Anybody Have To Use A CPAP Machine?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Anybody Have To Use A CPAP Machine?

Post by SteveR »

I have just been diagnosed with very serious sleep apnea, and I have to get one of the CPAP machines. Do they work? Does it help with getting a refreshing sleep? Do you have to use O2 also with the machine?

TIA,
Steve
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Anybody Have To Use A CPAP Machine?

Post by Old Ironsights »

#1. they work.
#2. they suck (or rather... blow)
#3. they do NOT require O2 supplement, though some models allow it.

I would never, ever, be able to use a CPAP. My sleep style is reminiscent of a labrador getting ready to lay down.

Rolling and rolling and rolling...

The problem(s) that cause sleep apnea are myriad, but the #1 with a boatload of bullets is...

Back sleeping.

If you can get yourself to sleep on your side or prone, then 85%+ of sleep apnea issues (and snoring) will simply vanish.

Sleeping on your back with a bunch of hoses and other infernal instruments will make your back-sleeping more restful... but having your head strapped down with a load of Kevorkian Tubes is not my idea of "good sleep".

You need to change your sleep style.

A quick tip... tell the wifey that spooning is now a medical necessity. If you can sleep and spoon, all your troubles will likely vanish... and other openings may present themselves. :wink:

But, seriously, get off your back. Wear a sleep shirt with an annoying pebble sewn into the back between your shoulder blades. Airway occlusion simply DOES NOT HAPPEN when sleeping on one's side. Heck, just look at the EMT "rescue/recovery" position (lateral recumbent/three-quarters prone) that we are supposed to put (non-spinal) people in. You can be in that position and puke out your guts - and not aspirate. It is the optimal position for breathing whilst lying down.

Think about it... and get back to Spooning... :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Old Ironsights wrote:#1. they work.
#2. they suck (or rather... blow)
#3. they do NOT require O2 supplement, though some models allow it.

I would never, ever, be able to use a CPAP. My sleep style is reminiscent of a labrador getting ready to lay down.

Rolling and rolling and rolling...

The problem(s) that cause sleep apnea are myriad, but the #1 with a boatload of bullets is...

Back sleeping.

If you can get yourself to sleep on your side or prone, then 85%+ of sleep apnea issues (and snoring) will simply vanish.

Sleeping on your back with a bunch of hoses and other infernal instruments will make your back-sleeping more restful... but having your head strapped down with a load of Kevorkian Tubes is not my idea of "good sleep".

You need to change your sleep style.

A quick tip... tell the wifey that spooning is now a medical necessity. If you can sleep and spoon, all your troubles will likely vanish... and other openings may present themselves. :wink:

But, seriously, get off your back. Wear a sleep shirt with an annoying pebble sewn into the back between your shoulder blades. Airway occlusion simply DOES NOT HAPPEN when sleeping on one's side. Heck, just look at the EMT "rescue/recovery" position (lateral recumbent/three-quarters prone) that we are supposed to put (non-spinal) people in. You can be in that position and puke out your guts - and not aspirate. It is the optimal position for breathing whilst lying down.

Think about it... and get back to Spooning... :twisted:
I'm a side sleeper to begin with, but the sleep study was very conclusive, I have serious obstructive sleep apnea. I just was curious if anybody had luck with theirs and if they felt better after using one.

Steve
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

SteveR wrote:...
I'm a side sleeper to begin with, but the sleep study was very conclusive, I have serious obstructive sleep apnea. I just was curious if anybody had luck with theirs and if they felt better after using one.

Steve
So... did they talk about how you end up on your back, even though you start out on your side? I've been party to a bunch of sleep studies (as a victim and as a student researcher) and the odds of having apnea for a primary-side sleeper are nearly nil. It is almost biologically impossible to occlude the airway in a lateral-prone position...

(Note: please understaand that I am not making light of a serious issue... just pointing out, in a hopefully humorous way, that presents a non-"buy this device" way of looking at the issue...)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

I'm a side sleeper with sleep apnea and have been using a CPAP machine for the past 5 or 6 years. When I had my sleep test they found I'd stopped breathing something like 30 or 40 times; I forget the exact number. It does take a bit of time to get used to wearing a CPAP mask, but it's really not a big deal--certainly a lot less of a big deal than dying in your sleep from stoppage of breathing. After using the device for awhile, I found that sleeping without the machine was not comfortable. I sleep much better with it, roll around freely if I want, find it easier to breathe thru my nose and am very comfortable using it. And I also find the idea that side sleepers don't get sleep apnea ridiculous, since I am and I did. Maybe a statistical study would support the concept, I dunno. But statistics only apply to populations, not individuals.

My advice is don't be a darn fool. If you need a CPAP get one. Don't let anybody talk you out of it.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Not trying to "talk anyone out of it" as much as "Think about it".

My post stands.

#1 They Work. Absolutely.
#2 They Blow
#3 Supplemental O2 is product dependent.

If you have no other option, then go for it. They Work.

If you can change habits to fix the problem in a way that is not dependent on someone else making sure you can keep breathing when you sleep... Duh.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I was on my way to (feeling like) dying...Couldn't stay awake, almost got fired at work, and couldn't drive more than a little bit without nodding off, or wanting to nod off. Had to fight it all the time. They actually suggested that the apnea could have been the cause of my diabetes. Got the CPAP, in a couple days, I felt better. I don't like sleeping without it. Changed my life for the better.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I was diagnosed with very severe sleep apnea about 20 years ago. My V.A. physician did not believe the results of the first test and ordered another to confirm the results.

My machine does not use water. I started out wearing a face mask and still do. After the first night, I could believe how much better I felt. I change filters every 30 days and the order a new mask every 6 months. Other than that there is no maintenance on the machine. My last CPAP had over 22,0000 hours on it before it needed replacement.

Had no trouble adjusting to the mask as I made up my mind that I needed to do or run the risk of death, another heart attack, or a stroke. It took maybe one or two nights to become comfortable wearing it and get the mask adjustments right. Now it is second nature to me. I still am a “restless sleeper” – constantly turning from back to side. But I am now sleeping well and very easily fall into the deep dream sleep.

Know of numerous others diagnosed with sleep apnea. Of those who had or have, or still have trouble adjusting themselves to the CPAP, mask, etc., 95% of them knew that they would have problems adjusting themselves to the CPAP before they started using it.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ray Newman wrote:I was diagnosed with very severe sleep apnea about 20 years ago. My V.A. physician did not believe the results of the first test and ordered another to confirm the results.

My machine does not use water. I started out wearing a face mask and still do. After the first night, I could believe how much better I felt. I change filters every 30 days and the order a new mask every 6 months. Other than that there is no maintenance on the machine. My last CPAP had over 22,0000 hours on it before it needed replacement.

Had no trouble adjusting to the mask as I made up my mind that I needed to do or run the risk of death, another heart attack, or a stroke. It took maybe one or two nights to become comfortable wearing it and get the mask adjustments right. Now it is second nature to me. I still am a “restless sleeper” – constantly turning from back to side. But I am now sleeping well and very easily fall into the deep dream sleep.

Know of numerous others diagnosed with sleep apnea. Of those who had or have, or still have trouble adjusting themselves to the CPAP, mask, etc., 95% of them knew that they would have problems adjusting themselves to the CPAP before they started using it.
I've found that annoying leaks are not made better by tightening the straps, but actually loosening them in varying amounts.....it might feel loose, but when the air turns on, the latex expands and seals off.....Or, you have the wrong design for your face....it took me a couple tries to get the right one....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Thanks for the replies. When I read the study results, I spent 3/4 of the study sleeping on my side, and had 55 episodes per hour. So regardless of what they want to push or not, I will still have the apnea sleeping on my side, so I will go with the machine.
I was worried about the seal and how soon I will feel better. My O2 level was as low as .55% and averaged .78%, so the Doc said I am at risk for heart attack, stroke and diabetes. I feel pretty much dead right now, so the Doctor was spot on about the cause. I wish I had the study years ago, but the Doc was pretty adamant about getting this fixed soon.

