What happened to the 257 Roberts and 25-35?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

What happened to the 257 Roberts and 25-35?

Post by JNG »

I have a bug! I would love to get one or the other. A few years ago Winchester brought out the 25-35, but at that time I was paying for college for the kids. (rats) Just read in a gun mag. about the 25-30, but to be honest I would want to play with the Bob. Of course, I'd love to win the Lotto, but they make you buy a ticket. Oh well, my Glenfield will keep me busy for the winter.

Joe
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: What happened to the 257 Roberts and 25-35?

Post by Blaine »

A guy at my old job had a .257 Roberts....he shot it a few times a year. Three times to see if the sights were still "on", and once or twice to get his nice blacktail every year.....This is the guy that could find deer in his front door closet. :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The .257 Roberts is an excellent cartridge that has a cult following but it has much competition. The
.243 Win. .244 (aka 6mm Remington) and several others. Had it been made a commercial loading earlier it would have been much more popular than it is today.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I had a chance once to buy a BLR in 257 Roberts, didn't need it at the time, regret that.
Going antelope hunting in a week or so, would have been the gun of choice.
I have a Sako Forester .243, so wasn't in the market at the time.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I really like the 25-35 & all in a Lever gun, does a great job on Antelope & Deer!!

ollogger
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Could never understand why 257 Roberts was not popular over here, it would be perfect in Britain.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Vintage gun writer, Francis Sell, was partial to the .25 Tomcat in his Marlin 336 - IIRC, a wildcat .25-35, aka: A Middle Ground Deer Rifle.

Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Ive had several .25-35s over the years and still have two, but they were all single shots. In a strong single shot the cartridge is entirely capable of taking deer at reasonable ranges: 1) it's accurate, 2) it has minimal recoil, and 3) in a strong single shot you can load modern pointed bullets and boost the pressure up to get reasonable deer ballistics and bullet expansion.

My present ones are a rebarrelled BSA Martini and a Win Hiwall, but I once had a Krag Sedgeley restocked and rebarrelled to a single shot .25-35, probably the best of the lot. Went for a house payment during one of our periodic "recessions"....like a lot of other nice guns over the years.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I always wanted a .257 in a Remington 722 or Winchester feather weight. Never had the money when I came across one though. I really have no use for it because all my shots are 100 yards or less where I hunt. But if I do find one with cash in my pocket I'll probably get one. The 25-35 doesn't sound like anything I would want but may change my mind if I ever shot one.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

My wife shot a Remington 722 in .257 Roberts for many years back when we were young enough to hunt. A HERD of deer and pronghorns fell to that rifle, only once did she have to fire a second shot. IMHO, a great cartridge in a great rifle, I don't know what the modern cartridges have that would have made these critters any more dead. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Winchester Featherweight, 100 gr. Sierra Pro Hunter, 39.0 gr. 4064 - 3,000 fps. for whatever that is good for. I think the .243 did it in. I have a Rem Mountain Rifle that will about equal that and a Ruger 6mm that will easily surpass it. All about the same.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

What happened to the 257 Roberts and 25-35? They are alive and well in my house! :wink:
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I don't think the .257 Roberts is dead and gone or done in at all. Checking on Gunbroker , they seem to command a premium price. I think a run of Remington 700's would sell out quickly as would Winchester m-70's, maybe others.

In the very early days of benchrest centerfire and varminters, the 25-35 was a popular cartridge in various single-shot target-style rifles of the day, and some very fine shooting was done with them. Might be fun to tinker with such again.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I was into the 25s for many years and had a 250 Savage, model 99 that killed a bunch of whitetails. Went to the 25-06 for more range but traded that for a chain saw when it got cold and I needed to cut wood. Still have my 94 Winchester SRC in 25-35 and will probably die with it. Most if kids and grandkids have killed at least their first deer with it. Still shoots VERY good.
I really like the Roberts but just never owned one. Didn't Ruger chamber some rifles for it in the last 10 years or so?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

M. M. Wright wrote: . Didn't Ruger chamber some rifles for it in the last 10 years or so?
I had one but it was way longer ago than that, I'm thinking 20-25 years ago. Nicest little bolt gun you would ever want to see. Total junk, couldn't hit a hat with it at 100 yards. Despite rebedding, barrel crowning, etc etc, and trying every combination of bullet and powder known to the mind of man, it never got any better, a 4" group was a good day. :roll: Got rid of it and have never missed it. I blame it on the rifle, not the cartridge. I had a similar Ruger in .22 Hornet, same story, as well as my friend having an identical experience with an identical rifle. I finally fixed the problem by not buying any more Ruger rifles. :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Rugers, I have a 30-06, couple 270s, a 7x57 and a 6mm. All shoot an inch or better at 100. They can be quite variable in their accuracy and their triggers. The 7x57 needed to be bedded before it produced any good accuracy.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

.257 Roberts is alive and well over here at my place, although I only ever met one other guy in NZ who has one.
When I visited a friend in Arkansas the other year I used a Mauser in .257 Rob to shoot my first ever whitetail buck, and caught an interest in the cartridge.
There are no factory rifles brought in this caliber over here, so its a custom rifle situation, here is my one built on a VZ33 Mauser action, fitted with a Satterly safety, aftermarket trigger, with a very nice English walnut stock, and a Walther barrel. It's such a pretty rifle it's actually hard to photograph it so it comes across. Shoots as well as it looks too....those groups are 120 grain Hornady HP's and 117 grain Sierra SP's, at 2810fps and 2840fps. Which will take care of any business I can drum up with a .257 I would think...
(That's with a fixed 4x power scope at 100 metres. Think what the rifle might do if I could see the target :D )

A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

jnyork wrote:
M. M. Wright wrote: . Didn't Ruger chamber some rifles for it in the last 10 years or so?
I had one but it was way longer ago than that, I'm thinking 20-25 years ago. Nicest little bolt gun you would ever want to see. Total junk, couldn't hit a hat with it at 100 yards. Despite rebedding, barrel crowning, etc etc, and trying every combination of bullet and powder known to the mind of man, it never got any better, a 4" group was a good day. :roll: Got rid of it and have never missed it. I blame it on the rifle, not the cartridge. I had a similar Ruger in .22 Hornet, same story, as well as my friend having an identical experience with an identical rifle. I finally fixed the problem by not buying any more Ruger rifles. :wink:
Ruger offered their M77 UL ( ultra light , 20" barrel, etc. ) in 257 Roberts for some time. Always wanted one, but never got around to it.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good lookin' rifle Carlsen... awful good groups also!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Pete44ru: My brand spankin' new .25-35 Tomcat reamer and a first-year 336 are up at John Taylor Machine as we speak, awaiting a new barrel.
That reamer will be available for borrowing when I get it back.

8)
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

TraderVic wrote:
jnyork wrote:
Ruger offered their M77 UL ( ultra light , 20" barrel, etc. ) in 257 Roberts for some time. Always wanted one, but never got around to it.
I believe that's what I had.

You didn't miss a thing. :lol:
natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

As of now,I'm down to owning only one of each of the above, and the 257 R. is an early 1960s Rem.760...Plenty of wear showing externally but still a fine shooting hunting rifle...Sold my Sav.99 25/35 ,26 " full octagon barrel a few weeks ago,as it came to be too unwieldy for a guy my age to carry thru the tree/brushs at the elevation we are mostly hunting these days...Not much of a "looker"but it still kept the 117 Hornady point forward as far as I ever shot it.. Like will let my 1906 edition Win 94 walk away in the near future,as it's another 26" full Octagon barrel, a lot to lug around for that cartridge. Nate
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

I've got a Remington 722 dad bought in Hawaii in 1957. It still looks brand new. When it goes out to the range with its bigger brothers I shoot it last...cause it feels like I'm shooting a pellet gun then...lol, love that little rifle!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A gunsmith here in California who is also a .250 fan told me that Ruger got a bad batch of .25 caliber barrels at some point.

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Old Savage wrote:A gunsmith here in California who is also a .250 fan told me that Ruger got a bad batch of .25 caliber barrels at some point.
I'm guessing they still stuck them on rifles and sold them though. God forbid should they look down the hole every once in a while.

Sorry, I just get pessimistic about the big manufacturers.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had a 257 Bob and a 250 Savage in the old tang safety Ruger 77R both shot well enough with factory ammo for deer . Later in life I picked up a nice old Ruger #1B in 257 Bob and it also shot very well . But for a 25 cal in a bolt gun or a single shot I prefer the 25-06 which might explain why at the moment I have a 25-06 and neither of the other two . As to the 25-35 never had one in a lever action I did however have a very nice Marlin 1893 in 25-36 Marlin and I liked it well enough . Only actual 25-35 I've ever had was and is a little German single shot someone brought back after WWII things actually marked 6.5x52R and it shoots factory very nicely with a period correct German 6x scope .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

2 excellent cartridges that didn't have enough horsepower to survive in the modern advertising world of "New and Improved" and Bigger is Better". :cry:
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
Old Savage wrote:A gunsmith here in California who is also a .250 fan told me that Ruger got a bad batch of .25 caliber barrels at some point.
I'm guessing they still stuck them on rifles and sold them though. God forbid should they look down the hole every once in a while.

Sorry, I just get pessimistic about the big manufacturers.
A cousin of mine still hunts with a Ruger 77 257 Roberts he bought years ago. It never would shoot anything under 2" at 100 yards, but he's too hard headed to admit that's it doesn't shoot "one hole all day long".

I have an old book by Clay Harvey on rifle cartridges. In it, he says he had never found an accurate 257 Roberts. Of course that's just one man's opinion, but it always makes the Roberts fans mad when I mention it :)
Last edited by JB on Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Roberts was originally throated for the 117 gr round nose. That made it problematical for other weights in some rifles. I had a Win Featherweight 70 that was very accurate. Bob Boggs who was the gunsmith mentioned told me they paid as little as $10 per on one run of the questionable barrels but the problem did not apply across the board to all Rugers .25s.

gordylew
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gordylew »

I've never had a 25-35 but if one just happen to cross my path I would. I recently picked up a sweet 1956 Mannlicher Schoenuer full stock carbine in .257 Roberts. It was the first of it's kind I had ever seen. I still have not had a chance to check on accuracy. The rifle is so pretty I'm almost scared to find out if it will keep all it's round in under an inch at 100 yards. I once owned a Ruger 77R tang safety in 6mm that was also a sweet rifle. Unfortunately I could never get it to shoot under 3" at 100 so off to the auctions it went.