I know ).
Jay, that load you worked up looks fine for such jobs too!.... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

One thing I learned when I was living near the Hassayampa river west of Buckeye, AZ.
Unless you're wearing ear plugs when you shoot the first one, you'll never hear the next one.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A good sharp hoe or long handle shovel does a fine job if you can get to the snake. That load with the .327 sounds good to me. PillHer has a .327 and we sometimes have snakes around. I think she will have a snake load very soon, but poisonous snakes are pretty rare where we live. We had a Copperhead in our yard one time, but it didn't do well with a few Crossman wadcutter .177 pellets in it. I checked it after it was dead, and it was indeed a Copperhead, and not one of the snakes which merely looks really similar.

She had a rat snake drop out of our pear tree onto her shoulders one time. By the time she got done screaming and chopping with the hoe, there wasn't much left of the snake. When a snake wants to commit suicide by scared woman, who am I to try to stop it? Yes, she carries a hoe when in the yard a lot of the time so that she can weed the flower beds.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well, the #9 shot worked well, but I loaded one with #4 shot, and it would be about worthless! It darn-near formed a perfect circle around the target!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Jay, that load just may work if you can get him to coil for you!!!!!!!!!!!!
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15