MacBook v 45-70...update....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

MacBook v 45-70...update....

Post by AJMD429 »

:evil:

Sorry I bought it (my new MacBook Pro) at this point...

It won't even run some of the built-in Apple programs now that I've had it three months (and always balks at any non-Apple ones), because it has decided not to allow updates any more, and some of the programs (like iPhoto) won't run if an update is needed (at least that's what the error box says). So I go to do an update at the AppleStore, and it asks for my AppleID, which I didn't even know I had. After a few days of fiddling with it, I determine I have a couple AppleID's, due to buying 'apps' for my Android over the years. So I start trying them to see which one the Mac will work with, and it turns out none of them. The AppleStore tells me that my computer was purchased using another ID, and can only be updated by the original owner.

It took a lot of self-control not to take it out back and just shoot it. I know, an 'expensive target', but at this point I'm probably going to wind up having to buy a new computer anyway, because I've tried their 'User Forum' and their 'Email Help' and got put on hold a few times over an hour, only to be told a 75 mile trip to an 'Apple Store' might work. Taking a day off work to do that isn't an option.

The fun part is my photos are all locked up and inaccessible due to their proprietary format for iPhoto. I would have just copied them onto the machine as JPG's, but of course being an Apple product, there is no fast/easy interface to use it with an Android.

If I stick with a 'Mac' I should probably wait to shoot the one I have now until after I try to transfer some of my files off a backup, but that is also in a proprietary format so I have no idea if it will work. If I go back to a 'PC' then it means starting over, but at least MS-DOS machines aren't hostile to communicating with my phone, and don't require layer upon layer of user-unfriendly stuff just to update your software.

By the end of the month, I need to make the decision as to whether to use my 45-70, or a 12 gauge. . .

Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Coming soon....MacBook Pro meets 45-70...

Post by J Miller »

Use a .22, make it suffer ..... :twisted:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
Take some videos if you can... I'm sure it would make us all smile....

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Better... use the built-in "web cam" to have it record/stream its own demise by firing squad...

Mmmmm Applesauce....
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You will have to logout, and log back in as a different user.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'd see if I could stream the event live to Apple Support, from the MacBook's view.

They really need that kind of customer feedback.

"Can you hear me now?"

:lol: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

AJMD429 wrote::evil:

Sorry I bought it (my new MacBook Pro) at this point...

It won't even run some of the built-in Apple programs now that I've had it three months (and always balks at any non-Apple ones), because it has decided not to allow updates any more, and some of the programs (like iPhoto) won't run if an update is needed (at least that's what the error box says). So I go to do an update at the AppleStore, and it asks for my AppleID, which I didn't even know I had. After a few days of fiddling with it, I determine I have a couple AppleID's, due to buying 'apps' for my Android over the years. So I start trying them to see which one the Mac will work with, and it turns out none of them. The AppleStore tells me that my computer was purchased using another ID, and can only be updated by the original owner.

It took a lot of self-control not to take it out back and just shoot it. I know, an 'expensive target', but at this point I'm probably going to wind up having to buy a new computer anyway, because I've tried their 'User Forum' and their 'Email Help' and got put on hold a few times over an hour, only to be told a 75 mile trip to an 'Apple Store' might work. Taking a day off work to do that isn't an option.

The fun part is my photos are all locked up and inaccessible due to their proprietary format for iPhoto. I would have just copied them onto the machine as JPG's, but of course being an Apple product, there is no fast/easy interface to use it with an Android.

If I stick with a 'Mac' I should probably wait to shoot the one I have now until after I try to transfer some of my files off a backup, but that is also in a proprietary format so I have no idea if it will work. If I go back to a 'PC' then it means starting over, but at least MS-DOS machines aren't hostile to communicating with my phone, and don't require layer upon layer of user-unfriendly stuff just to update your software.

By the end of the month, I need to make the decision as to whether to use my 45-70, or a 12 gauge. . .

