Taurus Falls On Sword: To Pay Millions of $$ For Faulty Guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Taurus Falls On Sword: To Pay Millions of $$ For Faulty Guns

Post by Pete44ru »

Taurus has lost a class-action lawsuit for faulty safeties & other issues - which can effect up to 100,000 Taurus handgun owners.

http://bearingarms.com/massive-taurus-s ... 0-pistols/

Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Taurus Falls On Sword: To Pay Millions of $$ For Faulty

Post by Terry Murbach »

WHY am I not surprised, Pete ?!?!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I owned one that was made about 30 years ago. It was a copy of the S&W K22 and it was a well made and accurate revolver. I have handled several different Taurus handguns since and have not found one that I would pay actual money for.
One, a brand new stainless 4" barreled .357 mag. Was handed to me at the gun club range with the owner complaining that the cylinder was dragging on the barrel. Checking the cylinder/barrel gap, I unscrewed the barrel with my bare hands. :shock:

You should be able to get them cheap now! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

An unnamed friend has nothing but Tauri, and touts the LifeTime Warranty. It's a good thing, because most of them make a trip or two back to the factory. If a fella is short on funds, I'd go ugly S&W, or Ruger before I'd go Taurus.......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My Taurus guns are all older ones, and function well (38 Spl 5-shots, 22 WMR 8-shot, and their Taurus PT-92's).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I have an old PT-92 never had any problems with it and the threaded barrel for the Beretta 92 works well in it. I like the safety (frame mounted 1911 style) much better than the de-cocker on the Military 92A1. The only Taurus I ever kept of the ones I have had.
It is not the critic who counts
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Forgive me, but I don't pay any attention to Taurus handguns, ever since an ordered/new .22Mag M941 started into side-spitting lead & debris back into my face, from the first cylinder-ful I fired - but aren't the listed guns in the above article all plastic-framed autoloaders ?

Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Never owned one but thanks for the info.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Remember, Taurus discontinued.the Single Action "Gaucho" ... "Due to popularity..."
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Never owned a Taurus... Won't own a Mercury either! Might have bought a Lincoln until that actor guy started toutin' 'em in commercials... :twisted: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I dont have any firsthand experience with them. One gunsmith told me he wouldnt do action jobs because for the amount of work it took just to get them to the level of a factory Smith, and people were grumpy that it cost so much. Far simpler just to say no, and cheaper to buy the Smith in the end.

Someone on P-F I believe, said when they worked in a gunshop, over half the new Taurus guns they sold were sent back for repair. Sad.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Once again the lawyers come out smelling of roses.
If 100,000 guns are involved, that would mean a maximum of 300 bucks per gun to fix problems, or taurus will give the owner 150 or 200 bucks. An easy out for taurus.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I carry a 1992 Taurus model 431 3 inch .44spl, it has a nice deep blue on it. I have not had any trouble with it. If my gun fails me in a gun fight then I reckon ya'll can say "we told him so".
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I've owned one Taurus. I quickly sold it and won't ever go back. It first came with a cylinder in which the chambers were not evenly spaced. I had ordered it and was in a rush that day so didn't notice this until I got home. I discovered the defect looking down the bore before ever firing it. I opened the cylinder to look at it, and it was far enough off one could see the spacing error. On its return from the factory, the cylinder wobble was so bad, I immediately traded it away at the store where I picked it up.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

One of my friends has a relatively new Taurus 1911 auto that is full of features and it shoots great. One of the few 1911 style pistols I have been able to shoot well . It may be they are better making autos than revolvers?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've personally owned 5 Taurus revolvers, and one older Taurus 92 autoloader. Never had a lick of trouble out of any of them, and they all shot as accurate as I'd expect. Guess I'm just lucky.
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Paladin wrote:I have an old PT-92 never had any problems with it and the threaded barrel for the Beretta 92 works well in it. I like the safety (frame mounted 1911 style) much better than the de-cocker on the Military 92A1.
+1 Same reason I prefer mine! :D
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

JerryB wrote:I carry a 1992 Taurus model 431 3 inch .44spl, it has a nice deep blue on it. I have not had any trouble with it. If my gun fails me in a gun fight then I reckon ya'll can say "we told him so".
+1
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Back in the late '90s I ordered (thru Sports Authority) a new stainless Super Blackhawk. Man did I get a turd. It had grind marks all over it, the loading gate was misshapened and would not stay closed and was loose so rattled. I sold it unfired and bought a new Taurus model 44 with 6.5" compensated barrel (newly in stock at same Sports Authority). The quality of the Taurus was 110% better than that Super Blackhawk with no grind marks and a flawless polished stainless that looked like nickel plating (but I prefer satin). This gun has a smooth trigger pull in both SA & DA. It has been both 100% reliable and accurate.
I also own a model 94 9 shot 22LR in stainless with 3" barrel this one I purchased back in the early '90s. This one the trigger guard was ground unevenly so not symmetrical when looking head-on at it. It bugged me so I did some file work to correct it. It also misfired about 33% of the time in DA mode, and the rear sight would wander with every trigger pull. I sent it back to Taurus and in 2 weeks I had it back with new rear sight, and a slightly stiffer hammer spring resulting in a slightly heavier DA trigger pull BUT no more misfires in DA mode. This was 20 years ago, and it still going strong.
My last Taurus is a rifle a model 62LAR 22LR levergun purchased back in 2005. Only thing this rifle had that bugged me was a rattley lever which was an easy fix with a couple small brass washers, and that safety switch on top that bugged me especially since it also had a halfcock. A Nate Kiowa Jones safety plug made for the 92 Winchester fit with a few modifications. I added the very economical but nice quality Taurus tang sight on it and it has been a reliable and accurate friend ever since. I wish I knew why Taurus discontinued this rifle as it was quite popular but as Buck Elliot says Taurus tends to inexplicably discontinue their most popular firearms.
I seems to me their autos have a higher incidence of quality control issues than their rifles and revolvers.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Keep in mind in class action suits, you are stuck with whatever the amount is they come up with, and it may not be anywhere near the several hundred dollars people are guessing. A shotgun barrel suit netted about what a cheap steak dinner would cost, with no tip included. Not even remotely what a barrel would cost.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Very interesting. And it could explain why I recently saw quite a few Taurus handguns on the consignment shelf at the LGS. Now it makes sense.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

never did liked them....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Most returned handgun we sold when I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse, often defective out of the box.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Paladin wrote:I have an old PT-92 never had any problems with it and the threaded barrel for the Beretta 92 works well in it. I like the safety (frame mounted 1911 style) much better than the de-cocker on the Military 92A1.
Me too; the ONLY handgun I 'tolerate' the Beretta-style safety on is my Desert Eagle, because I don't foresee having to use THAT for self-defense unless I moved to New York City or Chicago...!
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I seems to me their autos have a higher incidence of quality control issues than their rifles and revolvers.-
I think there are too many new semiauto handguns for the 'entry' market, which feature too many gimmiky 'safety' and 'convenience' features that are not real-world-tested yet.

Testing out those features on the first-time-buyer market is not a good thing.

I tell people to stick with time-tested designs, and yes, if possible, from top-end manufacturers.

Still, there is way more to go (sometimes dangerously) wrong with fancy-schmancy new designs than with the basic ones like the CZ, 1911, and 92 autos.

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The Millenium series has had issues since day 1. They've been in production for at least 14 years, they had frame cracking issues on them back around 2001-2002.

Taurus as a brand has always produced a high number of lemons, per the lifetime guarantee, I generally tell people "they need it".

While working at a major gunshop, the amount of "Taurus compared to everyone else" issues requiring returns to the factory was probably about 7 to 1.

There are some happy Taurus owners here, and they got lucky, nobody can screw up EVERY gun. But as many know, a significant percentage of people buy a gun and stick it in a drawer, perhaps shooting 100 rounds in their lifetime (one reason a ton of the old British "Bulldog" type revolvers show up in excellent condition for sale). Taurus appears to thrive on the low volume shooter market, people never shoot them enough to run into problems.

I rarely saw issues with the 92-series clones, aside from the fact you could order them in Pimptastic Gold Accents (extra for the Gothic script and (typically) Hispanic last name all over it....), I referred to them as Junior Cartel Member Specials.

The only Taurus I ever spent money on personally was a 62 carbine, even Taurus can't screw up a Browning design too much, and it shot several thousand rounds reliably and accurately, except when a less intelligent friend tried to feed it .22 Shorts on the theory they didn't REALLY mean ".22 LR only" on the barrel..
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

I had a 9mm. PT-92 stainless that shot flawlessly! Unfortunately I couldn't hit ANYTHING with it. It might have been just me, but a good friend of mine had an old Browning Hi Power in 9mm and I could hit pretty much where I aimed with it. I gave the Taris a new home while it still looked good and before I whacked it with a hammer... :lol: :lol: