.380, or .38 Special

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

.380, or .38 Special

Post by Blaine »

I used to carry my AirWeight. Fits in inner vest pocket, and 5 shots. Great shooter with 130gr JHP +P.
Then I got an LCP, which is super easy to slip in a pocket, and is 6 +1. I have 90gr JHPs for it.
I carry two speed loaders for the Airweight, and two extra mags for the LCP.
I tend to believe that the .38 Special might be more effective as a stopper, but I like the size, and mag reloads of the LCP mo betta.....For now, I'll stick to these pocket guns instead of holstering up something bigger like a G30S, although the 45s go with my when I'm out in the woods. (FWIW, my very first carry was an AirLite, and I didn't feel naked with 8 Stingers on hand)
Any comments?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .380, or .38 Special

Post by jeepnik »

I look at them as interchangeable. With today's ammo either will be sufficient. This said by one who swears by the .45 acp. I really like my new Glock 42. Considerably bigger than my old AMT .380 acp Backup (single action model). But, it is easier to shoot.

In fact, there have been a few times I've carried the 42 as primary and the Backup as, well, backup.

With the .38 spl revolvers I tend to carry my CA Southpaw as either a primary or backup. I have from time to time carried the Southpaw and one of my S&W snubbies. Southpaw as primary.

Truthfully with guns of this caliber I pretty much use whatever strikes my fancy on any given day.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

When I first became a cop, I was required to carry a .38Spl. 6 plus 2 speedi-loaders never seemed too lightly armed. In the military I was used to carrying a 1911A1 with two magazines of 7 rounds of ball. The JHP 38s seemed better suited to business than 45 ball. Off duty, then working plain clothes I could carry a 1911, so I got a Combat Commander and carried JHPs in 45Auto. Always felt more confident... Now, I hardly ever carry that S&W, and carry either the CC or the full-size 1911.

A 380 might be ok, but, a 45 seems so much more appropriate. Especially in light of the past few days, and what I perceive to be a renewed threat against the homeland.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

While the old saying "they all fall to ball" is certainly not correct, .45 acp ball does work. And my kids are thankful, or they wouldn't be.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Years ago I pocket carried a s&w model 60. It was stolen along with my truck. I replaced it with a s&w model 40. Sometime ago I bought a Sig 238. It was on some sale with close to a $150s knocked off. They do have great write up`s on the Sig. The smith`s are .38 special and the Sig is .380. I was most used to and miss that smith model 60. I shot it a lot and was good with it. I haven't got real use to the smith 40 yet. I bought the Sig because of the write up`s, being a real deal and the fact that it is so light and easy to pack. I also bought a extra magazine for it. I misplaced it and am still looking!
While the .380 is a impressive cartridge for the peanut size, it`s hard for me to believe it`s as good as a hot .38. I don't claim to be sure on that. I have pocket holsters for both, still I aint sold on pocket holsters. The Sig is lighter and easier to pack than my Smith model 40. Maybe it`s my fat build the type pants I wear. Anyway I more often carry either one just loose in my pocket. Here`s the punch line. My Sig has a real heavy trigger pull. I haven't learned to accurately shoot it yet. I was far more accurate with my old smith model 60. I am not that worried though about my poor accuracy as odd`s are IF I ever do need to use it, I suppose the distance wont be much more than handshaking distance. I will work on shooting it better. For small pocket pistols I believe I do own two of the best, the smith model 40 for revolver, and the Sig for a auto.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMO, the 9mm Parabellum Ruger LC9s (right, below :oops: ), at almost the same size, is a better choice than a .380/9mmK Ruger ElsiePee (LCP).

Image Image

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Certainly looks small and easy to pack. Where`s the sight`s?
Edit: I magnified the said gun above and it`s 380, not 9mm?
Anyway after looking for weeks I finally found my spare magazine.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I carry a Keltec .32 a lot more often than my 9's, 40's and 45's cause it disappears in my pocket and I don't even know it's there. I'm hoping that if I ever have to use it, it won't be against an educated criminal who reads gun magazines and frets over one stop shot articles. :wink:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

.380 all the way...
It can bring down a helicopter 200 yards away. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Booger Bill wrote:Certainly looks small and easy to pack. Where`s the sight`s?
Edit: I magnified the said gun above and it`s 380, not 9mm?
Anyway after looking for weeks I finally found my spare magazine.
Thanks, Bill - I apparently grabbed the wrong pic, but now it's fixed.

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I carry the Sig P238 in a Galco pocket holster. I figure 6 rounds of 380 center mass is more effective than the 8 rounds in the .45 I left in the glove box because it's too heavy and conspicuous to carry. I can shoot it just fine, it is accurate to minute of bad guy at any reasonable distance.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

In hot weather I carry a airweight most of the time also have a LC9 that shoots snake shot well
and snakes are the main reason I carry them in the summer, today I went for a long hike & had a
GP 100 along in a shoulder holster & it worked very well, as the need for more clothes arrives I
tend to carry more gun but don't feel short if I have the little S&W

ollogger
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

jnyork; How or what condition do you carry your Sig 238? I know, I know many carry them cocked and locked, but I still get the willeys thinking about it. Much of the time I have been carrying mine loose in my pocket and I just don't feel safe about it. I keep one in the pipe and a full magazine. The hammer down and figure on thumbing the hammer back for the first shot. Now if I was walking into a questionable situation I would probably cock and lock it and have it in my pocket with my hand on it.
I bought a 2nd magazine and have a rectangle knife sheath that fits it perfectly with the cover snapped. Could also safely carry it upside down like a drop pouch. Now I do also have a worked over 1911 Remington rand that is like the tiny Sig action and condition wise, but for that one I have a old rig that has a snap strap between the cocked hammer and frame.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've been a revolver fan all of my life, usually a 38 Spl for carrying. In my Smith 642 I fed it 4.5 grains of Unique and a 170 gr. Keith swc.

Funny thing happened last year....I found a Ruger LCP NRA edition in like new condition and I bought it. I shot 2 boxes of factory ammo (w-w 95 grain fmj ) with no issues. Then a couple of weeks ago I shot another box of the same factory ammo out of it. On the third magazine the gun stove piped on the second round. I will never use that gun again. I never liked it anyway...felt like a toy with minimal recoil.

While I'm no expert on shooting people I do know what bullets can do to other things and as far as I'm concerned, shooting that 95 grain bullet feels like a cap gun. I like heavy bullets in revolvers. Hopefully the time will never come when I need to blitz another human but if I have to that one time I want something that will work and penetrate to the vitals and I feel confident a heavy hard cast bullet from a revolver will not let me down.-------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

38 with SWC/LBT 158-160 gr, the flat nosed bullet will up your success rate. forget the 380 with HPs and if you are stuck with a 380 get some TC flat nosed FMC bullets, winchester loads a 95 gr TC fmc. any auto pistol round just gets better with a TC bullet. Look at Paco's 22 die, what happens when you flatten the RN to a FN better performance! danny
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Sixgun I do agree with you, I like and carry big heavy cast bullets. My main carry is a .44spl but sometimes I do pick up a .38spl.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

My duty pistol is a .45 (Glock), my backup is a 9mm S&W Shield. That's also my offduty piece.

I have no issues with 9mm as a duty pistol (these days, I would actually prefer it) with modern ammo. I've been carrying .45's for almost 20 years now and shooting them about 25 years, that's not said lightly.

In the .380/.38 argument.....either of them in the hand is better than the .45 left at home.

I've carried a .38 and speed strips, a .380, and a 9mm alternately. I stick with 9mm in autos, they're small enough these days the .380 doesn't make much sense.

If you do go for a .380, skip the JHPs and go with ball to achieve proper penetration (one of the few rounds you can really say that about, the other being .32)

If you're running a .38, better practice your reloads and hope it doesn't take more than five rounds. I've known several guys who were in situations where five was NOT enough. That said, a 642 and some reloads or a Glock 42/ LCP/S&W Bodyguard and 2 spare mags i would be fine with as a backup or only gun in a low threat situation.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I carry lcp all day every day and add more arms depending on the plan. the lcp white box fmj fp, and the equivalent american eagle, a truncated cone design penetrates into exactly the same water jug as my 9mm gold dot hollow point carry load. There are a number of successful murders purped with the lcp.

I have a couple of 45s, love shooting them, and when I go to the local international airport I carry one as primary, the 9 in a boot, the lcp in a pocket, and the 556 pistol nearby. just depends on the plan.

I'm not recommending any of this, but I'm comfortable with it.

I have a G22 that I don't carry because it stovepipes several times on every magazine. Good for tap and rack drills. Or is that rack and tap? Can't remember stuff.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

+1 on the LC9.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I've had a couple of Walther PPK's in .380acp in the past, but have carried a Glock 27/26 as a "BUG" for the last 9-years, and still own a S&W 642 in .38spl. (Gold Dot 135gr. +P). But recently I have been shooting and carrying either a M&P Shield 9mm or a Glock 43 in 9mm (don't like the G-43 as much as the Shield) as a "BUG". In the end my "BUG" is either something in 9mm or .38spl... :)
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Since you asked BlaineG....
I've pretty much settled on the same pair. Down here in Florida...we don't often have the luxury of going around with much more than shorts/jeans and a lightweight shirt. The LCP is so incredibly easy to carry I find it's always in my pocket.
All my other larger bore handguns...9mm, 45acp, 357 mag, 41 mag...are MUCH better fight stoppers...but not worth a darn in the drawer.
I've recently acquired a S&W 642-2. (lightweight, hammerless 5-shot 38 SPL..rated for +P) Put in an Apex spring kit, added a Crimson Trace laser...and I have to say that preliminary indications are that this is going to be a GREAT carry piece also. I believe 38 +P rounds are a bit better than even the best .380's...but neither are 45 acp, or 357 mag.
I'm not a laser kind of guy...but in the short-barreled lightweight S&W...I'm making an exception, and so far...I LIKE IT.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I carry either interchangeably. My 38 is a Colt Cobra, bobbed hammer and Tyler T grip adapter loaded with my loads of 125 grain XTP and some 2400. The 380 is a Remington M51. One of old ones made in the '20s or 30s. The 380 is loaded with Hornady 90 grain XTP in their factory loadings. 100% in the old Remington. I use a pocket holster because it helps keep the gun from "printing" and is easier to access than loose in the pocket.
Seldom shoot the "hot" social loads in the Cobra but practice with mid-range wadcutters in a Detective Special. Saves wear and tear on the aluminum frame that carries so nicely. Pretty sure I'll die with one of these in my pocket.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWiedner wrote:+1 on the LC9.

:)
I easily could have opted for that if it had been available when I was looking.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

here's what I don't get about the lc9. near as I can tell it is functionally the same size as my xdsc9, with less capacity.

what's the attraction?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:here's what I don't get about the lc9. near as I can tell it is functionally the same size as my xdsc9, with less capacity.

what's the attraction?
Probably just Brand Loyalty....Aren't those XDs made in the Balkans someplace? Croatia? I don't know if that's bad, or good. I once had a full size XD something in .45...didn't care for it.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

xd's are made in croatia. they are battle proven firearms.

I like ruger stuff a lot. I like reliability and capacity in that order. I got the xd9 because of the 30k round torture test where there was not a single failure. they could not make it quit.

plus, the short mag holds 13 rounds.

+ the xd45 is more reliable than the 1911A1 with my loads

plus it's not a glock . . . :lol:

yes, I have a glock.

somewhere.

where did I leave that thing?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:xd's are made in croatia. they are battle proven firearms.

I like ruger stuff a lot. I like reliability and capacity in that order. I got the xd9 because of the 30k round torture test where there was not a single failure. they could not make it quit.

plus, the short mag holds 13 rounds.

+ the xd45 is more reliable than the 1911A1 with my loads

plus it's not a glock . . . :lol:

yes, I have a glock.

somewhere.

where did I leave that thing?
You could leave it in my truck. :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I've been paying a lot of attention to carry arms lately as I've just recently realized I'm too young to die, and too old to take an *** whoopin". I have a 2" .38 stuffed with heavy loaded DEWCs for the house and I still have some "Starfire"125 gr. JHP +P that I bought long ago. Being about 2" wide the .38 is not as concealable as a small semi-auto so I've been leaning towards an LC9s. My normal dress is a plain long sleeve shirt (I like Cabalas shirts :wink: ) and my .38 is not totally concealed much of the time.. I've always wanted a "James Bond" Walther PPK (and have a .25 ACP I.J. in that design), but I am impressed with the LC9s' size and 9mm. . But, if I could hide one effectively, I'd much prefer my 1911 loaded with 200 gr. SWC... :mrgreen:
Last edited by mikld on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

With all the recent goings on locally and nationally, I'm rethinking my G42 that I've been comfortable with for a while now. I was wishing I hadn't traded off my G36, so now I am going back to a 45acp, this time in a double stack configuration.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TedH wrote:With all the recent goings on locally and nationally, I'm rethinking my G42 that I've been comfortable with for a while now. I was wishing I hadn't traded off my G36, so now I am going back to a 45acp, this time in a double stack configuration.
I had a G36 a long time ago....absolutely loved it. I got famous at work for using 230 hardball to shoot grouse :D I stupidly let it go cheap to my ex (bad words deleted) SIL.....I got a G30S off of a Forumite, and love it just as much. It's at my nightstand these days, and in the truck when I go wandering....
I'm just either lazy, or unmotivated to holster it up for local social work.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Booger Bill wrote:jnyork; How or what condition do you carry your Sig 238?
l]
I carry it in Condition 1, Bill, that's what it is designed for. Instead of loose in the pocket, I can really recommend the Galco pocket holster to you, makes it easier to remove from pocket, keeps the gun properly oriented in the pocket and protects the safety lever as well as the finish on the gun. Here' the list of safeties built into the gun, keeping in mind the REAL safety is the one between your ears. :D

The single action only trigger, in combination with the thumb
safety, ensures safe carrying of the weapon and provides
instant readiness when needed.
The automatic firing pin safety blocks the firing pin unless
the trigger is pulled.
The hammer safety intercept notch prevents the hammer
from contacting the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled.
The disconnector prevents the hammer from falling when
the slide is out of battery (not fully closed).
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Thanks. Condition two is awkward on the little 238. I have a hunter pocket holster and it does cover the trigger but is awkward to try to get the gun out without the holster coming with it. The gun came with at first blush, a laughable 1/2 ounce plastic clip holster. Looks like something out of a cracker jack box I first thought. The fact is, it does work. Although I can here, I am not into OCing in town. I do when I ride the trails on our RZR, but then I carry a larger revolver. The clip holster it came with does cover the trigger. The 238 sig differs from a 1911 in the respect that it doesn't have a grip safety but I also am aware some 1911 guys pin them down. Now that the weather is cooler and I will be wearing a jacket I will try OCing with the clip holster in condition one. For CCing in the pocket I am more comfortable carrying my s&w model 60 still. I will work with this, thanks.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

mikld, I have a holster from south Texas that you can wear and carry a full size 1911 under a t shirt and not be seen or printed. It is made by CME Holsters from Sinton Texas.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

BlaineG wrote:
TedH wrote:With all the recent goings on locally and nationally, I'm rethinking my G42 that I've been comfortable with for a while now. I was wishing I hadn't traded off my G36, so now I am going back to a 45acp, this time in a double stack configuration.
I had a G36 a long time ago....absolutely loved it. I got famous at work for using 230 hardball to shoot grouse :D I stupidly let it go cheap to my ex (bad words deleted) SIL.....I got a G30S off of a Forumite, and love it just as much. It's at my nightstand these days, and in the truck when I go wandering....

I should start a thread locating all my ex-firearms that have found homes here. Lol
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

rjohns94 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

I should start a thread locating all my ex-firearms that have found homes here. Lol
Yer one of my favorite fixers.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Try the Glock 30SF or the Glock 30S, both good choices... :)
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

jnyork wrote:
Booger Bill wrote:jnyork; How or what condition do you carry your Sig 238?
l]
I carry it in Condition 1, Bill, that's what it is designed for. Instead of loose in the pocket, I can really recommend the Galco pocket holster to you, makes it easier to remove from pocket, keeps the gun properly oriented in the pocket and protects the safety lever as well as the finish on the gun. Here' the list of safeties built into the gun, keeping in mind the REAL safety is the one between your ears. :D

The single action only trigger, in combination with the thumb
safety, ensures safe carrying of the weapon and provides
instant readiness when needed.
The automatic firing pin safety blocks the firing pin unless
the trigger is pulled.
The hammer safety intercept notch prevents the hammer
from contacting the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled.
The disconnector prevents the hammer from falling when
the slide is out of battery (not fully closed).
I'm of a mind then when I carry in a pocket, and need to deploy at such a close range, I do not want to have to remember to disengage the safety. Do not like carrying the Sig in the pocket . I have a Kahr PM9 and P380 for that purpose. Draw and pull the trigger. Less to go wrong at that range.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

rjohns94 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

You ended up with more than one of mine too. :lol:
NRA Life Member
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

When you really want to cut out the morning EDC decision.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

CS, upgrade those lemons to the red spoon variant they work much better. danny
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

:wink:
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I'm in favor of 38 special. A Model 10 in a Simply Rugged pancake
works pretty well. I like the 158gr. LSWCHP loaded on the warm side.
A Beretta 92 in a Simply Rugged pancake works well, too. Whether 6
warm 38 Special 158gr. slugs is a better solution than 17 115gr. 9mm
rounds, is a debate for another thread. :lol:

'Course, I live in Maine, and most of the year we can wear enough
clothing to hide anything short of a Ma Deuce......... :o

-Stretch
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

cshold wrote::wink:
I figgered it out..... :)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I have a nice old 4" Smith & Wesson M&P. I also have a 4" Colt trooper. If I want to belt carry similar I also have a 3" model 36. They are a J frame 5 shot. It usually gets the nod over the M&P or Trooper for packing in town. Lighter and less bulky. I use a pancake for it.

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

BlaineG wrote:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

cshold wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
Not a word, Sparky..... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I found out that a Glock 26 takes up about as much room as a S&W 640 but carries twice the ammo.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Modern revolver's are great...

BUT...

They're lacking that one thing...

"THE COOL FACTOR" IMHO :P
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I'd rather have a 380 ready to stick up someone's nose if need be than to tell a would be attacker to "hold on a sec, lemme run to my glovebox and retrieve my gak, its a Browning high power and will mess you up !"

I have a 642 Smith with Crimson Trace grips, plus a Glock 42 and a Sig 238 i carry about an equal amount ---- the 642 carries one less round but it is ready to rock, while the little autos are not chambered when i am carting them around loose in my pocket-- although i do have a thin neoprene pocket sleeve for them
----- Doug
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like my Kel Tec P3AT. Mine has never failed on the firing range. No stovepipes, no FTF, no failure of any kind. Maybe 2,000 total rounds out of it in 8 years. It is not fun to target practice with, but I am not worried about it working. It is as reliable as a revolver as far as I can see.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost