Low cost lubrisizer heater

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Low cost lubrisizer heater

Post by perry owens »

I don't keep my workshop heated all the time so a heating pad for my lubrisizer would be a handy addition. The Lyman heater costs around $71 in the US but getting one from Brownells UK costs UK£73, the equivalent of $115. I made my own low voltage heater for around $15 worth of parts. It works ok here where the winter temperatures seldom drop below freezing but I'm not sure it would be man enough for a Wisconsin winter. If you want to take a look at hat I did there is a short video on my You Tube channel here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0TMYG_z8S4

Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Low cost lubrisizer heater

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning (here)
For 30 years and more I have used an tractor oil pan heater. These are magnetic and attach to the oil pan of a tractor or any vehicle to keep the oil in the pan very warm during cold spells. I use mine attached to a 1/8 inch thick steel plate cut twice the width of my Lube/sizer mounted beneath the sizer. To get the lube/sizer reservoir hot faster the heater attaches via the magnets directly to the lube/sizer side.

Mine cost less than $7 those many years ago... today may be twice that. Most farm supply stores carry these in my home state of ILLinois USA.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Howdy again
Just looked at Ebay... Kats 200 Watt unit like mine is $36 shipped. Inflation is 4x what I was thinking.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Before I had a warm shop, I used a 75W PAR30 lightbulb aimed at it
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Very kewl perry :D
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Back when I bought my Lyman heater they were less than $40 US. I also have a magnetic engine block heater for those cold winter days that seldome happen here. :D
Perry, nice video! :wink:
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

Simply mount a piece of metal (aluminum is best) between your bench and the sizer. go to the local second hand store and pick up an old clothes iron and place it on the metal plate behind your sizer. You now have a thermostatically controlled heater for your lubrisizer for a couple dollars.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

retmech wrote:Simply mount a piece of metal (aluminum is best) between your bench and the sizer. go to the local second hand store and pick up an old clothes iron and place it on the metal plate behind your sizer. You now have a thermostatically controlled heater for your lubrisizer for a couple dollars.

That woulda been my suggestion !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

retmech wrote:Simply mount a piece of metal (aluminum is best) between your bench and the sizer. go to the local second hand store and pick up an old clothes iron and place it on the metal plate behind your sizer. You now have a thermostatically controlled heater for your lubrisizer for a couple dollars.
I like that!

For many years I used "Mike in Peru's" engine block technique with the addition that I rigged a light dimmer switch in line so I could adjust temps easier (though the engine block heater can be slid back part way off the steel plate to reduce the heat also). My block heater gave up some years ago and the price of new ones had jumped, so about 15 years ago Midway had a sale on one and I got it. It didn't have an adjustable thermostat, though. I just left my dimmer switch plugged in and work it that way...

But I hadn't thought of the second-hand clothes iron!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

That's what I did for mine and it works just fine. And really cheap :)

Chris
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Never used a heater. So had never given the issue any thought. Like the iron idea tho'!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!