Steve
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea a few months back. My Doc suggested a CPAP machine. I researched the topic and saw that many people use an apnea mouth guard instead of a CPAP machine. My dentist was familiar with the mouth guard and made one for me. I love it. I feel so much better and sleep very sound. I roll around lots and so the mouth guard is perfect for me.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

I averaged 51 events per hour during my study, with the longest one being 40 some seconds. I don't recall what my oxygen level dropped to but it wasn't a good number. This used to scare my wife to death. Sometimes she would lay in bed staring at me...waiting for me to finally draw a breath. Neither one of us were sleeping well, and she put up with my snoring for 20+ years. It took me about 3 months to get used to the mask. (The nose clip one didn't work for me as my mouth would open during the night and when it did air would blow out of my mouth, and my lips and tongue would dry out and stick to my teeth...hahahahaha) Once I got used to the mask, I found a power supply for my ResMed S9 that would hook to a 12V battery so that I can still go camping and hunting. I decided to finally go on that diet to be in better shape for hunting season, and have dropped over 30lbs since April which will also help with this. I'm used to it now and feel better, and the wife has never slept better. A very good high school friend passed away a couple years ago from sleep apnea, he had just been diagnosed and was looking into a CPAP when he passed away.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

While I believe there are those that are served by these "studies"... the fact that they're crusaded for by those that make the machines, or conduct the tests... make me VERY leery of their "diagnoses". It's much like "insurance"... sell me a policy on the basis that I'm going to get sick and therefore need it... sell me a policy that sez I'm going to wreck my car... They're gambling that I'll be healthy or not wreck my car for more than it'll cost to fix me or it. Bassakwards if you ask me. I'm gambling against myself. It behooves those that are selling these services that you diagnose with the condition that requires their service. Okay, I'm lumpin' in with all snake-oil-salesmen and charlatans... so be it.

I snore, and sometimes wake before I've had 8 hours sleep. Heck, sometimes I wake up after just a couple of hours... sometimes I can get up, eat breakfast, and then crawl right back into bed and go to sleep... sometimes I'm still up and going 30 or more hours after my last rest... othertimes, I can't go 20 minutes without feeling pooped. Doesn't that describe 99% of men over 50? What? We all need a CPAP machine?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DadsMod12 »

I've used a CPAP for the last 6 years. During my test I didn't stop breathing, my breathing slowed down so much that my oxygen level dropped to around 90. It took me a week to get used to the mask. I run the hose under my pillow and it comes out above my head so I can sleep on either side or on my back. I now get to sleep faster, sleep sounder, and wake up feeling rested.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've been on a CPAP for about 15 years. I can't hardly sleep without it. I used the same machine until last year when my DOT physical required that I have a printout showing usage.

A friend of mine was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and his wife didn't think she could sleep while he used the machine so he had corrective surgery. The surgery didn't work, he now often chokes on food and drink and still has to use the CPAP.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

draperjojo wrote:I averaged 51 events per hour during my study, with the longest one being 40 some seconds. I don't recall what my oxygen level dropped to but it wasn't a good number. This used to scare my wife to death. Sometimes she would lay in bed staring at me...waiting for me to finally draw a breath. Neither one of us were sleeping well, and she put up with my snoring for 20+ years. It took me about 3 months to get used to the mask. (The nose clip one didn't work for me as my mouth would open during the night and when it did air would blow out of my mouth, and my lips and tongue would dry out and stick to my teeth...hahahahaha) Once I got used to the mask, I found a power supply for my ResMed S9 that would hook to a 12V battery so that I can still go camping and hunting. I decided to finally go on that diet to be in better shape for hunting season, and have dropped over 30lbs since April which will also help with this. I'm used to it now and feel better, and the wife has never slept better. A very good high school friend passed away a couple years ago from sleep apnea, he had just been diagnosed and was looking into a CPAP when he passed away.
Thank you, I am told the same thing by my girl, I also hear about my snoring, not in a good way!! I will have to look into if they sell a back up battery, I lose power a lot. Sorry to hear about your friend.

Steve
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Trailboss wrote:I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea a few months back. My Doc suggested a CPAP machine. I researched the topic and saw that many people use an apnea mouth guard instead of a CPAP machine. My dentist was familiar with the mouth guard and made one for me. I love it. I feel so much better and sleep very sound. I roll around lots and so the mouth guard is perfect for me.
I will ask my Dr when I go for CPAP fitting about that. Might be a lot easier.

Steve
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Griff wrote:While I believe there are those that are served by these "studies"... the fact that they're crusaded for by those that make the machines, or conduct the tests... make me VERY leery of their "diagnoses". It's much like "insurance"... sell me a policy on the basis that I'm going to get sick and therefore need it... sell me a policy that sez I'm going to wreck my car... They're gambling that I'll be healthy or not wreck my car for more than it'll cost to fix me or it. Bassakwards if you ask me. I'm gambling against myself. It behooves those that are selling these services that you diagnose with the condition that requires their service. Okay, I'm lumpin' in with all snake-oil-salesmen and charlatans... so be it.

I snore, and sometimes wake before I've had 8 hours sleep. Heck, sometimes I wake up after just a couple of hours... sometimes I can get up, eat breakfast, and then crawl right back into bed and go to sleep... sometimes I'm still up and going 30 or more hours after my last rest... othertimes, I can't go 20 minutes without feeling pooped. Doesn't that describe 99% of men over 50? What? We all need a CPAP machine?
I have been sent to the sleep study by my Dr before he will sign off my DOT physical. Also checked with a different Dr about the Sleep Study, and yes it was confirmed that there is a ton of medical evidence out there that prove obstructive sleep apnea, causes, stroke, high blood pressure, enlarged heart, diabetes, and death. Not everyone who snores has obstructive sleep apnea, and the Sleep Study will confirm whether or not a person has it.
If a Dr can hold up DOT certification, then you better believe that there is something to it. Insurance companies don't pay for snake oil, so I have reasonable assurance that the Sleep Study is accepted medical procedure and diagnostically sound medicine.

Also my Dr pointed out, that people like me, with big necks, are more prone to obstructive sleep apnea, than others, who are just simply overweight.

I might add, my sleep is never refreshing and I never feel better after sleeping, actually sometimes worse. I do wake up in the middle of the night and read, but I don't eat and go back to bed, that is a killer on your metabolism and a good way to pack on the pounds. Not to mention a good way to get acid reflex also. Your body doesn't digest very well laying down, and leads to acid reflex.

I do think sometimes a second opinion and looking at a diagnoses and really understand if it is proven science or just a new take a pill and feel better, always good to keep n open mind.

Steve
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Rusty wrote:I've been on a CPAP for about 15 years. I can't hardly sleep without it. I used the same machine until last year when my DOT physical required that I have a printout showing usage.

A friend of mine was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and his wife didn't think she could sleep while he used the machine so he had corrective surgery. The surgery didn't work, he now often chokes on food and drink and still has to use the CPAP.
Thank you, good to know about the corrective surgery part.

Steve
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

DadsMod12 wrote:I've used a CPAP for the last 6 years. During my test I didn't stop breathing, my breathing slowed down so much that my oxygen level dropped to around 90. It took me a week to get used to the mask. I run the hose under my pillow and it comes out above my head so I can sleep on either side or on my back. I now get to sleep faster, sleep sounder, and wake up feeling rested.
Thank you, that is what I am hoping for.

Steve
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

My wife has sleep apnea and use`s the machine. Must work for her because she continues to use it. Funny thing is I had never heard of the term until she got it and now I read of it every day.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

40, 50, 60 episodes per hour? That is about the normal resting respiration rate. Is it per hour or per test series?
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

My experience pretty much parallels that of Ray Newman. I've been on the CPAP even a bit longer; I use a humidifier with mine. Have much improved rest with the CPAP and don't like to sleep without it. Prior to using the machine, I was always a "belly-flopper", now I sleep on my back. It was not at all difficult to begin using the machine for me. I'd recommend that you give it a try if your sleep study and doctor suggest that it would do you good.

Sweet dreams!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BAGTIC wrote:40, 50, 60 episodes per hour? That is about the normal resting respiration rate. Is it per hour or per test series?
Normal respiration rate per hour would be 600 to 800. (12 x 60=720)

People I know who use a CPAP all report much better rest. I'm tempted to try a sleep study but am too claustrophobic. Users I know say you get used to that mask, but I don't know..... :?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

BAGTIC wrote:40, 50, 60 episodes per hour? That is about the normal resting respiration rate. Is it per hour or per test series?
I was told I averaged 51 events/hour. I asked what an "event" was, and was told that an event was when there was over 10 seconds between exhale and inhale with my longest event being 40 some seconds. My wife would tell me that when I was going a while between breaths, I would eventually SNORT....and then take another breath.
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

I have to use a CPAP because if I don't my blood pressure skyrockets and I sweat so much everything gets soaked. I can't cool back down without taking a cold shower. Oh, and with the high BP comes splitting headaches. I don't use a full mask; a mask with nose pillows works for me.

On a side note, a year ago I was in a bad way with ulcerative colitis. I dropped from 219 lbs to 150 lbs (I'm 6'1") and my apnea was almost non existent. I've gone back up to 200 and am trying to get back to 180-185 lbs to see if that will help.

I'd like to do some camping again so I'm looking into a DC powered CPAP and a solar panel to charge the batteries. Good luck with your apnea an if you are overweight it may help to lose some.

Bob in Friday Harbor, WA
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I've been using one for 15 yrs and it WORKS! The first month was difficult in that getting used to it was a bear. I felt very chlostrophobic (spelling?) with the mask so used tubes in lieu of it which worked OK. It bridged the gap along with the help of prescription sleeping pills. After that I converted over to the mask and never looked back. I never even take a nap without it and feel like that machine saved my life!
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Thanks all for the replies. I am waiting for my appointment to be fitted. Seems like a lot goes into it all. After the sleep study with a CPAP, they then go to a medical supplier, who then come to my home and sets up the CPAP. All this will be like a month, seems is a pretty complicated process. But they seem to take the time to get it right.
Just have to make it till I get hooked up.

Steve
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

SteveR wrote:Thanks all for the replies. I am waiting for my appointment to be fitted. Seems like a lot goes into it all. After the sleep study with a CPAP, they then go to a medical supplier, who then come to my home and sets up the CPAP. All this will be like a month, seems is a pretty complicated process. But they seem to take the time to get it right.

Steve
Good luck.....it should improve quality of life. ...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

My neighbor says try several masks and several machines before you buy. Make sure you find the set up that works for you.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It's pretty much standard procedure to have someone bring it to you at the house to set it up. They did that with both of my machines, even though for the third one I pretty much knew what was going on with them by then.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

BlaineG wrote:
SteveR wrote:Thanks all for the replies. I am waiting for my appointment to be fitted. Seems like a lot goes into it all. After the sleep study with a CPAP, they then go to a medical supplier, who then come to my home and sets up the CPAP. All this will be like a month, seems is a pretty complicated process. But they seem to take the time to get it right.

Steve
Good luck.....it should improve quality of life. ...
Thanks Brother!

Steve
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

samb wrote:My neighbor says try several masks and several machines before you buy. Make sure you find the set up that works for you.
I think they do that when they bring the machine, thanks for the info, it really helps hearing what people recommend.

Steve
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Rusty wrote:It's pretty much standard procedure to have someone bring it to you at the house to set it up. They did that with both of my machines, even though for the third one I pretty much knew what was going on with them by then.
Thank you. I like to have some idea of what is happening, so thank you again for good advise.

Steve