Henry All Weather Rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Henry All Weather Rifles

Post by MrMurphy »

I heartily approve, other than Marlin, few have followed this route (sadly).

https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/all- ... er-action/

But they're still front loading, so I still won't be buying one.

HINT HINT HINT....
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Henry All Weather Rifles

Post by Tactical Lever »

Too bad they don't have more information on these. They mention chrome plating, but I wonder if they mean the barrels, also? And would that be inside, too?

Seems like they are short a round or 2 for magazine capacity. The Marlins with a 20" barrel would take 6 in the mag. And the 45-70 with an 18.5" will take 4 in a half
length mag. I think the full length ones are good for 6.

One good thing about loading from the front, is it being easier on the bullets. A person could single load another one pretty quick, if that is the concern. I do not feel too handicapped by my Henry in .44 Magnum, but then it will hold 10. Or 11 if I chamber one first.
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

When the catalog says "hard chrome plating on all metal surfaces (except springs & sights)", you could conceivably take that to include the barrel.
NOT chromed inside the bore, though. :)
Denis
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Pretty cool !
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

DPris wrote:When the catalog says "hard chrome plating on all metal surfaces (except springs & sights)", you could conceivably take that to include the barrel.
NOT chromed inside the bore, though. :)
Denis
Well I did, but what would be the point if the bore wasn't chromed as many military rifles are, as well? Accuracy does suffer somewhat, though, which would make stainless, or perhaps another coating preferable. Even is there is a loss in corrosion resistance.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

The point is to improve the weather resistance of Henry's carbon steel leverguns in those calibers, which it does. :)
Denis
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

MrMurphy wrote:I heartily approve, other than Marlin, few have followed this route (sadly).

HINT HINT HINT....

I am not particularly fond of the synthetic/stainless lever guns. I think it makes them look cheap but I know that there is a market for them and different people have different taste so I totally get why they make them.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Just a black oxide finish inside the bore.
Keep yer muzzle down in the rain.... :)
Denis
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Rube Burrows wrote:
MrMurphy wrote:I heartily approve, other than Marlin, few have followed this route (sadly).

HINT HINT HINT....

I am not particularly fond of the synthetic/stainless lever guns. I think it makes them look cheap but I know that there is a market for them and different people have different taste so I totally get why they make them.

That is coated hardwood furniture, not synthetic.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

44shooter wrote:
Rube Burrows wrote:

HINT HINT HINT....

That is coated hardwood furniture, not synthetic.
Oh. Well I have had those also. I ended up stripping them down for the wood underneath. I know they serve their purpose for sure.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I just don't see why they refuse to put Nelson King's invention on their rifles. It's like some gimmicky association with the original Henry. I'm surprised they even put forearms on the things.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

I argued that briefly when they were putting out the first centerfire model.
Imperato wanted it, it stays. :)

I can be a huge traditionalist in many areas, but once you get past that, it's a helluva lot easier on the loading thumb in longer shooting sessions, and there's really not much overriding need for speed in reloading for most of us, so it has its trade-offs.
Denis
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

DPris wrote:Just a black oxide finish inside the bore.
Keep yer muzzle down in the rain.... :)
Denis
Well they increased the corrosion resistance to the easy to care for parts of the gun. That's a good thing. And only the easier parts of the gun. That's a bad thing.

I realize that nothing is "maintenance free", but the bore is the most important part. It's easy to wipe off the outside, and oil it up, and in the receiver it's easy to have
a good coating of oil. But not in the chamber and bore. Sometimes in thicker bush when it's wet or when it's really coming down, you might as well put it in a creek and
get it over with. Travelling muzzle down sounds good, but not always possible, and just delays the inevitable. When it's cold and you come back to the truck, or into a
warmer place, it does't matter. It will condense the water out of the air everywhere. Maybe better to transport the rifle in the box sometimes, but that bugs me too.

That and a little exterior rust is easier to take care of. On occasion I have put a couple rounds through the gun to wipe moisture out of the bore before going back in the
truck, on wet days.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Life doesn't always give you everything you want. :)
The set-up's still better'n a standard blued rifle in bad weather.

Chroming the bore would've raised costs & made production more complicated.
Along with the potential accuracy effect previously mentioned.

The gun has better protection on its wood AND its steel than most standard non-plated carbon steel leverguns.
If not good enough, don't buy one.
Denis
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

DPris wrote:Life doesn't always give you everything you want. :)
The set-up's still better'n a standard blued rifle in bad weather.

Chroming the bore would've raised costs & made production more complicated.
Along with the potential accuracy effect previously mentioned.

The gun has better protection on its wood AND its steel than most standard non-plated carbon steel leverguns.
If not good enough, don't buy one.
Denis
Sure it does. Well maybe everything isn't perfect, but I can't complain. Too much anyway. :lol:
I've got my Guide Gun is stainless, and it is close to perfect for me. Although I could wish for an octagonal barrel.

Don't get me wrong, Henry makes a fine rifle and I'm sure I will buy more of their products. I am even growing somewhat fond of
those "yeller" receivers. :D I will probably get a case hardened one next though.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I read the item description and took it to believe "everything is hard chrome plated except springs and sights". When you do a wipe down of your gun do you remove the stock and forearm to get to the metal underneath? Do you clean all the innards? Do you routinely clean the harder to reach parts? The bore is one of the easier parts of a gun to clean; run a patch through and then an oily patch (unless you shoot the gun a lot, like a range session) and you're done. For a weatherproof hunting rifle, Henry seems to have thought of most everything...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I agree with DPRIS, "If it ain't good enough, don't buy one" ....
I have several Henrys, had to send a couple back, service is fantastic...
You could do a lot worse.....

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Maybe I missed it DPris but I only read hard chrome everywhere. No where did I see any separate treatment for the bore. Hard chrome works well under nasty conditions.

Cat
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

I am personally arranging for the catalog description to exclude chrome in the bore, just for Cat & Tac. :)
Happy to help.
No thanks necessary.
We live to serve.

The black oxide bore "treatment" isn't listed anywhere, as far as I know.
That may have to remain our secret.
Denis
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

mikld wrote:I read the item description and took it to believe "everything is hard chrome plated except springs and sights". When you do a wipe down of your gun do you remove the stock and forearm to get to the metal underneath? Do you clean all the innards? Do you routinely clean the harder to reach parts? The bore is one of the easier parts of a gun to clean; run a patch through and then an oily patch (unless you shoot the gun a lot, like a range session) and you're done. For a weatherproof hunting rifle, Henry seems to have thought of most everything...
You are right, that is pretty easy. But when I have a clean bore and a couple of fouling shots through it, I don't want to mess up my first or second cold bore shot capability again.

I try to avoid taking everything apart, for the most...er.. part. I consider the outside cosmetics which will not affect function, and easier to polish up and refinish. And not one will notice a rust spot inside the receiver. Again easy to overlook or fix. Just my nit to pick. I think the Henry are a fine rifle.
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

DPris wrote:I am personally arranging for the catalog description to exclude chrome in the bore, just for Cat & Tac. :)
Happy to help.
No thanks necessary.
We live to serve.

The black oxide bore "treatment" isn't listed anywhere, as far as I know.
That may have to remain our secret.
Denis
Ha! I thought you seemed pretty invested. And I reject your offer of receiving no thanks, and thank you doubly for your efforts! Some of us are a little picky, and I always like to see more
detail. And pictures too, please! Hope you don't mind me bending your ear, but are those shiny or matte? And naturally matte from a harder chrome, or bead blasted?

And I was always curious about the Silver Boy guns. Is that a plating or is it a solid nickel alloy of some type? Am I correct in assuming it's the same as the silver Big Boys and and solid? Love the silver option, by the way! And is there any plan for different wood options on your guns. Specifically the all weather ones? Thanks Denis!
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Tac,
First, let me correct your assumption- I am not Henry, I do occasionally work WITH Henry, but not FOR henry, and they're not my guns. :)

The Big Boy Silver centerfire is a solid frame constructed with a slightly tweaked version of the hardened brass alloy used in the regular "gold" Big Boy.
The tweaking leaves the silver color instead of the original brass color.

The rimfire Golden Boy Silver (as it's now called) uses the same construction as the Golden Boy, which is a Zamak 5 internal (or actual) receiver, with a removable outer receiver cover.
The Zamak alloy is the same formulation in both receiver & cover, but the cover is nickel plated for that high-gloss shine.

The hard chrome finish on the All-Weathers is matte, it'd be counterproductive to turn out a highly-polished glare machine for big game hunts.
Far as I know, the wood that's on them is all that's planned, for now.

It's not the usual nice walnut, since the industrial-grade coating would obscure the grain so there's no need to look pretty.
Wood & wood finish were deliberately selected for the AWs for weather resistance, not appearance.
Wood is more amenable than plastic in levergun stocks for most people.
Feels more solid.

Incidentally, if anybody's interested- there just may be a high-volume endurance run on a new Golden Boy in .22LR coming up, if sufficient ammo can be acquired.
Should be interesting if it comes together.
Denis
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Sidegate.

But I assume they're rolling in enough $$$ not to care.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

If they're rollin' in dough, it's only because their guns are selling, despite that tube loading. :)
Denis
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

DPris wrote:Tac,
First, let me correct your assumption- I am not Henry, I do occasionally work WITH Henry, but not FOR henry, and they're not my guns. :)

The Big Boy Silver centerfire is a solid frame constructed with a slightly tweaked version of the hardened brass alloy used in the regular "gold" Big Boy.
The tweaking leaves the silver color instead of the original brass color.

The rimfire Golden Boy Silver (as it's now called) uses the same construction as the Golden Boy, which is a Zamak 5 internal (or actual) receiver, with a removable outer receiver cover.
The Zamak alloy is the same formulation in both receiver & cover, but the cover is nickel plated for that high-gloss shine.

The hard chrome finish on the All-Weathers is matte, it'd be counterproductive to turn out a highly-polished glare machine for big game hunts.
Far as I know, the wood that's on them is all that's planned, for now.

It's not the usual nice walnut, since the industrial-grade coating would obscure the grain so there's no need to look pretty.
Wood & wood finish were deliberately selected for the AWs for weather resistance, not appearance.
Wood is more amenable than plastic in levergun stocks for most people.
Feels more solid.

Incidentally, if anybody's interested- there just may be a high-volume endurance run on a new Golden Boy in .22LR coming up, if sufficient ammo can be acquired.
Should be interesting if it comes together.
Denis
Thanks for that. As for glare on a chrome gun.... well it would be hard to top one of the guns with a brass lite receiver! :lol:
But people still manage to kill with them. I am in the process of thinking about doing something on mine. :lol:

I don't think there is too much advantage to a black paint(?) over varnish, but that's just my opinion. And maybe not too hard to fix if one was inclined.

I agree on the feel.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

The wood finish isn't a traditional "gun" varnish, it's more of an industrial grade wood floor finish.
Should be a shade more durable than what you normally see on gunstocks.
Denis
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

DPris wrote:If they're rollin' in dough, it's only because their guns are selling, despite that tube loading. :)
Denis
Thus the point of the original comment.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

You coulda given an advance "POINT ALERT!"
Sometimes it can be hard to tell. :)
Denis
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

I'm curious, what is the beef with front loading the mag tube?
The Lord Bless You

Terry
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

41 Redhawk wrote:I'm curious, what is the beef with front loading the mag tube?
Many lever gun aficionados are used to the loading gate on the side of the receiver and do not like the idea of loading a lever gun through the front magazine tube as with rim fire magazine tubes. Some tolerate it and buy a Henry anyway and some don't like it and will not buy one until Henry rifles sport a side loading gate.

There's no right or wrong answer here - just differences in preferences and opinions. I myself have handled both Big Boy Steel offerings, a 20" barrel rifle and a 16.5" barrel carbine and in my opinion - very well made and I will own one when I have ample funds. I have two JM Marlins now....a 30/30 CB and a Marlin factory semi custom 45/70.

