.379 NOE 235 Gr for .375 win ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

.379 NOE 235 Gr for .375 win ?

Post by EdinCT »

I saw where Swede Nelson had 20 % off his excellent molds this week. So I ordered a two cavity 235 gr gas checked with the changeable nose pins. I want to work up some loads for a 375 BB carbine and am inquiring on what has worked and which grove should I crimp on.
I was disappointed to hear Hornady had discontinued the excellent 220 soft point and am hoping this maybe a good replacement. The Hollow point and cup point pin may help it to expand some and retain a long shank. Or just use the Ranch dog flat melplate for deep penetration.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .379 NOE 235 Gr for .375 win ?

Post by 6pt-sika »

Ranch Dog originally tried a 379-210GC mold but he didn't like the performance he got . I have one of the test molds for that bullet and it worked well for me . I also had a test mold for the RD 379-235GC and it shot nicely in the Marlin 375 I had , but I never killed a deer with that bullet .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

My Winchester, and Marlin both will accept a cartridge loaded with the bullet seated using the bottom crimp groove of the RD mold.
NRA Life Member
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The 235 ranch dog is all I shoot out of mine. It shoots great out to 400 yards. That is the farthest I have steel plates to.
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

The RD 235 FN is a great bullet. This season in PA I finally killed a whitetail with one of these bullets. The only movement I saw after the shot was the deer sliding down the steep mountainside. After years of carrying this rifle for most days of the season I finally got the shot I wanted and the bullet didn't miss the mark. Compliments to its accuracy too as it very often will shoot into one hole at 100M seated on top of a full charge of IMR 3031. Not counting flintlock kills, this is my third deer with a cast bullet and
one of the most satisfactory results too.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Steelbanger wrote:The RD 235 FN is a great bullet. This season in PA I finally killed a whitetail with one of these bullets. The only movement I saw after the shot was the deer sliding down the steep mountainside. After years of carrying this rifle for most days of the season I finally got the shot I wanted and the bullet didn't miss the mark. Compliments to its accuracy too as it very often will shoot into one hole at 100M seated on top of a full charge of IMR 3031. Not counting flintlock kills, this is my third deer with a cast bullet and
one of the most satisfactory results too.
Are you shooting a Marlin?
NRA Life Member
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Ted,

Yes, I am shooting a Marlin but it's chambered for the great 38-55 cartridge. My rifle is a former 336A rebarreled by Marlin using one of their last 38-55 barrels.I have gone through a few 38-55's but right now I am keeping the two remaining, The other one is a Winchester Legendary Frontiersmen.

Frank
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Steelbanger wrote:Ted,

Yes, I am shooting a Marlin but it's chambered for the great 38-55 cartridge. My rifle is a former 336A rebarreled by Marlin using one of their last 38-55 barrels.I have gone through a few 38-55's but right now I am keeping the two remaining, The other one is a Winchester Legendary Frontiersmen.

Frank
Sounds like a winner. So that's got the Marlin Cowboy barrel?

My next planned purchase is a original Winchester 38-55 or possibly a Marlin original. I'm just leery of buying old stuff on line. Cabelas in St. Louis had a real nice Winchester with a 26" octagon barrel a while back priced at $1600. I thought it was too high at the time, but now I'm kind of wishing I had nabbed it.
NRA Life Member
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

TedH wrote:
Steelbanger wrote:Ted,

Frank
Sounds like a winner. So that's got the Marlin Cowboy barrel?

My next planned purchase is a original Winchester 38-55 or possibly a Marlin original. I'm just leery of buying old stuff on line. Cabelas in St. Louis had a real nice Winchester with a 26" octagon barrel a while back priced at $1600. I thought it was too high at the time, but now I'm kind of wishing I had nabbed it.
Bear in mind if you buy a nice old Marlin 1893 in 38-55 "generally" they need a bullet in the .381-.383" range . FWIW the first deer I ever killed with a cast bullet or with a rifle that was unscoped was with a Marlin 336CB in 38-55 shooting the RCBS 38-250GC .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

6 PT I see NOE has the same mold in .382.
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_in ... j26vh4t245
I am hoping to cast this weekend I also ordered a 312316 115 gr. with the changeable nose pins and the tracking says its in my post office.