Reloading Powder

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Reloading Powder

Post by Rube Burrows »

So far I have only loaded .38spl and .45colt. I had not been able to reload in a couple years due to losing my reloading room to the new baby. After leaving that bedroom I turned my 2nd living room (den) that we didn't use much into my home office and since its rather large I decided to build me a new reloading bench. I just finished up the reloading bench last weekend and got it in the room. Now I want to start reloading again.

I had a pretty good supply of Trail Boss that I was using to load both .38 and .45 for cowboy action matches and I really liked that powder. I cant find it anywhere now though so I am in the market for a new powder that is easy to get that will work equally as good in both and possibly other calibers such as .44mag for starters.

I was looking and while I have not used these it appears that HP-38, Universial Clays and Unique would be good for these.

Looking to hear from others with experience in any of these or if there are any other suggestions I am open to them also.

Thanks.
magyars4
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Reloading Powder

Post by magyars4 »

Unique is my stand by powder for 38 and 45. I also like Red Dot and AA#5.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

magyars4 wrote:Unique is my stand by powder for 38 and 45. I also like Red Dot and AA#5.

Thanks. I will look more into all three.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Finding powder today can be quite a job, but there is some around. I looked in my reloading manual(s) and made a list of powders that suits my needs and took that list with me every time I went anywhere that might sell powder. More and more is showing up here in Southern Oregon and with my list I've been able to pick up a few pounds for my reloading. Being a stiff-necked old geezer, I refuse to pay hazmat (I was involved with hazmat stuff with the L.A. Dept of Water and Power and can see how much of a rip-off the fees are) but there are "Where's the Powder?" threads and sites with up to date powder avilability. http://gunbot.net/reloading/Powder/ http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/ ... tices.html Also check reloading supply vendors (Cabelas, Graf's, Midsouth, Natchez, etc.). You may have to check them daily.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

mikld wrote:Finding powder today can be quite a job, but there is some around. I looked in my reloading manual(s) and made a list of powders that suits my needs and took that list with me every time I went anywhere that might sell powder. More and more is showing up here in Southern Oregon and with my list I've been able to pick up a few pounds for my reloading. Being a stiff-necked old geezer, I refuse to pay hazmat (I was involved with hazmat stuff with the L.A. Dept of Water and Power and can see how much of a rip-off the fees are) but there are "Where's the Powder?" threads and sites with up to date powder avilability. http://gunbot.net/reloading/Powder/ http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/ ... tices.html Also check reloading supply vendors (Cabelas, Graf's, Midsouth, Natchez, etc.). You may have to check them daily.

Yeah, I can't find any locally. Mainly just because no one sells that sort of stuff. I will just order it online from somewhere.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

No reloading bench is complete without a can of Unique.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Take a gander at a burn rate chart, find a similar powder, AND CHECK FOR PUBLISHED LOADS

http://www.gamaliel.com/images/BurnRatesnov10.pdf
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

BlaineG wrote:Take a gander at a burn rate chart, find a similar powder, AND CHECK FOR PUBLISHED LOADS

http://www.gamaliel.com/images/BurnRatesnov10.pdf
Thanks for that link.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Rube, the place I bought my colt lighting had powder, I think it's called jefferson guns or something like that, I'll see if I can find my recipe and get you a #
It wasn't just a boat load, but they did have reloading stuff
It's on Jefferson hwy south of you
I know I went to the traffic circle and went west and it's on the right, in a new light brown metal building
From causeway then j hwy west northwest think that's 61

PLOWBOY
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

As much as I like Unique, and always have some handy, I've used more 231 (HP38) than any other pistol powder. It can be used for light to standard loads in just about any pistol cartridge.
And because of it's type, semi ball powder it meters perfectly.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

What Mr. Miller said.

WW231 is a very versatile pistol powder.

Not suitable for heavy magnum loads, but
great for anything short of that.

-Tom
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

plowboy 45 wrote:Rube, the place I bought my colt lighting had powder, I think it's called jefferson guns or something like that, I'll see if I can find my recipe and get you a #
It wasn't just a boat load, but they did have reloading stuff
It's on Jefferson hwy south of you
I know I went to the traffic circle and went west and it's on the right, in a new light brown metal building
From causeway then j hwy west northwest think that's 61

PLOWBOY
I know the place. I don't go to the south shore much.... Unless I have too but I may have to do just that.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Thanks J Miller and Stretch. Good info.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Brownells was advertising HP-38 just a couple days ago under " just arrived".
It could have been Midway,they both send e-mail advertisements daily.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

When Unique was impossible to find I bought a bunch of 700X & titegroup, I used Unique for over 30 years
I doubt I will ever buy it again, I have more than a few revolvers & the 700X & Titegroup for me shoots better
Trail boss is a fav. in a 45 colt

ollogger
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

W231 (HP38 same powder) has been my go to powder for years.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

ollogger wrote:When Unique was impossible to find I bought a bunch of 700X & titegroup, I used Unique for over 30 years
I doubt I will ever buy it again, I have more than a few revolvers & the 700X & Titegroup for me shoots better
Trail boss is a fav. in a 45 colt

ollogger

Yeah, I love Trail Boss. I am down to three bottles of it though and want to get something so I don't run dry.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I found 8 lbs of 700X at my LGS. I had never used it so I came home and started checking the books. I think I'll have to go back and pick that up.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Lots of good powder out there if you're willing to kick a few sacred cows in the butt.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

While you are looking for Red Dot, look for Promo. Think RD without the red dots, but a little different in density and usually cheaper too
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Thunder50 wrote:While you are looking for Red Dot, look for Promo. Think RD without the red dots, but a little different in density and usually cheaper too

Thanks.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Not too sound cheeky but have you thought of trying 3f? 45colt with BP is a whole lot of fun.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis