A Tail of two P-40s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

A Tail of two P-40s

Post by Rusty »

This link was sent to me by a friend.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/zS8HWFWaqa4
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: A Tail of two P-40s

Post by Griff »

Did not know that.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
boolitshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by boolitshooter »

WOW!!!!!
Men of steel
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

One of the true meaning of ballz....No, it would be BALLZ! 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Joe Reilly
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joe Reilly »

A few more like that and the war would have been over before it started.
NRA Benefactor Member

My mind is like a steel trap,
rusty and illegal in 37 states.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
That was well spent time. Years ago read "Day of Infamy" which describes the good job those two fighter pilots accomplished. Had those fighters not been dispersed to the small airfield none would have made it into the air. The japs pulled off a well planned attack but fortunately over looked the fuel tanks and dry docks.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The other side had men like that as well. Do a Google search on a German named Pips People.

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

They recreated their action in "Tora Tora Tora" even the convertible they drove, and now I know why having the actual pilot as an adviser on set.

That airfield in Haleiwa is still their though the runway is totally overgrown with weeds. The locals call it "Police Beach" because that section of coastline is closed to the general public but is used as a private recreation area for the Honolulu Police Department. I have friends in HPD so have had the privilege on camping on that beach. One evening I was diving for lobsters off the old runway and in about 20 feet of water came upon a intact 3 bladed propeller that I am sure came from a P-40. It was huge and I considered getting a couple guys and walking it to shore as keeping it as a souvenir. I was 16 at the time, and I'm glad I decided to leave it there letting it rest peacefully as a reminder to others who may have no idea what purpose that shoreline once served.

I also found a fuselage of a P-47 Thunderbolt with wings still attached in about 10 feet of water off the runway Bellows Army Airfield while diving for fish, even sat in the plane the bubble canopy long since gone. I was about 16 at the time too. Told my dad about it, and we went back to look for it but I could not relocate that crash sight to my dad's disappointment.

Police Beach (Haleiwa Airfield) today
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

My grandfather was at Schofield Barracks when the attack happened. He might have seen those planes in the air.

I remember first reading about these two pilots in a magazine article in the 1970's that told their true story. It had been illustrated with stills from the movie Tora Tora Tora. I havn't seen that article since 1979 at least and it's funny how well I remember it, even that the car was brand new and one of the pilots had just bought it, and what some of the pictures looked like.

The article mentioned another pilot who took off but had no ammunition. (Unless he has been confabulated out of one of these two pilots into three in my memory)

Just out of interest, when that movie Tora Tora Tora came out in 1970's and being watched in the theatres, Lt Onoda still was fighting WW2 in the Phillipines, and had another four years of service to the Emporer to go...
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Among it's many accomplishments, the P-40 was the first American aircraft to score victories in WWII. It is the only type of aircraft that was used by all of the allied nations. That the pilots were able to survive a brush with Zeros that could out climb and out turn them was quite a feat of flying.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richardx »

Thank all the WW2 vets you can, now, because they are going to their rewards fast.

There were not flying models of the Japanese aircraft when the production work started for Tora Tora Tora, so a company outside of Memphis produced flying mock ups of Zero's and Val's out of surplus Texans and Hartfords, it became the norm on sunny weekends to see flights of "Jap" torpedo bombers flying over the Mid-South in 1969.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A fascinating tail of heroism against overwhelming odds.... 8)
As for Pips Priller, he too was a brave and skillful pilot, pity he was on the wrong side.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Yes I did Rock. Sorry about the autocorrect. He and his wingman took off to meet the whole D-Day invasion force all by themselves.