"The Revenant" Movie

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

"The Revenant" Movie

Post by octagon »

Went to town to see this with the Wife. Top shelf movie, very realistic, lots of flinters and violence. If your gal is squeamish, might want to leave her at home, lot of foul language too. I think most folks here would enjoy it, best movie I've seen in a long time :D ****
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: "The Revenant" Movie

Post by RIHMFIRE »

decrapio is in it....so I wont watch it
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

RIHMFIRE wrote:decrapio is in it....so I wont watch it
I didn't care for Decaprio , but I think he is becoming one of those actors that is better when they are older. I liked the Aviator .I enjoyed Sean Connery better in his older roles. The same with Robert Downey Jr , who I though was a punk, but I enjoy in Sherlock Holmes and Ironman.

I plan on seeing Revenant this weekend.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I plan on seeing it, because I really like that it's based on the real (mis ?) adventures of abandoned fur-trapper, Hugh Glass.

Fairshake
Levergunner

Post by Fairshake »

Actors are the same as every other person who walks on this terra firma, we all have ideas, outlooks on life and how we approach those persons who are different.
I did not care for a lot of the ones named by others here but like others, I came to enjoy them later in my life and theirs.
I have different views on several things now, at age 68 than that of the 18 y.o. who signed up after high school to join the Army and serve my country as my forefathers had done. If the military enlisted men after the age of 35, we would be in trouble trying to maintain a protective force. Hell, we are having problems with putting our present troops through many tours of duty as it is now.
What I'm saying is that all things evolve, some for the better, some for the not so good. Later Fairshake
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

90% of "actors" are going to be LibTards, because:
  • 1) they by definition live in a fantasy-world, and
    2) the famous ones have tons of money and lose touch with the real-world
    3) the media treats them as if they are anointed with extra wisdom due to their fame, so they start believing it's true
None of those things mean their movies or music aren't enjoyable.

However, if I know one to be particularly anti-gun, I will make an extra effort to avoid seeing their stuff in a way that might profit them much. I won't "pirate" a DVD, but I'll wait and see something on a borrowed Netflix...and I will go out of the way to actually buy the DVD or go to a theater to support a pro-gun actor's work. :)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I can (usually) separate The Acting from The Idiot. It's hard sometimes. The last 20 years of Pop/(so called) Country/Rock/RapCrap are absolutely atrocious. DiCaprio doesn't bother me that much. He's getting better with age. I really enjoyed him in Titanic, and The Aviator.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

[quote="Pete44ru"].

I plan on seeing it, because I really like that it's based on the real (mis ?) adventures of abandoned fur-trapper, Hugh Glass.

Hope no one is looking for a 2.5 hour history lesson as this sure isn't it. Actually I was surprised that they at least got the main characters right (Glass, Fitzgearld, Bridger, and Henry). Yup, happened on the Ashley-Henry expedition. Yup, Glass got chewed on by a bear (and a lot worse than depicted in the movie). Yup, Fitzgearld and Bridger left him. From there history took a back seat to Hollywierd. If you want to read the book, do it after you see the movie as this is another case of real history ruining the movie as it varied so much from it.

After all that it is still worth seeing. Decaprio earned his pay for all the cold scenes he did. The actor (British) that played Fitzgearld did and excellent job and I heard he was up for a best supporting actor, and deserves it. Very pretty scenery. I waited after the movie until the cleaning lady ran me out just to see the credits. It said it was filmed in Montana, California, and Argentina ??????
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

At least DiCaprio drives a car that is in keeping with his espoused viewpoint. I can respect someone who lives as he says that others should. I may disagree with his viewpoints, but I can respect him for the way he is not a hypocrite.

I am not sure I will watch it in a theater, but I will probably see it when it comes on TV.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I haven't seen "The Revenant" yet but of all the movies of his since he got some age on him by far "Blood Diamond" really shows off his skills playing a cynical former Merc turned diamond smuggler... Good story & Jennifer Connely is easy on the eyes too..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

octagon wrote:Went to town to see this with the Wife. Top shelf movie, very realistic, lots of flinters and violence. If your gal is squeamish, might want to leave her at home, lot of foul language too. I think most folks here would enjoy it, best movie I've seen in a long time :D ****
"Realistic"? Never saw but one time they reloaded a long gun, and he never did reload that pistol. And the fall off the cliff on horse back? Pure Hollywood.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I seen it last week, the bear mauling seen was the best part of the whole show, and I liked the wolves seen. But the end was not in keeping with history according to the accounts I have read. I go ahead and go to the show most of the time if really want to see something because I enjoy it, and try to leave politics out of it, if I can, but here is a few people I won't hardly watch anymore. But you need to see that bear seen on the big screen.
NRA Life Member, Patron
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've read the book, but I'd pay a buck to see Leonardo DiCaprio ripped apart by a bear.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Lastmohecken wrote:I seen it last week, the bear mauling seen was the best part of the whole show, and I liked the wolves seen. But the end was not in keeping with history according to the accounts I have read. I go ahead and go to the show most of the time if really want to see something because I enjoy it, and try to leave politics out of it, if I can, but here is a few people I won't hardly watch anymore. But you need to see that bear seen on the big screen.
Yup, best "digital" bear I've ever seen :mrgreen: Seriously, they have gotten pretty darn good at digital stuff. Pretty soon they won't need actors at all. Now that WOULD be funny.

FYI, "history" is pretty slim on the events, especially Bridger's ties to the event. So far it is been one author quoting a previous author that eventually leads back to a nefarious hack (Flagg) that was hired as the editor of the fourth and smallest news paper in a Midwest town. Shady journalism was even shadier back then when if your papers didn't sell, your kids didn't eat. But even he didn't say it was Bridger that was one that left Glass. The second person is named as BridgeS not BridgeR. No mountain man of note (i.e., literate) that left an account AND WAS THERE names Bridger as the second person. Even Chittenden is skeptical when interviewing Labarge (more than 70 years after the event) for his 1902 book on the fur trade and later bio of LaBarge. So what we may know as history may be repeated guff of those out to sell a story. Sure tough to sort it out at this late of date.

Leave to say that the ending doesn't jive with what we think of as history but it is what most would have wanted to happen.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I'm ambivalent...

Went to see it at the geezer matinee today. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it.
I was cold all the way through it, for sure :lol:
The CGI was distracting to me and the lack or reloading bothered me. I know directors like to speed up the action, but c'mon!
In one scene, DeCaprio's pan lid is open the whole time...his powder never fell out, nor did it get wet.

I've seen the scenery before in person and prefer it in summer for sure.

It's definitely worth seeing, but I doubt I'll watch it again. (I couldn't get Weasley out of my head for Captain Henry) :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I was cold all the way through it, for sure :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I thought it was just me. I was freezing when I left and I am normally a cold blooded guy.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Leverluver wrote:I was cold all the way through it, for sure :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I thought it was just me. I was freezing when I left and I am normally a cold blooded guy.
Same here. I told the wife she better be glad I snuck off to see it without her :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Grandpa Ron
Levergunner

Post by Grandpa Ron »

As a reenactor I could be knit picky a bout a few things but who cares. As a history buff I could comment on the artistic license with the historic record, but again who cares. If they had made the movie about about a hypothetical mountain man named Sam Jones, it would not have been an issue.

The movie was entertaining albeit a bit violent and foul mouthed.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Interesting read on the story...

http://hughglass.org/jim-bridger/
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Interesting and understandable.
I'm sure many of us keep our shooting and gun views low key in our day to day corporate lives.

"Joe Mantegna is blasting a chink in the politically
correct armor of some Hollywood heavyweights - he says they love
to own and shoot guns.
The "Joan of Arcadia" star says that such left-leaning showbiz types
as Steven Spielberg, Leonardo DiCaprio and playwright David Mamet
are all avid shooters.
"Lots of guys in Hollywood love to shoot, " Mantegna, a longtime gun
sportsman, tells Fade In magazine. "But they ain't gonna talk to you."
"Apocalypse Now" screenwriter John Milius agrees. "It's fascinating
that Hollywood is so hypocritical," he says. "Many people own [guns],
but consistently vote against them and never talk about them. I used to
shoot with Spielberg and [Robert] Zemeckis and Robert Stack. But no
one else would admit they had any."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Steven Seagal is pretty liberal guy, but I've seen pics of his huge cattle ranch, and log cabin, complete with stuffed bears, and other critters, and a rack full of guns.

The main issue is that these guys might love their guns, but not for the little, ignorant guy. :roll: :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Aussie Chris wrote:http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=64924

I thought it was really well done.
Even if some of the food eaten was rather undercooked. :lol:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

To me, as far as historical accuracy goes, if it's done by Hollywierd, it falls into the realm of historical fantasy. While I haven't seen it yet, if it is akin to "Jeremiah Johnson" of Hollywood and the "Liver-eatin' Johnson" of history, it'll be entertaining, what Hollywood is all about. Their foopahs on arms and correct depiction of same sometimes add to that, (for me) and sometimes detract, depending on just how noticeable it is. One of favorite mountain man movies is Brain Keith & Charlton Heston in "the Mountain Men"... certainly not historically correct, but entertaining. Good Hollywood fare. 8)

While some audiences become more discerning, the vast majority remain as ignorant as I was when I first saw the "Mountain Men" in 1980. Shortly after I bought my 1st muzzleloader... (ok, maybe more ignorant than I was as they've never seen a muzzleloader)! :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grandpa Ron
Levergunner

Post by Grandpa Ron »

From my experience Hollywood will never make a movie for history buffs. For one thing it would be boring or as a friend of mine once commented, with two history buffs you have three different opinions with three you have nine and with four history buffs the number of opinions is infinite. A bit of a stretch perhaps but I have been involved in some rather deep discussions of some rather mundane topics.

Movies are made for entertainment, I really don't care if the Titanic sunk bow or stern first or if a raptor pack could or could not kill a Tyrannosaurus, it is the story line that's counts.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Grandpa Ron wrote:. . . it is the story line that's counts.
Then you would probably be disappointed in this movie.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Intense. There were a couple of scenes where the frizen was open when it should have been closed.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I enjoyed the movie all the way through, even though I knew from a midway they had started making their own story up.

Listen how often do they make a movie that it so squarely in my kind of interests, I am not going to pick holes in it. How many mountain man/flintlock adventure movies do they make...DeCaprio is a fine actor now that he is old enough to look the part, and if the worst you could say was they free associated a storyline and had Leonardo's frizzen open in a shot when it should have been closed...then they made a winner.

But the guy who played the bad guy who I hardly didn't recognise at first - Tom Hardy - stole the whole movie. He is turning into an actor to watch.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Saw that about the frizen open. One part I hated was towards the end where the BG was supposed to shoot "hugh glass" and was aiming the rifle probably 60 degrees to the right of his target, with the muzzle almost on the target so make it "seem" like he was aiming correctly.

Otherwise, I enjoyed it
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Leverluver wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:.

Hope no one is looking for a 2.5 hour history lesson as this sure isn't it. Actually I was surprised that they at least got the main characters right (Glass, Fitzgearld, Bridger, and Henry). Yup, happened on the Ashley-Henry expedition. Yup, Glass got chewed on by a bear (and a lot worse than depicted in the movie). Yup, Fitzgearld and Bridger left him. From there history took a back seat to Hollywierd. If you want to read the book, do it after you see the movie as this is another case of real history ruining the movie as it varied so much from it.

After all that it is still worth seeing. Decaprio earned his pay for all the cold scenes he did. The actor (British) that played Fitzgearld did and excellent job and I heard he was up for a best supporting actor, and deserves it. Very pretty scenery. I waited after the movie until the cleaning lady ran me out just to see the credits. It said it was filmed in Montana, California, and Argentina ??????
They filmed it (or at least some of it) in Alberta. I think somewhere around Calgary. He earned the ire of quite a few up here due to his ignorance of Chinooks and "global warming" which he claims to have witnessed first hand here. Talks about how we should all walk or turn our furnaces off or some stuff, stop extracting oil, and then rents a 2 or 300 foot yacht to party on or go watch a game. He didn't exactly ride his pedal bike down here either. What a hypocrite.

Will not be going out of my way to watch it for a couple reasons. One of which is him being a big fat hypocrite! Another is the historical inaccuracy. I can put up with some liberties for drama sake, but why completely stray from a good story to start with? No one killed his son in front of him, so why add it? Also I cannot put up with pseudo-survival stuff like The Grey was. I can't comment too much on The Revenant specifically, but it does not sound like they did it very accurately. Sounds like they kept him wet the whole movie. Hugh Glass no doubt was tougher than boiled owl s--t, but he didn't survive by hiding out in a carcass or by staying wet for 2 months.
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

RIHMFIRE wrote:decrapio is in it....so I wont watch it

My wife wanted to go see it last week but we slept through the start time so we didn't go. I didn't want to see it any way. When I think of DiCaprio I just want to toss my cookies.

Maybe I can keep putting it off till it's on Netflix and she can watch it by herself.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Finally got to see it and was not disappointed. I really enjoyed the movie. I have long thought of Leo as one of the best actors of this generation. I don't like all his movies but the guy is very versatile and really can act.

I applaud him very much for making such a movie. I feel that Hollywood and most actors in general are lazy. Most would never take on such a demanding role and put themselves in such demanding physical and mental positions.

I seen the other day where Matt Damon was kind of poking and making fun of him joking that his movie The Martian was the way to go. 70 days to film and way under budget and home by supper time every night as opposed to The Revanant which took over a year and was very demanding on the whole crew along with being over budget. I think Matt Damon's comments sum up a lot of Hollywood now. They want to be lazy and do movies that are easy and get paid.

I won't get all upset about what another Hollyweird person does in his personal time or the way he feels. If that was the case there would be very little to watch since most are leftist wack jobs anyways.

I refuse to be one of the habitually offended.
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Rube Burrows wrote:Finally got to see it and was not disappointed. I really enjoyed the movie. I have long thought of Leo as one of the best actors of this generation. I don't like all his movies but the guy is very versatile and really can act.

I applaud him very much for making such a movie. I feel that Hollywood and most actors in general are lazy. Most would never take on such a demanding role and put themselves in such demanding physical and mental positions.

I seen the other day where Matt Damon was kind of poking and making fun of him joking that his movie The Martian was the way to go. 70 days to film and way under budget and home by supper time every night as opposed to The Revanant which took over a year and was very demanding on the whole crew along with being over budget. I think Matt Damon's comments sum up a lot of Hollywood now. They want to be lazy and do movies that are easy and get paid.

I won't get all upset about what another Hollyweird person does in his personal time or the way he feels. If that was the case there would be very little to watch since most are leftist wack jobs anyways.

Yeah his acting has gotten pretty decent. I'm not sure that all of them are lazy. Some are pretty committed when the make big body changes for a movie. Heck I might even get along with Leo, even if he is a whacko... But I don't want to reward him, or them for it with bigger box office numbers either. I will probably enjoy it when it comes on TV. And then mock the inaccuracies! And wonder how his big yacht is so green when our oil is so dirty.

Same deal with stupid Seth Rogan and Michael Moore. They are an embarrassment, and you guys can just go ahead and keep Seth. I'll even throw in a Bieber, just 'cause I'm a nice fella! :lol:
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Tactical Lever wrote:
Rube Burrows wrote:Finally got to see it and was not disappointed. I really enjoyed the movie. I have long thought of Leo as one of the best actors of this generation. I don't like all his movies but the guy is very versatile and really can act.

Yeah his acting has gotten pretty decent. I'm not sure that all of them are lazy. Some are pretty committed when the make big body changes for a movie. Heck I might even get along with Leo, even if he is a whacko... But I don't want to reward him, or them for it with bigger box office numbers either. I will probably enjoy it when it comes on TV. And then mock the inaccuracies! And wonder how his big yacht is so green when our oil is so dirty.

Same deal with stupid Seth Rogan and Michael Moore. They are an embarrassment, and you guys can just go ahead and keep Seth. I'll even throw in a Bieber, just 'cause I'm a nice fella! :lol:

Well Seth Rogan and Michael Moore do nothing good. Their movies suck, Their views suck, they suck.