Which IER scope for low light shooting?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Which IER scope for low light shooting?

Post by Tycer »

My buddy was complaining last night that he can no longer see at dusk with his aperture site. Which IER scope will give great light transmission?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Which IER scope for low light shooting?

Post by Pete44ru »

Tycer, given the huge advances in optics, IMHO it's lately become more of a determination of which scope fits one's budget - as just about every scope is plenty bright enough for use.

I actually find that the type of reticle is what makes the difference, with a heavy reticle or a (dim, for twilight) red dot (illuminated) reticle being an excellent choice . (too bright a red dot reticle will wash out the sight picture in dim lighting)

Any one of the "name"/standard optic makers (Leupold, Burris, etc, etc) would be a good choice - but (presuming it will be a scout mounting) it would behoove your friend to measure the distance from his shooting eye (with the rifle held in firing position) to the location that the rear end of the IER (intermediate eye relief) scope would end up if/when mounted on the rifle.

Keep in mind that the various mounts may place the scope in a different position on any given rifle - so it would be wise for him to first obtain/install the mount of choice.

Determining that distance (in inches) is paramount for a full/clear sight picture through the scope - and keep in mind that most humans require slightly different distances, depending on things like a long/short neck, full/thin face, etc.
Also, keep in mind that different rifles may necessitate mounting the scope in a different location than on other rifles. (YMMV)

The eye distance your friend requires can be compared to each scope's eye relief/distance (available in each scope's technical specifications - online or in it's owner manual).

HMMV, but when I measured my needs, I ended up requiring an eye distance a bit longer than both the Leupold and the Burris "Scout" scopes afforded for comfortable use - and ended up with a Weaver 2x28 LER (long eye relief) handgun scope on my Marlin 1894.

IIRC, that scope happened to have an eye distance of 9"-to-17", which fit my 9-1/2" requirements on that rifle better than other handgun scopes that had (typically) 11"-to-21" distances.

The uppermost rifle, below, is my Marlin 1894P, after I mounted that Weaver scope.

There's a lot of moving parts to the best solution, for sure..........................

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

For hunting, and plinking I've found that a ghost ring (take the insert out of a peep sight) and a large fibre optic front will look just like a red (green) dot when used properly, ie, just look thru the hole and put the glowing dot on the target. I've found that this works wonderfully right up to end of legal shooting time. And, in WA State, this is almost completely dark.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I know it isn't "conventional" (but neither is scoping a levergun), but - - - try a Trijicon ACOG, if you want excellent clarity, compactness, and durability. The only drawbacks are price (ya get what ya pay for) and it 'looks funny' (but the deer never complain).

Pricey, but definitely the best 4x scope I've ever seen, with an incredibly bright and easy to see reticle regardless of lighting conditions. The 'military' parts of the reticle are not distracting, as in most hunting situations they blend in with the branches and so on.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/ ... id=TA31H-G

Got my deer with it last week using my 1894 Marlin in 44 Mag... 8)

Oops.... :oops: ..............I realized you needed 'intermediate eye relief' - the ACOG is actually a pretty short eye relief, but light and compact enough you could mount it on a side-plate mount like the B-Square (mounts by replacing the screw that allows access to the bolt/lever pin, so you don't drill or tap). Of course on the Marlin you just mount it on the top of the receiver like 'normal'.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Lineri
Levergunner

Post by Lineri »

I apologize for bump an old topic from the dead, just have a few interesting observations from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future
I don't hunt anymore, and I don't like scopes in general because they clutter up the lines of the rifles I prefer, which are mostly for relatively short range "utility" uses.
That said, I own eight scopes. Two old ones that came on rifles I bought used & sit in a drawer in the basement, one inexpensive Bushnell variable on a Ruger 10/22 rifle, one Leupold fixed six power on a Winchester Model 70 in .300 WSM (for hunting & longer ranges, if I ever decide to hunt again), one four-power fixed on an AR15, one four-power fixed for an AR15 (sits in its box on the shelf) one Burris Scout 2.75 on a Savage .308 Scout Rifle, and one Burris Scout 2.75 on a Ruger Frontier .308 carbine.
The Scout scope principle was designed to be simple, fixed power (generally less inclined to break something internally), and low enough power to combine the capability of the single aiming point advantage with enough magnification to improve the sight picture to a useful degree over a wide range of distances and allow use with both eyes open. Much more magnification in a fixed power scope reduces the ability to shoot as effectively close up, while the 2.75 gives plenty of view out to 200 yards and beyond, if the conditions are good. Making a variable Scout scope would defeat part of the purpose behind it, which again is simplicity and consistency. But, people have different preferences, and a variable might be nice on occasion. I think you might run into problems in using both eyes on a higher powered Scout scope, though.
The Scout scope for me, is a hand-carryin' gun. The conventional scope is either a truck or sling-carryin' gun. Scout scope is quicker for me, and the Burris gives me plenty of power for a bear at 30 yards or a deer at 200, if I need it, and I don't worry about what setting I left it on, or having to adjust for distance. Simple & quick, like iron sights. For situations where speed doesn't matter, most people can shoot better (via seeing better) at longer distances with a conventional scope, and one with more magnification.
Whether you want a Scout setup, or a conventional hunting setup, depends on how you intend to use the rifle. In high mountain country where you may be shooting from peak to peak or across canyons, a conventional setup may work better for you. In brush country where distances are closer and shots may need to be quicker, the Scout could work better.
I tested both the Burris and the Leupold a while back, the Leupold was slightly brighter, but I went with the Burris because it's shorter & lighter.I like to watch YouTube videos of a similar theme when I'm looking for information about the right product. I hope this helps someone in the future. Good luck!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OrmBy4tn7E
Good luck.