I vote for 12 ga - my personal preference is # 4 buck from about 20 yds - gives really good coverage at that range! Doesn't miss very many spots - total obliteration! :twisted:
Merle from PA
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Spoilsport....!!

I may have already tried those (I've tried a bunch) but I'll probably check them out before actually pulling the trigger...even though it would be lots more fun and way less work to do the other...
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

J Miller wrote:Use a .22, make it suffer ..... :twisted:

Joe
+1

... and make it suffer a lot!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
J Miller wrote:Use a .22, make it suffer ..... :twisted:
Joe
+1
... and make it suffer a lot!
Yep, see just how many times it'll get shot before it gives up the ghost!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

You need either a Thompson or a grease gun for this job :mrgreen:

My work issued one is too big to fit in my usual briefcase, and they made a big fuss about helping me get the site software running on my personal linux laptop - so now when I need to take the mac on a trip it gets carried around, thrown in the trunk, stuffed in luggage. Got a couple nice big scratches on that perfectly almost matte aluminum top :twisted:

One of the other guys here has his mac dual boot with OSX and Windows 7..... might be worth considering for you, they do make nice quality hardware, and you can run other OS's on it.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

But, but, but, Apples are so user friendly :P At least that what people tell me, and they never get virus'. Or so they say. Me, I'm just an old DOS dinosaur forced to use Windows. But I even managed to beat Vista into submission. :mrgreen:

Sorry for your problems. Maybe you should give a Windows tablet/notebook a try. Just saying.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

AJMD429 wrote:
Spoilsport....!!

I may have already tried those (I've tried a bunch) but I'll probably check them out before actually pulling the trigger...even though it would be lots more fun and way less work to do the other...
Shouldn't be too hard. The Apple ID is, in most cases, a non-icloud email and one of those should get you the password.
Somebody told me computers exist to be our servant. I let him live.
Bill Ranks
Robert A. Heinlein
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

I just found where mine is hiding.
In Safari preferences, passwords, "secure1.store.apple.com". Check mark show passwords for selected websites, enter your password for the computer and select that line, the password will show up.
I also found it in the same place under www.icloud.com.
When I went to iTunes preferences the ID showed up at the "store" tab, but not the password.
It might also live in your keychain.
http://www.cultofmac.com/255426/find-fo ... os-x-tips/
Bill Ranks
Robert A. Heinlein
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

So I go to do an update at the AppleStore, and it asks for my AppleID, which I didn't even know I had.
It's been over 4 years since I bought this Air, but as I recall, you couldn't create any log-in to your Mac without first creating an Apple ID. At that time, updates didn't come through the store, and when they were available, they often wouldn't install correctly. With the current OS/X, the updates seem to work as well as on Windows--if you've used your ID to log-in to the Apple Store.

Sadly, Microsoft has picked up on this BS and makes you create a Windows Store log in to get a Win10 machine to go. I couldn't see a way around that when I installed the update from the bizarre Win8 on my son's PC.

Apple does some things extremely well and others extremely poorly. On the whole: I'm shopping for a Windows machine again. There's some software I want to use that's only available for Windows. There's also some software I want to write, and the development tools and editors for the Apple just aren't as nice.

Hardware is one thing Apple does well. This Air is still a better piece of hardware than 99% of the Windows laptops I've looked at. The trackpad is fantastic, and so is the screen. Nearly 5 years later, and the Windows world hasn't quite caught up to Apple's 2011 product.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

One other thought. If you bought it online and didn't have a Mac, did you order it via a Microsoft machine? Could there be a record of your Apple ID in that machine?
As far as the rest of the problems it could be you're trying to overcomplicate things. I did that on my first one back in '01. It could be some of your programs weren't written for Mac or it could be you got a bad Macbook.
I've never tried it, but the Mac will run Windows and OS X both in the same machine and, I believe, there's a free interface program that lets them talk to each other.
I do know docs in Keynote, Pages and Numbers can be saved in a format Microsoft Office can read. I've made discs of my picture albums and sent them to people who view them on MS machines with no problems, I've also emailed them. I burnt some pics to disc and moved them to the pic file in the MS machine I use for work.
Bill Ranks
Robert A. Heinlein
Lever-Lover
Levergunner

Post by Lever-Lover »

You realize, of course, if you sold you macbook to someone, well...like me, you could recoup your money and buy another levergun with it, right?
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Your Apple ID is the same sign in you use for iTunes. It is your email with a password. Use the "forgot password" feature to have a new one sent to the email. If you have several emails and cant recall which one, try them all.

I'm also confused how you used an Apple ID to get an app for an Android phone. Are you using an iOS emulator? Cider?
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

williamranks wrote: I've never tried it, but the Mac will run Windows and OS X both in the same machine and, I believe, there's a free interface program that lets them talk to each other.
VMware
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Instead of a .45-70 how about an extra large container of Tanerite placed deep within?

I forget the exact words but it's something like: There is no problem know to man that cannot be solved
with large amounts of high explosive.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

If I was closer, I'd help you fix it. Sometimes there can be some weird security stiff, depending what the last guy did, too.

How old is it?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Rusty wrote:Instead of a .45-70 how about an extra large container of Tanerite placed deep within?

I forget the exact words but it's something like: There is no problem know to man that cannot be solved
with large amounts of high explosive.
My thoughts, exactly. :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lever-Lover wrote:You realize, of course, if you sold you macbook to someone, well...like me, you could recoup your money and buy another levergun with it, right?
ANOTHER Spoilsport. . . :shock: :lol:

Well, thanks to all who offered help, (I guess. . . :wink: :oops: . . . I sure was excited about using my 45-70 for something other than targets [can't hunt deer with them where I live]), but after a few phone calls to Apple and after the suggestions from here, I figured out:

We found the AppleID, but it was the same thing used for my Android phone (Google Play Store, not iTunes), and one of my kid's computers, so her machine's hardware ID was hooked to it somehow but not mine. I'd never used iTunes but once, and somehow it thought I was on my daughter's computer.
The Apple people got it fixed we think.

Too many darned email accounts, passwords, websites, and so on... :roll:

williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Good for you, you found it. Another crisis averted.
Bill Ranks
Robert A. Heinlein
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Is all hope of real fun gone from the world?

I really wanted Apple tech support to be on the viewing end of watching their product die.

Instead, the intrepid Doctor chooses to repair his wayward device and then allow the foul thing to LIVE.

*Sigh*

That Jedi mind-trick thing never works anymore since they put it in the movie.

:(

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

FWiedner wrote:Is all hope of real fun gone from the world?

I really wanted Apple tech support to be on the viewing end of watching their product die.

Instead, the intrepid Doctor chooses to repair his wayward device and then allow the foul thing to LIVE.

*Sigh*

That Jedi mind-trick thing never works anymore since they put it in the movie.

:(

:lol:
I sigh with thee...

My Jedi Mind Trick involves waving a 1911...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I vote for .223 with a 2lb. dose of Tannerite.maybe a quart of gas on the side.don't just get mad,get
Even!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: MacBook v 45-70...update....

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's the Apple Store I went to after an hour and a half on-line session led the Apple tech to believe I had a WiFi card problem and she told me to have the "local" (2 hr drive) store mail the computer back to Apple (evidently you can't just send it back yourself :roll: ).

So I get there and am told I have to come back three hours later for an appointment, just to tell them what I was already told to do...

Now I find out a non-Apple entity called The Mac Experience is where to go for good service, so will try there next....

williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Bill Ranks
Robert A. Heinlein
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

williamranks wrote:Lewis Black and Apple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZh51bDuCmE
:lol: :lol: :lol: Man, he's a funny dude.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV