Questions on Winchester Hi-Wall and Low-Wal guns......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Questions on Winchester Hi-Wall and Low-Wal guns......

Post by DarryH »

I have never spent any time on these guns, so I have a few questions.

Are both called Model 1885 ???

How do you tell them apart ???

What calibers were the originals made in ???

Thanks folks.

Good Shootin!!
DarryH
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Questions on Winchester Hi-Wall and Low-Wal guns......

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Both are called 1885's
On the low wall, the sides of the receiver by the breech block sweep down a bunch while on the high wall they come straight back for the length of the breech block. I suggest you Google them, the difference is obvious.
The list of calibers is a very long one. Just about any cartridge available during the time period has been chambered. Remember that Winchester had a custom shop then and John Brownings shop would also take custom orders when he was building them.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Questions on Winchester Hi-Wall and Low-Wal guns......

Post by Pete44ru »

As Chuck alluded to, "High Wall" & "Low-Wall" refers to the receiver sidewalls, and their different heights in relation to the top of the breechblock.

As you can appreciate, a High Wall can support stronger cartridges, compared to a Low-Wall.

I'll only add that the newer Miroku/Winchester/Browning High & Low Wall Model 1885 actions are nothing like (only superficially like) the original Browning & Winchester 1885's.