Got busted carrying concealed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Got busted carrying concealed

Post by TedH »

We were standing in line at a fast food joint last night when a gentleman comes in and gets in line behind us. Wife and I were making small talk, and after a brief pause in our conversation, this fellow says, "so what are you carrying concealed there?" It took me a second to establish his motive, but turned out he was just a fellow CCW, and had noticed the metal clips over my belt of the Crossbreed Supertuck I had under my shirt. He told me he just carries his LCP in a pocket to avoid the visible clips of holsters like mine. I told him the folks that notice my clips and know what they are, aren't the kind of folks I'd generally be worried about. We had a brief conversation about Glocks, and then bid him good night. Made me wonder how many other people we run across are carrying, kind of gave me a good feeling to know there could be another like me that would be on the right side of trouble should something ever happen. I always feel like I'm the only one with a gun when I'm out in public, but that's not always the case. Something to keep in mind.
NRA Life Member
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got busted carrying concealed

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Ray wrote:photo journalist/safari vests......fanny packs......belt clips showing under tucked-in shirts.....purposeful blousing of tucked-in shirt to avoid bulges.......bulges, bulges, bulges where there should be none.......obvious printing while pocket carrying with cowboy/metrosexual fit trousers.......body language/posturing of low self-confident carry and the constant readjustment of clothing......too heavy outer garment for the weather......and on and on

perhaps you should have prevaricated, saying......"not a gun, i'm a diabetic.....insulin pump....."
Good points, Ray. I get a chuckle out of those guys at the gunshow peddling "concealed carry vests" for $95.00 or so, seeing someone wearing something like that is an automatic giveaway. Then you have the guy who is so macho he just has to let you know somehow he's carrying.

I carry a Sig P238 in a Galco pocket holster, fits just right in the pocket of my Wranglers or my Cabelas cargo shorts, all of which are "relaxed fit" to fit my "relaxed figure" :lol: Nearly imperceptible , haven't been "made" yet.
f
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I hardly know anyone who doesn't CCW. . .

Patients occasionally notice, but it seems like about half of them CCW as well.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Maybe it's because I spend most of day in downtown Detroit, but I'd be reluctant to ask a stranger about what kind of firearm they're carrying. Hereabouts, everyone carries but few have the required license.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Umm. I haven't found a concealed carry method I like yet. I'm sure it's just me, but, I don't like he high ride, forward canting side holster. Never managed a decent, quick draw, having to lean way over to my left to get a good grip on the gun. IWB holsters are a bit too big/thick for me, and I have to either buy new pants or find some of mine that are too big. All this said, I wanted a carry vest for a long time until I heard folks start calling them "Shoot Me First" vests. Oh well...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

You forgot Hawaiian shirts. My preferred carry is OWB cross draw. Hawaiian shirts cover nicely. They are made to be worn outside the pants, and are long enough to cover the firearm. Also on the plus side they are easily moved out of the way when you draw.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

IMO, the gentleman intruded on your privacy. Maybe he just wanted to brag about his own EDC. I personally don't trust strangers enough to inquiringly get into their comfort zone/personal space.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I also carry concealed. Do any/many of you who do carry an extra magazine, strip or speed loader ?

There's a spare magazine carrier called a "snag mag" that looks like a pocket carry knife with the clip outside your weak side front pocket. Considering one of these as a way to carry a spare.

I'm still sifting through the holster offerings out there. Looking mostly at OWB, but may consider an IWB in time. I carry a Sig P938 and until I decide on the first of several holsters - I'm using the Sig Kydex holster that comes with the pistol.....not the greatest, but it works.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

BlaineG wrote:IMO, the gentleman intruded on your privacy. Maybe he just wanted to brag about his own EDC.
I thought so too. Even if I noticed someone else carrying, I wouldn't call them out on it in a public setting.

TraderVic wrote: Do any/many of you who do carry an extra magazine, strip or speed loader ?
Depends on what I'm carrying. I carry an extra magazine with my G42, just stick it in a front pants pocket. If I'm carrying the Sig, I have 11 rounds of 45 ACP in the gun. That's pretty comforting by itself.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm convinced that my LCP in a nice carrying sleeve is not detectable in my inside leather vest pocket. Two extra magazines slip into an outside left-hand pocket. 7+6+6 is not too bad to go out with.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Point of order from the Process nazi, if he saw the straps, then you weren't 'concealed'. (grin)

So saying, you pretty much have to have a long shirt and drape over your belt to cover.

I'm an IWB guy, but make sure I get the tall sizing on shirts (I'm a knuckledragger anyway) to make sure I have the extra length for coverage.

I'm seriously contemplating getting a holster from Dragon Leatherworks

https://www.dlwtn.com/custom/fugly-iwb

instead of straps it has flap for your belt to pass through. Most IWB holsters have clips the wrong way or not heavy enough straps so when you draw, the holster follows the weapon.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I like the vest, and own many, but then again I always wore vest before from the time I was a Kid. I usually carry a 1911 of some flavor, IWB holster and open vest. Maybe it's the cowboy hats and boots that helps me get away with it, but I have never been called out, of course some people that know me, just expect me to be carrying, like my brother in law who is into guns too, and will often ask me what I am carrying, or even my preacher who told me to carry every time I come to church. He feels better knowing I am packing.

Now, some of my friends will ask me what I am carrying even if I am not carrying, and it has nothing to do with what I am wearing.

But strangers, never have called me out, anywhere. But I usually don't print, I know how to carry without detection.

Now, you walk in wearing dockers, tennis shoes, and a polo shirt, and vest. Heck yeah, you're made, and you look stupid too.
NRA Life Member, Patron
MingoKid
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MingoKid »

I've only been called out or "busted" once at the office. I was reaching wayyyy over to reach an item and a patient asked if I was "carrying". My reply was yes. You can tell because my pants are on. He laughed, a kindred spirit.
Another time a patient was trying to intimidate by showing me his pocketed Beretta. 32 Tomcat. I promptly lifted my scrub top enough to allow sight of the 9mm Shield in a Bladetech holster to show that I also agree with the second amendment! Dick move, I know, you just needed to be there. No more disparity in our conversation. LOL
I know not what the future holds, but I know who holds the future!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Ray wrote:photo journalist/safari vests......fanny packs......belt clips showing under tucked-in shirts.....purposeful blousing of tucked-in shirt to avoid bulges.......bulges, bulges, bulges where there should be none.......obvious printing while pocket carrying with cowboy/metrosexual fit trousers.......body language/posturing of low self-confident carry and the constant readjustment of clothing......too heavy outer garment for the weather......and on and on

perhaps you should have prevaricated, saying......"not a gun, i'm a diabetic.....insulin pump....."
Two wallets= Gun

Either it's one wallet and one gun, or one wallet and one badge holder which= gun. :wink:
Slow is just slow.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I'm with Blaine, If some random stranger asked me what I was carrying I'd get real cautious, real quick.
Also have to agree with what wecsoger said, if you were called out, you weren't concealed.
Take it as a lesson, find a better way to carry.
We can't carry in Oz so I don't know what I'm talking about, but I've always thought a cross draw pancake in front of the hip would conceal well in all seasons, and also be accessible if you are seated in a vehicle.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Another vote for Hawaiian shirts. Wore 'em constantly in CA working UC. Even worked in TX on the few occasions when I got asked to assist on an operation, never got pegged as a cop. Had a reporter tagged along on an op once... when I arrived from the field with a last second update for the final briefing, she was shocked. Had seen me around town, actually thought I was part of the problem. Long hair, jeans, boots, cowboy hat, and LOUD Hawaiian shirt! Hidden in plain sight. A friend told me I was the personification of Ray Wylie Hubbard's much later lyrics in "Screw you, We're From Texas"!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Griff wrote:Another vote for Hawaiian shirts. Wore 'em constantly in CA working UC. Even worked in TX on the few occasions when I got asked to assist on an operation, never got pegged as a cop. Had a reporter tagged along on an op once... when I arrived from the field with a last second update for the final briefing, she was shocked. Had seen me around town, actually thought I was part of the problem. Long hair, jeans, boots, cowboy hat, and LOUD Hawaiian shirt! Hidden in plain sight. A friend told me I was the personification of Ray Wylie Hubbard's much later lyrics in "Screw you, We're From Texas"!
Old guy, Hawaiian shirt = totally harmless. :mrgreen: In fact I think most folks look right past me. Strangely a Hawaiian shirt, no matter how loud, draws no attention. Maybe the louder the better. Sort of reverse psychology.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Maybe that Hawaiian shirt thing works west of the Mississippi.

Dead giveaway where I live. I locked up at least 2-3 different guys just on hunches they were concealing something. I figured it'd be dope, but it was gun each time.

But, Hawaiian shirts are not common here.
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

TraderVic wrote:I also carry concealed. Do any/many of you who do carry an extra magazine, strip or speed loader ?

There's a spare magazine carrier called a "snag mag" that looks like a pocket carry knife with the clip outside your weak side front pocket. Considering one of these as a way to carry a spare.
This phone case cost me $4 on sale. It works quite well to carry a pair of spare magazines in a back pocket and it prints just like a cell phone case.

ImageImageImage
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

Lastmohecken wrote:I like the vest, and own many, but then again I always wore vest before from the time I was a Kid. I usually carry a 1911 of some flavor, IWB holster and open vest. Maybe it's the cowboy hats and boots that helps me get away with it, but I have never been called out, of course some people that know me, just expect me to be carrying, like my brother in law who is into guns too, and will often ask me what I am carrying, or even my preacher who told me to carry every time I come to church. He feels better knowing I am packing.
I'm from South Dakota and grew up on a ranch in a cowboy hat, blue jeans and boots. Here in NC, it isn't common apparel but there are enough ranchers and horse people around that it also doesn't stand out. Consequently, spring, fall, and most warm days in the winter I'll wear a western vest with boots and a cowboy hat. It conceals the gun quite well and does't look out of place in the total picture. On colder days in the winter I'll switch to a fleece vest that works well with pretty much any style. In the summer when it's hot I just wear an un-tucked tee shirt.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sometimes I do the loose fitting shirt left untucked, but sometimes you just can't be so casual and need nicer attire, that's tucked in. Maybe a cell phone case to cover the exposed belt clips, or at lease one of them.
NRA Life Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

2571 wrote:Maybe that Hawaiian shirt thing works west of the Mississippi.

Dead giveaway where I live. I locked up at least 2-3 different guys just on hunches they were concealing something. I figured it'd be dope, but it was gun each time.

Yeah, I can see where a Hawaiian shirt in Detroit, in February might be a bit 'out-o-place'!!!! But, in tourist type places and weather...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

When I lived in S CA I often wore "Aloha" shirts, but since I moved to Oregon coastal area, there ain't enough sunny, rainless days to consider one... :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Lastmohecken wrote:I like the vest, and own many, but then again I always wore vest before from the time I was a Kid. I usually carry a 1911 of some flavor, IWB holster and open vest. Maybe it's the cowboy hats and boots that helps me get away with it, but I have never been called out, of course some people that know me, just expect me to be carrying, like my brother in law who is into guns too, and will often ask me what I am carrying, or even my preacher who told me to carry every time I come to church. He feels better knowing I am packing.

Now, some of my friends will ask me what I am carrying even if I am not carrying, and it has nothing to do with what I am wearing.

But strangers, never have called me out, anywhere. But I usually don't print, I know how to carry without detection.

Now, you walk in wearing dockers, tennis shoes, and a polo shirt, and vest. Heck yeah, you're made, and you look stupid too.
I've always heard the name Dockers associated with shoes. Then I though you meant khaki cargo shorts, and then I just looked it up to find khakis. Soo, you can't wear
that stuff there?
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Locked up on a hunch?? How does that work?
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Tactical Lever wrote:

Locked up on a hunch?? How does that work?
Prolly like New York's erstwhile Stop/Frisk....(A good subject for another thread)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

mikld wrote:When I lived in S CA I often wore "Aloha" shirts, but since I moved to Oregon coastal area, there ain't enough sunny, rainless days to consider one... :lol:
Didn't they have one back in 2012? :D