Skunked

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Skunked

Post by jkbrea »

A couple nights ago my wife and I awoke at about 2am to a horrible smell and a whiney dog. I never thought skunks smelled that bad when driving near a dead one, but up close, :shock: :shock: :shock: . My shepherd mix and austrailian shepherd went out the doggie door and the shepherd mix got sprayed. I've never even seen a skunk in the 15 year I've lived here. Just rabbits and squirrels. I had no idea what to do. Got on the internet and looked up remedies. About 95% of the answers said to use a mixture of 1 quart of hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda, and 2 teaspoons of liquid dish soap. So....off to an allnight pharmacy and washing the dog at 4am on the lawn. It really worked great on the first wash. At least Cal weather is nice at night. The house wasn't too bad after opening up all the windows and turning on several fans.

I bought a trap and set it up last night. No luck so far. I'm using a can of tuna for bait, and yes, I opened it first. Wish me luck! I'd appreciate any advice on what bait to use.
Oh, and to make this more on topic, I will be using my son's Henry Golden Boy .22, purchased from a forum nember no less, to assist in this endeavor.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Skunked

Post by 2ndovc »

My Dad has caught several with a can of tuna. He throws a heavy tarp over the trap for about an hour and then
takes them to a large open area not far from where he lives and turns them loose by tipping the cage on it's side slowly.
They just wander off. He just doesn't want to kill anything these days.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

For the house, try a lot of that carpet deodorizing powder, I think Arm & Hammer is one brand.
Put it on the dog too! :shock:
Good luck,
Mark :idea:
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have never had to use it but I am told a bath in Tomato juice will remove most of the odor from those little striped kitty's.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Trapped skunks off of peoples lawns for years with my dad.

We used a home-made trap that was enclosed. We always used dry cat food with good luck but had a few angry cats now and then. :D

Throw a tarp over the trap when you set it out. Do NOT deal with it at night if you catch him. Wait till daylight as they get more docile being nocturnal.
However, if the offender is a small, young one, all bets are off. :| They can be unpredictable.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I would pre-attach a LONG rope to the trap, in case the animal sprays upon the trap springing, or especially if it is a live-trap...!

I didn't want to shoot the one I trapped a couple years ago up by the house, so I pulled the trap a few hundred yards away first. Fortunately it barely sprayed after a head-shot.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

Small marshmallows are excellent bait and cats don't usually end up in the trap.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Thanks for te advice. I guess I won't shoot it....if I catch it. Animal control said to turn it loose at least 5 miles away to ensure it doesn't return. I didn't know there was so much money in trapping small animals. A private service said $300 to take care of it or $5 a day for a trap and a mandatory $90 to come pick it up afterwards. Heck, they probably released it in my neighborhood after removing it from somewhere else :lol: .
AJMD429....Thanks for the advice about the rope. I will do that.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I searched online and then built a trap out of plywood, using a mouse trap to spring the sliding door. There is a 2" diameter viewing hole in the closed end, and a hole in the top just big enough to accept a vacuum cleaner hose. Dry cat food makes excellent bait that does not spoil. If the trap is tripped, I confirm what I have. Cats, raccoons, and possums go free. If it's a skunk, I pick up the trap (no spray because they can't see anything) and place it near the rear of my vehicle. I connect a vacuum cleaner hose from the car exhaust pipe to the hole in the top of the trap, then run the car about 15 minutes. The skunk usually goes to sleep in less than a minute, but I give it plenty of time to have the desired result. The only time I have problems is if I try to shoot them rather than gas them.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
TDF
Levergunner

Post by TDF »

Back when I was kid, like 30 years ago, we used to have good luck trapping them with alfalfa pellets, and by good luck I mean bad luck, as we were trying to catch rabbits.

Have a 12 year old boxer mix who's been sprayed 7 or 8 times. The hydrogen peroxide baking soda mix really works.

TDF
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I thought you are suppose to drink that concoction, not waste it washing a dog with it. A drink of that and you will forget about smelling anything.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

a syringe on a pole with acetone is the traditional way trappers have liked them without causing them to spray. It kills them really quick, but I still don't care for the method too much.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have always been told that if you shoot them in the head they won't spray. Wrong! I had one in my shop a few years ago and shot it in the head with a 38 Special. Took 2 or 3 years for all the smell to go away to my nose but my Walker coon hound still smells the spot where the skunk died.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

The only times I ever see skunks is when they are dead on the road. I need to get out more.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

My birddog, a French Brittany, is getting better about skunks. He pointed two a couple of days ago and decided he did not have to tangle with either. Guess he's getting wise to their ways and it only took 5 or 6 "bad" experiences over the years . I once had a German shorthair that tried to kill 2 porcupines on the same day--Germans can be hard-headed! :roll: :roll:
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

jkbrea wrote:A couple nights ago my wife and I awoke at about 2am to a horrible smell and a whiney dog. I never thought skunks smelled that bad when driving near a dead one, but up close, :shock: :shock: :shock: . My shepherd mix and austrailian shepherd went out the doggie door and the shepherd mix got sprayed. I've never even seen a skunk in the 15 year I've lived here. Just rabbits and squirrels. I had no idea what to do. Got on the internet and looked up remedies. About 95% of the answers said to use a mixture of 1 quart of hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda, and 2 teaspoons of liquid dish soap. So....off to an allnight pharmacy and washing the dog at 4am on the lawn. It really worked great on the first wash. At least Cal weather is nice at night. The house wasn't too bad after opening up all the windows and turning on several fans.

I bought a trap and set it up last night. No luck so far. I'm using a can of tuna for bait, and yes, I opened it first. Wish me luck! I'd appreciate any advice on what bait to use.
Oh, and to make this more on topic, I will be using my son's Henry Golden Boy .22, purchased from a forum nember no less, to assist in this endeavor.
The first rule in dealing with any skunk is stay up wind.

Tuna will work but in your climate the tuna that is packed in oil will work the longest, the water packed will dry out to fast and jerk.
Sardines in oil is better, you probably don't have any handy but a rotten egg is the number one skunk bait.

Chances are good the skunk won't be back any time soon.

------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!