Like em both, but don't care for Remington owning Marlin whatsoever, but it is what it is.
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

All but one of my leverguns are Marlins. The other one is a Mossberg built store brand 22 that is loaded from the front and of course my 39A is too. I figure if I can load my 22s like that I could load a centerfire that way if needed. Actually, I find it easier and better for my fingers and thumb to front load.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Compared to a loading gate its awkward, inconvenient, slow and requires more space to maneuver in.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

I'm also usually awkward, frequently inconvenient, increasingly slow in recent years, and require more space to maneuver in nowdays.
But, I like to believe there's still a place for me in the modern world.
Keep telling my wife that, anyway....
Denis
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

sore shoulder wrote:
Compared to a loading gate its awkward, inconvenient, slow and requires more space to maneuver in.
And I don't like taking the levergun entirely out of action just to top it off.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

DPris wrote:I'm also usually awkward, frequently inconvenient, increasingly slow in recent years, and require more space to maneuver in nowdays.
But, I like to believe there's still a place for me in the modern world.
Keep telling my wife that, anyway....
Denis
There was nothing personal in my remarks directed toward anyone, nor against Henry. I have nothing negative to say about the overall quality of a Henry. I've already mentioned how well liked my Henry .22 is by myself, family and friends. I was simply giving an honest answer to an honest question concerning why some of us don't like the tube loading. I would never try to talk anyone out of a Henry. I have no argument for or against them.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Sore,
I didn't take it that way.
Just pointing out there's room for varying opinions & preferences. :)
And slow people who need more room to maneuver.

Don't be so sensitive. :)
Denis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

When loading gates come from the factory NOT needing hours of work to make them smooth, and not so dang hard to depress..... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

BlaineG wrote:When loading gates come from the factory NOT needing hours of work to make them smooth, and not so dang hard to depress..... 8)
:P :P :P :P :P

11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

sore shoulder wrote:
BlaineG wrote:When loading gates come from the factory NOT needing hours of work to make them smooth, and not so dang hard to depress..... 8)

Those won't fit in the loading gate, but I know where they WILL fit.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :idea:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

BlaineG wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:

Those won't fit in the loading gate, but I know where they WILL fit.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :idea:
A Henry loading tube? :lol:
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A Henry loading tube? :lol:
That's correct...unless I can catch you in a coma.... :shock: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
MingoKid
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MingoKid »

The "front tube loading" position was also adopted by another rifle company to deal with the stresses of a 454 casull loading. This may be indicative of the stronger design. I do like the side loading gate of traditional rifles, but front loading is a small concession to allow a better design. I know that I can use this because of all the 22 tube fed rifles of my youth and continued aging!
I know not what the future holds, but I know who holds the future!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I don't mind the Henry's front loading feature at all. My 22LR levergun loads like that, and even a changing grizz can only take so many rounds before you kilt it or it kilt you.
What I do object to is their 45/70 available only in a 18" barrel pistol grip butt stock. Make me one with a 22 to 24 inch barrel and a straight grip stock and I'll buy it.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

The brass Henry .45-70 has a 22-inch barrel & straight wrist stock.
Denis
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Gotcher new rifle ordered yet? :)
Denis
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I don't want a Heavier, weaker, shiny brass receiver gun, give me steel. Also that funny shaped large lever looks butt ugly, and so does the short magazine tube. Full length tube would look much nicer and add an extra round.
https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/45-70-lever-action/
Make a 45/70 with lines like their steel framed 30/30 but throw on their 22" 45/70 octagon barrel with full length magazine tube, and that rifle is already sold!
I'd halfway consider their color case hardened model 45/70 if they put the straight lever and butt stock from their 30/30 on it.
https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/colo ... d-edition/
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Then I think you're just gonna have to go elsewhere.
Can't please everybody.
You said you wanted a 22-inch straight wrist, there it is. :)
And I wouldn't worry about the brass strength.
Denis
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Panzercat wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:
And I don't like taking the levergun entirely out of action just to top it off.
If I am in a situation where I have to top my magazine off without risking making the gun briefly out of action, I'm gonna have a Mini-14, AR-15, or M1A...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

I hate to take my Colt Peacemakers & my Ruger single-actions entirely out of action to top 'em off, too.
But, it doesn't hardly stop me from carrying any out in the wilds. :)
Denis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV