Legendary Frontiersman ?????

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Legendary Frontiersman ?????

Post by rbertalotto »

I saw a Legendary Frontiersman at Cabelas in Wheeling on my ride out to Missouri. They had two, both new, in the box. $1099 and $1199. Not sure why one was $100 more.

A couple questions.....

Were these made in Japan or USA?

Were they only available with round barrel or was octagon offered?

I'm seeing them selling for a low of $795 to a high of $1000 on Gun Broker......I believe they made 20,000 of them so they are not rare.

Anyone have one and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Legendary Frontiersman ?????

Post by Steelbanger »

Hello,

I bought one used from your neck of the woods a few years back (Kittery T.P.) and I love it. Although it isn't my first 38-55 it is most impressive with the Williams receiver sight. I didn't get the box or any papers but it was rated at 95% and I intended to shoot it asap. I believe it was mine for $695. And it's a beauty.

You'll love one if you decide to get it. I started into the 38-55 cartridge and used a Marlin CB model. Although it shot very accurately I found it a bit heavy out front while the Winchester balances just right for me.

At 75 years of age my iron sight days are about over and in fact I didn't fire a single match this year but have made up my mind to get active again next year.

If you have any specific questions let me know.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

I bought a used one from an Pawn Shop employee earlier this year. It had some flaking on the finish of the receiver.
I have only shot it a few times with factory ammo.
I think we agreed on $425.00.
Still it is a nice looking rifle.

busa
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

rbertalotto wrote:
I saw a Legendary Frontiersman at Cabelas in Wheeling on my ride out to Missouri. They had two, both new, in the box. $1099 and $1199. Not sure why one was $100 more.

A couple questions.....

Were these made in Japan or USA? -

They are post-64 Wimchesters, made in New Haven in 1979 (only).

Were they only available with round barrel or was octagon offered? -

They were issued with 24" round barrels only.

I'm seeing them selling for a low of $795 to a high of $1000 on Gun Broker......I believe they made 20,000 of them so they are not rare.

Thanks
The Legendary Frontiersman is basically an upgraded clone of the original Model 1894 Rifle (model), right down to a full-length magazine & a non-standard (for Rifle Models) straight-grip buttstock, but made on the post-64 action.

As such, NIB, they are comparable in appearances with similar Rifles (models) that once came out of the Winchester Custom Shop as "Highly Finished Arms" - thus enabling folks today to enjoy a clone of a at roughly 25% of the cost of a 98%-100% condition original specimen (if one could even be found today).

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

To add to what Pete said, they are generally not considered collectible unless the original box, and paper is all there. Cabela's runs a little more than most other places in this sort of stuff... but if the paper is all there, I'd consider those prices absolutely top of the line... the gun would have to be unfired AND have all the correct paperwork. But, on the plus side, these are all generally considered to be good shooters. Several cowboy shooters have used a variety of the Winchester Commemoratives to win or seriously compete in Long Range matches. Several folks also use them for cowboy silhouette.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

IMO, the LFM is the most aesthetically pleasing of the commemorative models, except for that tacky stock medallion. I assume all commemorative models have a tacky stock medallion, however, except for maybe, the Chief Crazy Horse? What a great caliber, .38-55. The few that I have owned have had the same same groove diameter, .375, pretty pewter receiver with cool engraving, beautiful wood, crescent butt plate, long, round barrel, excellent fit and finish. What is not to like? There were still some master gunmakers at Winchester at that time who remembered Winchester's heyday and wanted to demonstrate that Winchester could still build a beautiful rifle. I can't comment on the price. Last one I bought was new in box five years ago at $675.00. Except for the early Big Bore .375 XTR model, I feel the LFM is the nicest of the post 64 model 94 Winchesters. Good luck with yours, 1886.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

I have too many commemoratives and the LF is my favourite one and the only NIB one I tempted myself to shoot. Slug your bore, mine was key holing factory 38-55 loads at 100M.

It is imo the nicest commemorative. If you get the commemorative ammo with it, don't shoot that ammo.

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

1886 wrote:
IMO, the LFM is the most aesthetically pleasing of the commemorative models, except for that tacky stock medallion.

I assume all commemorative models have a tacky stock medallion, however, except for maybe, the Chief Crazy Horse?

My Canadian RailRoad Centennial .32 Special commemorative had no buttstock medallion - just "CPR" branded/burnt into the stock.

Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Aussie Chris wrote:I have too many commemoratives and the LF is my favourite one and the only NIB one I tempted myself to shoot. Slug your bore, mine was key holing factory 38-55 loads at 100M.

It is imo the nicest commemorative. If you get the commemorative ammo with it, don't shoot that ammo.

Chris
What is the ammo worth? I have a few boxes.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Thanks folks....anyone know...

A couple questions.....

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

They were top ejects made in '79 I believe. There werent any Winchester 94 rifles made in Japan until sometime in the 00's. Not sure what significance it has, the Miroku made guns are outstanding quality, though the plain jane versions tend to cost about what the high end collectors price they are asking for this one.

The only references Ive seen are round barrels.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Marc, it's worth what someone is prepared to pay. Here in AUS I've seen shops ask $100 a box.

Rbertolotto, they were made in New Haven they are not a Japchester. Round barrel only.

Just buy it already!
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

rbertalotto wrote:I saw a Legendary Frontiersman at Cabelas in Wheeling on my ride out to Missouri. They had two, both new, in the box. $1099 and $1199. Not sure why one was $100 more.

A couple questions.....

Thanks
I had a Bicentennial that was also gorgeous. I sold mine a couple years ago not wanting to shoot a pristine unfired model with all the goodies. I had enough shooters without using this one. I got in the mid $800's if I remember right.

A friend on mine had a Marlin Cowboy in 38-55 (I've got it now) and by chance, he shot through a 3" hackberry tree and killed his deer on the other side. He was quite a ways off and didn't see the tree. :D
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

http://www.commemorativecollectors.com/

A good site that should set your mind at ease.