Cowboys & Leverguns & Sixguns... It's "Silverado!"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Cowboys & Leverguns & Sixguns... It's "Silverado!"

Post by Old No7 »

OK, I admit it...
After my last posting about -- um, let's see, it was on "Dremel Tools" -- I was feeling the need for speed! With cowboys, leverguns and sixguns included!

Some will argue there are much better westerns, but overall I do like the story (yeah, it's a little corny at times), the cinematography and scenery are top notch, the ensemble cast is a good mix, and the score is superb. And yes, there is some excellent gun twirling and shoot outs too!!! Leverguns included!!!

But now I'm wanting for an engraved brass Henry rifle..........
Henry.jpg
That could be an EXPEN$IVE DVD that I just watched!!! :wink:

Oh well, betta getta job first...

Tight groups.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Cowboys & Leverguns & Sixguns... It's "Silverado!"

Post by Griff »

One of my favorites also!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Same here. From the opening scene, I knew I'd enjoy it! :D Probably seen it a dozen times! :D :D :D
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I like "Silverado."

Just needed to say that.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

For some Real lever gun fun, get a copy of the original 1860 Henry rifle, not one of the "modern" incarnations ...
IMHO, the 'new' (spurious) "Henry" rifles are more akin to a boat anchor than to the original Henry..

But.. Not my circus.. not my monkey...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Buck Elliott wrote:For some Real lever gun fun, get a copy of the original 1860 Henry rifle, not one of the "modern" incarnations ...
IMHO, the 'new' (spurious) "Henry" rifles are more akin to a boat anchor than to the original Henry..

But.. Not my circus.. not my monkey...
+1. I have one in 45Colt, maybe not the best choice of calibers, but since I have 5 other rifles in that caliber, it makes a sort of twisted sense. :twisted: It's a sweet combination when used with my 1851 Colts!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

You got it Griff...!
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Silverado is a fun and entertaining flick, with an interesting - and mostly competent - cast..
Scott Glen, however, shows all the fluid grace of a gut-shot stick puppet. Watching him is almost painful..

The Grand Old Man, Arvo Ojala was the gun coach and armorer, and did a great job with the crew, except for Glen, who always looked like he surprised himself every time he fired off a round.. I'll bet he has a terrible flinch..
Regards

Buck

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I like the movie Silverado too but whatever movie I watch I always get a hankering for one or more firearms featured in the story. :evil:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I saw Silverado the first time on the big screen. I haven't seen the whole movie since. I think I'll have to buy it on DVD.

I thought it was interesting and fun to watch. Seeing Kevin Costner as a youngster is a hoot now.

However if I were have my wish, the 1860 Henry replica I'd get is the one Tom Sellack used in "Last Stand at Saber River". That one was engraved and held so many rounds he used it through the whole movie without reloading it. :roll: :lol:

As for the caliber I'm with Griff. I have so much 45 Colt ammo why bother with anything else.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Historically speaking (cinema-wise) the best thing about Silverado was it was the first large budget western movie after a long dry spell in the genre'. It had been nearly a decade since Josey Wales and, I believe it came out just before Pale Rider. It taught hollywood (for a short while) that there were still folks that would pay to see a somewhat reasonably well made western.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

FWiedner wrote:I like "Silverado."

Just needed to say that.

:mrgreen:
Ditto. One of my all time favorites. Best line from the movie...

Mal Johnson: " Now, I don't wanna kill you, and you don't wanna be dead. "
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I always liked Silverado. Watching "The Wild Bunch" now.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Leverluver wrote:Historically speaking (cinema-wise) the best thing about Silverado was it was the first large budget western movie after a long dry spell in the genre'. It had been nearly a decade since Josey Wales and, I believe it came out just before Pale Rider. It taught hollywood (for a short while) that there were still folks that would pay to see a somewhat reasonably well made western.
Interesting side note, Leverluver.

Yup - great movie; one of the best.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Silverado is one of those good, maybe not great but good, fun movies. The opening scene is just pure gold.

So saying, Lawrence Kasdan, one of the writers drug out each and every western stereotype he could find. I can just imagine him writing it all down on 3"x5" cards (remember those, guys?) and sticking them up on the wall, re-arranging them, twisting some of them around. Even the music seems lifted from John Wayne's "The Train Robbers".

Now admit it, John Cleese as the sheriff is genius, right?

And the white and black thing was well done (mostly) without hitting people over the head.

Wife and I first saw it a Moody AFB, Valdosta GA when going to the on-base theater was about all we could afford. And the biggest excitement there was when the MWR folks were able to pony up for a new popcorn machine. We would buy what was essentially the size of half-height grocery bag for couple of bucks, what we didn't eat there we snacked on rest of the week.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

wecsoger wrote:...So saying, Lawrence Kasdan, one of the writers drug out each and every western stereotype he could find...
Mebbe so.

Then again, some would say that nothing is new, but all is rehashed from Shakespeare!

The eye of the beholder... For me, worth watching several times.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

A 16" Rossi 92 and 5 1/2" old Vaquero, both in 45 Colt of course.

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote:I like the movie Silverado too but whatever movie I watch I always get a hankering for one or more firearms featured in the story. :evil:
That's the best part! :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If you don't have Silverado on DVD, and don't wanna pay for it, I just found it on You-Tube for free.
{ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B9cf3mSmGQ }

Gonna watch it later today.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

wecsoger wrote:Silverado is one of those good, maybe not great but good, fun movies. The opening scene is just pure gold.

So saying, Lawrence Kasdan, one of the writers drug out each and every western stereotype he could find. I can just imagine him writing it all down on 3"x5" cards (remember those, guys?) and sticking them up on the wall, re-arranging them, twisting some of them around. Even the music seems lifted from John Wayne's "The Train Robbers".

Now admit it, John Cleese as the sheriff is genius, right?

And the white and black thing was well done (mostly) without hitting people over the head.

Wife and I first saw it a Moody AFB, Valdosta GA when going to the on-base theater was about all we could afford. And the biggest excitement there was when the MWR folks were able to pony up for a new popcorn machine. We would buy what was essentially the size of half-height grocery bag for couple of bucks, what we didn't eat there we snacked on rest of the week.
I hated going to the theatre on base.

The monkeys never stopped hootin'.

:x
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.