First gun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

First gun?

Post by Old Savage »

What was the first gun that you wanted?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: First gun?

Post by crs »

BB gun.
Bought myself a Daisy pump and slayed many birds, including a dove on the ground and a flushing bobwhite.
been hooked on guns and hunting ever since.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ruger 10/22 back when they first came out......and I got one as a gift that year.

Next one I wanted was a Single Six stainless convertible revolver....I didn't get one until about 35 years later....!!!!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Savage model 24 for my fourteenth birthday.
The last present from my Dad.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Not including a BB gun the first rifle that I bought myself was a Winchester 94. My first rifle I ever had was a Winchester 190 .22 that my grandfather left me when he died.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Tie, Winchester 94 and the M16.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Got a Winchester 67 boys rifle for my eighth birthday. Single shot bolt. Couple years before I was allowed to use it without an adult.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

WHEN I WAS YONKER.....I WANTED A 22 AND AN 870
DAD GAVE THEM BOTH TO ME.....STILL HAVE THE 22 STEVEN 67D SEMI AUTO
BOTH PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE....AND GREAT MEMORIES TOO!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Crossman 760 pellet/BB rifle. They had wood stocks then. Then a Remington Nylon 77, Dad said no tube feeds but would let me have the 5 shot clip.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Savage 99.

It was the first non .22 rifle I ever used.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Winchester 94 and I bought one at 15 years old in 1956 and still have it.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I wanted a shotgun to hunt with. In the fall of 1949 my dad bought a Stevens single barrel 20 gauge for me. I thought it was the prettiest gun I had ever seen. While I was off across the country working my dad loaned it to a friend and it disappeared for good.
For a third grade boy that was a lot of gun, we took a bunch of game for many years.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Winchester 94 in 30wcf like my Dad's. I've got it now, but I have to say though that my 94 src in 25-35 is more fun. Didn't get a rifle of my own until I was married and in my 30's. Figure the M-14 doesn't count.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

lever action bb gun was first.

then I bought a remington 7mm rolling block carbine from a magazine ad with paper-route money. I was probably a freshman in h.s. when I bought it.

looked almost exactly like this:

http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/images/re ... %20(4).jpg

I used to love shooting it. It looked like Pancho Villa carried it around the deserts.

then I bought a webley revolver. it looked like this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Webley_IMG_6789.jpg

bought it while still in h.s. and it came to the mailbox at the house, same as the rolling block.

my my, times have changed, eh?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Mossberg 183, 3 shot b/a .410. I was thirteen and fed up with airguns. My parents got me a s/b English .410 that cost a lot more but I still wanted that repeater!
Still only have a Spanish copy of the Mossberg.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

crs wrote:BB gun.
Bought myself a Daisy pump and slayed many birds, including a dove on the ground and a flushing bobwhite.
been hooked on guns and hunting ever since.
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Actually, it was a primo-condition 12ga Ithaca NID SxS, offered to me for the grand sum (then) of $25, in 1959 (when I was finishing HS, and first getting into hunting).

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

An AR-15 carbine.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

One of those Calico carbines with the 9mm helical drum of 100 rounds... Luckily they would remain out of reach until I found out how marginal they actually were.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

First gun i ever wanted? Nearly every gun I saw! But, the first gun I bought was a Ruger Single Six w/both cylinders, back in '71...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I got a Daisy BB gun somewhere around 5 or 6 years old. Then my Dad bought me a Marlin-Glenfield Model 75 at an Estate sale when I was 10. First gun I bought on my own was a 1851 Navy repro I mail ordered from Gander Mountain when I was in my mid teens. I still have the .22, and the 1851 revolver.
NRA Life Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Mossberg bolt action 20 bore with poly choke
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BB, and pellet guns, then I was allowed at about 15 to purchase a Mossburg 12ga pump with an adjustable choke. It really beat the pelosi out of me ( :oops: :oops: :oops: I thought I needed high brass loads for rabbits and squills).
Every decent toy I got I worked and paid for. :wink: Something kids today might not understand.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I grew up shooting my Dad's Springfield 22 single shot and his 16 gauge model 12. When I was 12 the folks bought me an Ithica 410 double but the thing I really just ached for was a Colt SAA. I think I was about 16 when I traded my Remington 44 cap and ball for 5 1/2" nickel 44-40 made in 1881. One piece walnut grips and the etched panel on the barrel. I gave $38 for the Remington and $35 difference for the Colt.

No, I don't still have it. My second ex-wife said it was stolen from her locked car.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

From day 1, I wanted them all and today I got em. :

Think small, you get small, think big, you get big. ------6
Model A Uzi’s
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I "wanted" a 9422 but they were too pricey so I got a 10/22 instead with no regrets.
Later on I wanted a model 1894 Marlin in 44 magnum. This one I did get.
After 40 years I still own both.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Browning T-bolt, circa about 1965 or 66. I traded my shot out old Winchester pump and dad made up the rest. Got it at the Bon Marche in Tacoma, Washington. That thing was so accurate even our marksmanship merit badge coach was impressed -- and he was on the Fort Lewis pistol team.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
First gun I wanted was a 12 gauge shotgun for hunting. Had borrowed a 410 Stevens for some time. Dad found and bought an Iver Johnson 12 gauge 32 inch Matte Rib which is still with me. Slew everything from rabbits to ducks, pheasants, fox and bunches of crows. Won turkey shoots in the Chattanooga area while in Bible College. That barrel holds one sweet tight pattern.
Going to pop some turkeys with it next time north.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

First gun I wanted was a 1961 Win 94 ... And, I found one in excellent condition. :-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

As a kid I remember wanting a Remington 788 in 7mm-08. And a Nylon 66.

As an adult....a Dillon Aero M134. :mrgreen:
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

Remington Nylon 66 when I was 16. I'm nearly 64 now and I still have it. It's been utterly reliable with God only knows how many rounds of whatever brand of .22 LRs I put through it
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

Nylon 66 - killed my first squirrel with that rifle way back when. Broke the stock while horse back in HS.

Won my second rifle at a skeet match when I was 10. Won a shoot off against adults. Still have that rifle. I have put a bizzilion rounds through that rifle.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

My maternal grandfather's Winchester take down M1885 (low wall) .22 LR Winder musket. My grandfather, my dad, uncles, and my brother hunted woodchucks with it and it killed my first woodchuck.

When my grandfather died I asked the executrix --my Mom -- 'bout it, but it was told it not to be found. Few years ago, while talking to my nephew I mentioned that I always wanted it, but it was "lost." He said that my brother (his Dad) took it to keep from "growing legs" like a few other things did. Few weeks later, my nephew gave me the ol' Winchester. Every time I see and shoot it, the memories come to fore....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

I remember as a young kid in the mid 70's I would find old catalogs and quietly lay on the carpet in the afternoon sun flipping pages (while visiting my grandparents in the middle of nowhere, during their afternoon naps). I would drool over the black and white pages of levers... those naps could never be long enough...

When it came time in my mid 20's I picked up a shiny recievered '94 30-30 from 1976. It said yes to me then, and it's still my baby now. (:
My first child - '94 30-30
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Camel73 wrote:I remember as a young kid in the mid 70's I would find old catalogs and quietly lay on the carpet in the afternoon sun flipping pages (while visiting my grandparents in the middle of nowhere, during their afternoon naps). I would drool over the black and white pages of levers... those naps could never be long enough...

When it came time in my mid 20's I picked up a shiny recievered '94 30-30 from 1976. It said yes to me then, and it's still my baby now. (:
Welcome to the fire Camel73.... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Wanted a Nylon 66 so bad I could taste it.

My dad was killed in a car accident on the day in October he first took me hunting. Asked for the Nylon 66 for Christmas that year and my mom instead bought me no good Sears rifle because it was $3-4 cheaper. She didn't know there was any difference between the two.

Sears rifle broke after 30-40 rounds. Fixed under warranty, it never did work right. & became a rafter queen. Stolen in a B&E 25 years later

Never did get that Nylon 66.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I know where there is one right now, well last Saturday, for $175.

geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I wanted a 16 guage model 12. Bought one when I was 13 with my paper route money. It had a poly choke on it and cost ~$60. I passed on a Winchester 1887 12 gauge in favor of the model 12. IIRC, it was $65. (ouch!)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine !

Saw it when I was a youngster in the 1960 "Shooters Bible" !

And now I have a carbine in 243 and a rifle in 308 !

The 243 !

And the 308 with a deer I killed with it 5 years ago !

I'd still like to add a 270 or 308 in the carbine variation .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Not the first gun I owned, but the first gun I wanted was a S&W 629. I purchased it with my summer job at a grocery store.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

marlin model 39.. didn't get one until about 25 years ago. now have several variants of it.
cable
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

12 ga Winchester Model 37 Single Shot. Unfortunately it was stolen at deer camp while I was out hunting! Pretty sure I know who did it but was never able to prove it!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

First gun I wanted was a 1890 Winchester pump I saw at a local sporting goods store as a kid. The old gentleman at the gun counter let me hold it, although I was only about 13 yrs. old. It was $85, and not a creampuff, just a nice old gun. He told me to bring my dad in, and he would talk to him.
We lived in the city, and didn't have any guns in the house, but my dad had grown up with guns he shot. So when I asked him to go back with me, he agreed. On the way there, he asked a lot of questions concerning what I'd use it for, and where I'd use it. My grandparents lived in a rural area, as did my uncle, so I told him I'd take it along to shoot when we visited. He also wanted to know where the funds would come from, as he couldn't buy it, and not have to buy one for my other three brothers, as he was sure they'd want equal guns or presents! I told him I had $20 saved from lawns, and could work and save more.
When we got to the store wee all talked, and the gun counter guy agreed to take my $20, and put the gun in the back. I would pay the rest as I earned money, until it was paid off, and my dad could come and pick it up! I was the happiest I'd ever been in my young life, and set to making money. Pushed my dad's lawnmower all over the neighborhood, and let everyone know I preferred money for birthdays and Christmas! My uncle helped a bunch by having me work on his farm on weekends at $10 a day. So it didn't take long to pay off the 1890, and it came home. I continued to work to support ammo purchases, but the gun shop guy tossed in several boxes of .22 Short in the purchase.
The gun was actually a very early solid frame 1890, which at that time I had no idea how good a deal I really had gotten! I was infatuated with my new gun, and quickly wanted to know more about it. So I perused the local library to find whatever I could. After discovering the gun's true value, I decided I'd sell it, and make some money. I'd had it a couple years by then, and wanted other guns. Plus I was working in a bakery after school doing clean up, and making a whopping $1.60 an hour! I ended up selling the gun to a Winchester pump collector for $500, and replaced it with a Model 12 Remington pump, plus two other .22 rifles. The remainder went into my gun fund, and fueled future gun purchases I don't remember. Even my dad was impressed with my entrepreneurial efforts, and was happy to go with me on my gun searches to help in making the purchases!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Ditto 6pt-sika
BUT... Finally had the funds to buy a like new 1903 Springfield to sporterize... Lucked out & got the one that had full pistol grip out of the two cases they had in the gunstore. It was years later I realized what a bad thing I'd done... But that was back in 65 when that was the thing to do...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

My dad had a couple of .22 rifles when I was growing up, so I never "wanted" to buy a gun.

The very first one I bought with my own paycheck was in summer 1972, a brand-new-off-the-drawing-board Winchester 9422, purchased at the gun shop at the North Island Naval Air Station. A beauty, and very very accurate. (Like an idiot, I sold it 25 years later to a pal ...... and then could never convince him to sell it back to me).

Three months later I had more cash and bought a Remington Nylon 66 ..... still got it, I learned that lesson the hard way.

Cheers,

Carl