Making change

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Making change

Post by Daisyman »

A bit of mirth, and a bit a sadness. I went to my local farm store, made a purchase of $4.27. I gave the nice young lady at the counter a 5.00 bill. She picked it up and I said, oh, I've got .27 change here in my pocket and laid it on the counter. That made it $5.27. She looked at me in bewilderment and said nothing, smiling, long pause. I said " that's $5.27 and you need $4.27. A pause, and she said smiling "I'm still in school". :?: I said," five minus four is"..........pause, waiting on a response, "five minus four is".......pause." "50" she says????" I say, "no, five minus four is not 50. Five minus four is ONE." "Oh.... yea," she says. Long pause. I said, "you owe me a dollar". "Oh, OK"... ! I smiled and said, "you might need less of this," (acting like I was using my cell phone)," and more of this," pointing to my head). "Uh, huh" she said, smiling. I said "you keep working on those math problems ok?" and left shaking my head. :roll:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Making change

Post by Rusty »

It's terrible to see what our educational system is turning out today. I went thru a drive thru one time after there had been a power outage. When the power came back on the computers didn't boot up right so when I went thru the line it came time to pay for my order and they said no charge. We don't know how to figure out how much it is. Just take it and go.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yep, the sickness has worked it's way down to small business'.

Many years ago, young folks prime job prospects (fast food outlets) went to a computer system for their cash registers that keeps youngsters from getting their brains all twisted up - a cashier has only to enter whatever amount the customer lays on the counter (sic), and (VOILA ! ), the computer displays whatever change the customer should get.

Whatever the computation system cost the National chain, I'm guessin' that it was cheaper than the monetary losses by confused youngsters.

Sad.......................................

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very sad... :(

30 years ago (hard for me to say that) I worked at a theater. We had a guy come in and try to run a scam on the young girl working the cash register at the concession stand. She got confused fast - just what this guy wanted. Unfortunately for him, I was close by and came over to intercede. He tried his best to run his scam on me, but fortunately, I had mastered basic math over a decade before! :D I just let him keep rambling, then corrected him. After 5 minutes he realized he wasn't going to make anything off us and stormed out. :lol:
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Most can't count back change.Better yet most youngsters won't get those jobs because they think
They are to good for that.The employers don't hire them because they screw around, then hire illegal
Aliens because they show up every day and are happy to work.How this gets fixed beats me!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

My daughter is 22 and she didn't learn how to count money in school. Instead they taught her to estimate. I tried helping her one day with estimating and kept giving the right answer but it was wrong because they wanted it to only be somewhat close.
My wife and I went through McD's once on vacation and I gave the cashier a hundred dollar bill because it was all I had on me. When he handed me the change I gave it a quick glance and it looked like it was right. After we made it to the hotel that night I pulled the wad out and counted it and the kid gave me 101 and some change back. That was with a computer telling them what my change was supposed to be. Kids just aren't taught how to use there own brains any longer at school.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

m.wun wrote:Most can't count back change.Better yet most youngsters won't get those jobs because they think
They are to good for that.The employers don't hire them because they screw around, then hire illegal
Aliens because they show up every day and are happy to work.How this gets fixed beats me!
You're right there....75% (at least) of our new hires don't show up for work (without even calling) at least once during the first two weeks.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Hmmm, that's troubling. I worked at a hardware store where we did checkout with a carbon receipt pad. Some folks used a calculator for tax, most of us didn't. Also, this wasn't that long ago.

Eric
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

And these are the folks that believe they are owed $15 an hour. :roll:
Last edited by TedH on Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

My three boys are now in their 30's. I told them each the same thing my Dad told me about showing up on time, smiling at the boss and customers, not complaining, and doing the WHOLE job every time. #2 took a little longer getting with the program but eventually he figured it out too. They never had trouble finding jobs in High School or college despite tough job markets, and never ended up working for the same money they started at. The two that went to college also found jobs right after graduating despite all the stories about no jobs for grads. Maybe because they already had resumes with work on them.

At least the little girl who couldn't make change was out there trying. Hopefully someone will coach her along and help her find her place. I worry about what my grandkids will have to deal with and wish I had the time to home school all of them.

Post by Bronco »

Used to survey for a living! One day the superintendent asked me a question and I pulled out my pencil and paper to do the math, my helper who was trying to climb the ladder , stepping on people along the way, pulled out his calculator to solve the problem. We came up with the answer about the same time, even though I had had a slight head start. He proudly says that this, pointing to the calculator, was faster. I help up my pencil and proudly said, " The batteries never go dead on this" ! :D

Always used a calculator to save time on bigger problems that I don't want to spend the time with paper and pencil.

Amazes me how the school system churns out so many people who are not equipped to live life without the helping handouts of the gubermit.

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Oklahoma has a vacational/technical school system that high schoolers may elect to attend. One of the courses is for check-out clerks. The main thing they are taught is how to COUNT BACK the customer's change so they end up with the amount tendered. When I get my change counted back I ask the clerk if they went to Vo-Tech, (now it's just called Tech). Usually it's yes.
As a college professor I knew that Vo-Tech grads were more successful in college and more of them graduated college. I like to think it's because of students having a trade so they could earn a living while in school.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bronco wrote:Amazes me how the school system churns out so many people who are not equipped to live life without the helping handouts of the gubermit.

John
Well, who's runnin' 'em? When I worked for the guvmint, I was always be advised to "...vote for this..." Why, I'd ask, all it'll do is raise my taxes... Their answer was invariably, "...we're comin' up for a raise, it don't pass, we won't get it." Maybe I was stupid, I never voted thinkin' I might get a raise outta the deal.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Griff wrote:
Bronco wrote:Amazes me how the school system churns out so many people who are not equipped to live life without the helping handouts of the gubermit.

John
Well, who's runnin' 'em? When I worked for the guvmint, I was always be advised to "...vote for this..." Why, I'd ask, all it'll do is raise my taxes... Their answer was invariably, "...we're comin' up for a raise, it don't pass, we won't get it." Maybe I was stupid, I never voted thinkin' I might get a raise outta the deal.
As a retired guvmint worker, I also had to swim upstream, or fight my way up. Quite a number of arguments over political stuff. Seems a conservative Republican didn't mesh well with their union ideals.

On an opposite side of this thread, here in local town there are two stores we frequent that the kids are sharp as tacks. One is an ACE Hardware store. Their checkers, usually young ladies, are sharp and personable. I have done the dollar+change thing and always without hesitation gotten the correct change back.

The other is In-and-Out Burger. They hire only students that have exception grades and have good citizenship marks. I can tell you that at least on 90+% of them it shows too. They are sharp, friendly and fast with the numbers. Others places around town, it's hit or miss.

It is a very sad situation. I do not blame our schools, at least not entirely. When you have a society that thinks the school is responsible for raising their kids, we cannot be too disappointed with the outcome.

We have three kids. Of them, one has his Masters degree, one is working on his Masters currently, and the third has a nursing degree. Mom finished high school and dad was a high school drop out (me) that got a GED and later went to junior college.
When you demand more from your kids, you get more.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Kids nowadays don't need to think, they a "smart-phone" that does it for them - calculate math problems, give them answers to every problem via Google. Thinking and learning is a waste of time to many youths today. Take away their smart-phones and you're taking away their brains. Jobs have become a necessary evil not something to enjoy and excel at.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I could always do simple math in my head. It's not a horrible idea to estimate the answer when you DO use a calculator....it's so easy to input the wrong numbers, or hit the wrong keys.....When I did retail, or restaurant work, we had a little chart for the tax.....Of course, 5% was pretty easy.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

And... see if they can tell time without a digital clock. :roll:
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

It just aint the kids.... Shoot...My ATM gits it wrong now & then and gives me an extra $20 :lol:
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Ben_Rumson wrote:It just aint the kids.... Shoot...My ATM gits it wrong now & then and gives me an extra $20 :lol:
I had that happen once... silly me, I went in to the lobby and tried to give it back. They didn't want it :lol:
Joe Reilly
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joe Reilly »

BlaineG wrote:..Of course, 5% was pretty easy.

The "good 'ol days", 5% I remember that. :lol:
NRA Benefactor Member

My mind is like a steel trap,
rusty and illegal in 37 states.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

It ain't just math. Not much stress on typing skills.

What do they teach in "vacational" school? lol
Last edited by 2571 on Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

Ben_Rumson wrote:It just aint the kids.... Shoot...My ATM gits it wrong now & then and gives me an extra $20 :lol:
Would you be givin' out the location of that ATM to your friends here???
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Another one: I went to the Post Office the other day to get some money orders. (yea, I know, kinda old school). It came out to just under $100. I already had a bunch of change in my pocket, so I gave the teller enough change so I'd get a dollar back. She entered it into her computer as $100 and say, 69 cents. (I can't remember just how much it was.) She looked at her computer and it had no idea what to do with it. She tried again, no luck. I finally said, "never mind" and picked up my change. She rang it through as $100, and bingo, it went right through!!! Gave me the change due I didn't really want. I told her is must have been programed by a twenty something, she agreed and I went on my way, again shaking my head. :roll:
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

AJMD429 wrote:
m.wun wrote:Most can't count back change.Better yet most youngsters won't get those jobs because they think
You're right there....75% (at least) of our new hires don't show up for work (without even calling) at least once during the first two weeks.
I just talked to my neighbor lady this evening. A kid that's married to her granddaughter and has three kids, FINALLY got a job helping lay tile. (his friend actually got him the job.) The first morning he was supposed to go to work, he overslept and never went in.
I'm having a hard time grumping about Latino's, they always come to work, work hard, and are grateful to do it. These wussey kids nowdays don't know HOW to work, thanks to doting parents, and a guvmint that won't let them do anything for fear something might happen to them. How did we ever make it through our youth???? :cry: