Vintage 1930's Picture 'What Is This Rifle?'

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Vintage 1930's Picture 'What Is This Rifle?'

Post by cshold »

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Vintage 1930's Picture 'What Is This Rifle?'

Post by mikld »

Nope, can't identify the gun (double rifle?) but that scope looks to be more"modern" than '30s technology.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I agree about the scope looking more 1960's vintage.
Interesting Mount as well.
Sure doesn't look like much holding it onto the Rifle.
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

Looks like a double rifle (Merkle type profile action) and a scope mounted with claw mounts.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Maybe a side by side rifle or rifle shotgun combo. It's definitly a high grade shooter for sure.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I think InTheWoods has the correct answer. Looks like the old claw mounts that were often on double rifles. There were some pretty good scopes from the thirties made across the pond.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

The rifle fits the timeline of the picture, but the scope does not....not even close. Could the scope have been "paint shopped" onto the pic ??
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

TraderVic wrote:The rifle fits the timeline of the picture, but the scope does not....not even close. Could the scope have been "paint shopped" onto the pic ??

I just took a quick flip through "Old Gunsights and Rifle Scopes" for a couple of minutes and found several scopes that resemble the one in the photo, all made before WWII, most in the early '30s, almost all European. The rifle and the hunter's dress suggest European as well.

I can recommend this book to anyone who is interested in firearms, certainly worth the money , a treasury of obscure history.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I would question the 30's era on the picture? That type of fancy border treatment on pictures wasn't done in the 1930's. Looks more like post WWII, and probably 1950's era picture developing. Although the clothing might appear earlier if it was a US scene, it's most likely European, and that style of hunter's clothing was used later and is still today.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Fairshake
Levergunner

Post by Fairshake »

The rifle in the picture is a 30-40 Krag, with the year of manufacture too hard to determine because of the quality of the pic. It was most likely a full length rifle that was cut down for sporter use but as I stated it could of also been a carbine model. This was a very popular build that was once thought to be the way to go for a good deer-bear rifle. I've had a 1898 model for over 50 years.
Take Care Fairshake
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Fairshake wrote:The rifle in the picture is a 30-40 Krag, with the year of manufacture too hard to determine because of the quality of the pic. It was most likely a full length rifle that was cut down for sporter use but as I stated it could of also been a carbine model. This was a very popular build that was once thought to be the way to go for a good deer-bear rifle. I've had a 1898 model for over 50 years.
Take Care Fairshake
I sure hope your post was tongue in cheek? That's not even a bolt action rifle, let alone a Krag! Appears to be some sort of double rifle, and at the least a break open action, not bolt action.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Fairshake
Levergunner

Post by Fairshake »

To be quite honest, I tried looking at the picture with my 68 YO eyes and Wally world 2.5 reading glasses and that was a total loss. I next tried to use my magnifying glass and it was also a no go.
Being that I live on $1000 a month and not able to access the high tech tools that our feds have, I decided to throw something out there to maybe start something going. I however had no desire to have any negative shots thrown as the OP would have to do better than the supplied material and the answer was not intended to win the prize of the week for best posting. Take Care David
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Fairshake; I have my "selective" reading glasses on lots of times with my mind on other stuff when I make a comment every so often too. :?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!