Getting a line up HIGH in a tree...how...???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Getting a line up HIGH in a tree...how...???

Post by AJMD429 »

Would a bow-fishing rig work, or are they just designed to shoot 10-20 feet for actual fishing...?

It seems like it would be so easy to throw a weighted line UP into a tree 50 feet, but it really isn't.

We have lots of standing dead/fragile tuliptree that need a line to stabilize them for cutting, or to haul a bigger line up for pulling them down. Often the lowest branch is 40-50 feet up.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Getting a line up HIGH in a tree...how...???

Post by J Miller »

You could get one of those line shooting shot guns the Navy uses to shoot lines from ship to ship ..... :D

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

We had a rope swing hung pretty high up in a very large tree when I was a kid. One of my dads bow shooting buddies shot a line over the branch, then pulled progressively heavier lines to get the heavy rope up there.

I don't know specifically about average bowfishing rigs, youd have to see how much line they hold or that enough line is on it. I think the guy that shot the line for our swing used a bowfishing rig though.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

There are "sling shot" type devices just for that purpose. Shoots small throw ball with line attached, then you can tie on whatever to it.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

A rope? That takes most of the sport out of tree felling. I'm suprised at you!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I have a line-carrying monkey I rent out at reasonable rates...
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I'm sure you can tie and tape a light line like decoy line ( very light and strong) to any Target tipped arrow. Have one of the in-laws catch it on the other side.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

what dia. are they & how tall? dead trees are notorious widow makers!!! if good sized on the stump
I would use a stubby bottle jack if tree is fairly solid, ive seen to many wrecks pulling trees over
either by hand, skidder or pickup

Brad
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Poplar make good candidates for coppicing.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

These are rickety standing dead trees with everything already fallen-off that is smaller than about four inches. They 'wiggle' in the wind, and instead of the whole tree falling, sometimes just a 10 foot section six inches in diameter breaks off from 50-60 feet up, and there is no time to duck, run, or yell 't-i-i-i-m-b-e-r'.

The ones way back in the woods we just avoid walking near if it is at all windy.

The ones near frequently used paths we have carefully drilled with a hole-saw and packed with Tannerite, then shot down (may just try taping it).

One in between our house and woodshed probably won't hit either from the wind, but could, and could smash a car up where we usually have to park, so I'm hoping to get a line in it, and tether it to a much larger tree and just put a little strain on it so if it breaks low enough to fall very far, it will probably fall towards the tether. We've done that before but this one only has one place to get a line over a branch, and it's too high to throw.

I know what you mean about pulling them down with vehicles - it works really well IF the tree never gets a lean going away from the vehicle, but once a tree leans more than about five degrees, the 'vehicle' better weigh a few dozen tons or it's going to get yanked hard and far unless there is a quick-release available for bailing out. I nearly always pull by hand from a bigger tree down near the base, and use two blocks of four pulleys so I get some leverage. I also make sure that I have a long enough rope that wherever I am is farther than the tree top will go.

I will have to check into the 'slingshot' thing. Anyone know a source for ones set up just for line-slinging...? If not I suppose it shouldn't be too hard to modify a regular 'wrist rocket'...
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

Try a fishing rod with a 1/2oz bell sinker for the starter line.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Get one of your buddies drunk and bet him he can't climb that high.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

J Miller wrote:You could get one of those line shooting shot guns the Navy uses to shoot lines from ship to ship ..... :D

Joe
The Navy used to use 1886 Winchesters for that! :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

KeithNyst wrote:Try a fishing rod with a 1/2oz bell sinker for the starter line.
thats how i do mine. :)
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've put quite a few wire antennas up in trees for my ham radio using a slingshot.

Take a Zebco 33 and mount it to the bottom of a Wrist Rocket. Shoot a 1/2 to 3/4 oz weight up into the tree and use the line to pull a larger line up into the tree.

You can use a bow fishing set up but I find the sling shot more compact.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

williamranks wrote:Get one of your buddies drunk and bet him he can't climb that high.
Now that's the BEST suggestion...!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I already have a spare spin-casting reel, so I ordered a 'wrist rocket', and it must be a good one, because it says "cannot be shipped to New Jersey"... 8)

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

claybob86 wrote:
J Miller wrote:You could get one of those line shooting shot guns the Navy uses to shoot lines from ship to ship ..... :D
Joe
The Navy used to use 1886 Winchesters for that! :mrgreen:
NOT! Generally trapdoors
or topbreak H&R shotguns
ImageBut have used everything pretty much everything up to M-16s with adapters.

Simply tying a heaving knot to the line end will extend the range you can throw a line. A monkey's fist knot can really extend the distance a line can be heaved... Put a lead ball inside the fist...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Well, shiver me timbers! I knew about the trapdoors and some others, but I'd of sworn I read somewhere that 1886s got used some for that too. If I find it again, I'll post it.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I just cut them down with a chainsaw, making sure that the tree falls in the desired direction.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/know-how_h ... a-chainsaw

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete44ru wrote:.
I just cut them down with a chainsaw, making sure that the tree falls in the desired direction.
Step one: Go out and buy a chainsaw. Since they don't make Homelites anymore, get a Husquvarna!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

claybob86 wrote:Well, shiver me timbers! I knew about the trapdoors and some others, but I'd of sworn I read somewhere that 1886s got used some for that too. If I find it again, I'll post it.
Page 324 of Madis' Winchester book shows an 1886 in .45-70 with a 14 1/2" smooth bore barrel. Madis says a few of these were made for the Coast Guard as line guns, then goes on to say that some are marked Coast Guard, some Navy.
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Use a ski lift rescue launcher.
otteray
Alan in Vermont
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Alan in Vermont »

There's a guy at our club who does tree work. He can rig a line like nobody I have ever seen.

I found this on a search for "arborist throw line" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLTEzaIz7NM The first one shown, the "cradle toss" is how he does it. Hi method is to throw the line over whatever he can get as high as possible. Then he pulls the main line up and brings the end down to where he can walk it around the tree a couple times, flipping it over whatever branches he can get it over. Then he ties the end off around the trunk. The other end goes to whatever pulling source is available, we were using a mid-sized farm tractor and had probably 100' of rope between tractor & tree. He made his cuts after I put just a bit of a strain on the line. Once it was cut through enough to wiggle I just pulled it the rest of the way over. We took down several large-ish deal elms in just a few minutes.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:.
Step one: Go out and buy a chainsaw. Since they don't make Homelites anymore, get a Husquvarna!
These trees are like an 80-100 foot tall stack of tall dominoes end-to-end; they don't "fall in the desired direction" - they fragment into pieces that go every which way, even if all there is is one main trunk and few side branches. They break before they start falling.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds as if the hole saw and tannerite is the best solution to me. You can get far enough away that the tree cannot fall on you when the tannerite goes off. Putting it in is the dangerous part, since, as you say, parts break off of those trees at random times.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I use a recurve bow and a cheap wooden arrow. I tie a thin line to it (fishing line has less friction) and use that to pull up a heavier rope if I need it. Got lots of practice after our last 2 ice storms, pulling broken limbs out of the trees.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I remember Jim T having good luck removing widow makers with a 12 gauge, and enjoying the afternoons doing so...
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jazman wrote:I remember Jim T having good luck removing widow makers with a 12 gauge, and enjoying the afternoons doing so...
We had an 80 foot tall black willow in the woods that fell onto two 40 foot sycamores, bending their 12" trunks enough that they were horizontal about 10 feet in the air - - - over our favorite walking trail... :(

No way I was going near that spring-tensioned mess with a chainsaw, so I got some bulk 308 surplus ammo, my 1898 Mauser, and on about the 30th shot (of FMJ no less) into the same part of one of the bent sycamores, it shattered, collapsed, and then the whole mess came crashing down to ground level.

In those days we didn't have cellphone cameras, or even a video cassette recorder, but it would have been fun to film with my current cellphone's "slow-motion" mode...