Boy I need a Colt...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Boy I need a Colt...

Post by Bridger »

Part of me has been feeling like a need a Colt revolver of some variant to officially be a levergunner. I'm saving my pennies right now, but there a re couple I was looking at in a pawn shop I wanted to ask yalls opinion of. The first one is a Colt Army (Possibly New Army? Not sure.) in 38 special. It's in okay shape, but has been carried quite a bit and has rust speckling on the sides. Blued, 38 Spec. with a 4 inch barrel. Asking 699.00

The second is a Police model that is almost identical minus the rust. They are asking 799.00.
It looks like this, except in somewhat better condition:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =495134171
Edit: I'm now wondering if it is a police positive or an official police?

Bottom line I'm not real familiar with the different types of Colt double actions and I'm wondering what you would do if you just wanted a full size Colt revolver but didn't have anything in particular in mind. Would you hold out for a Trooper or a Python? Seems like they are all expensive and people assume if it is a Colt it is worth a mint.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Boy I need a Colt...

Post by Malamute »

Older Colt DA's show up now and then at gunshows. I saw some partly reworked,-partly well used New Service guns a couple years ago, in 38 spl, 38 WCF (38-40) and a reworked one in 44 spl or 45 Colt. They were in the $400 to $600 range. One guy I know bought a real clean Army Special 38 spl at the same show for about $400-$500.

There was also the Troopers that were pretty plain looking back in the 40-'s to 60's in 38 and 357.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I have some colts. If you want a Python your eyes will water when you check the price. If you can find a old model Trooper or a ".357", they have the same frame and guts and are a lot less. Here is a nickle trooper I have. The "Offical Police" is close to the same as the troopers but have fixed sights. Good luck!
If you want a single action you might find the New Frontier slightly less than a regular SAA as they have adjustable sights and purists like the old fixed sight model SAA. The Police Positive is a smaller frame gun than the Official Police, troopers and Pythons.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

IIRC there was also a "LAWMAN" that was a pretty solid piece.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

A double action Colt required for levergunism? Have a talk with that part of you, just to make sure.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Sounds like an awful lot of money for one of those old double actions that aren't all that desirable anyway. About double that would get you a nice SAA third gen. My BIL had a double action Colt that was factory engraved that only brought about 500 but then it was a 41.

And you're welcome here with an Iver Johnson.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Except it you really want a Cold I don't think a SAA third gen is actually made by Colt, only thing Colt is the name stamped on it.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

While my fave DA Colt is the post-1972 .38 Detective Special for CCW,

I sorta like a .45ACP Model 1917 New Service (Colt or S&W) for plinking.

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

If you want a double action, the Officers Model Match can frequently be found below 1k-- this is the platform that launched the Python and would be a tremendous shooter

Someone mentioned the Lawman , and i have one that is in my never sell category- a simple bulletproof revolver --- a Trooper is also not that outrageous in price and is a adjustable sight Lawman

Its when you get to the snake names, Python, Anaconda, King Cobra, Boa, Diamondback, etc that the prices start climbing high
The anaconda and king cobra are just prettied up Troopers in stainless - not worth the cost as shooters

As some have said also - you can sniff a New Frontier for 1k to 1200 sometimes

And ----- i have owned examples of a lot of the Colts mentioned at one time or another- Yes, to me, shooting a Python is almost a magical experience, but nobody is going to kick you off the forum if you bring home a ddecent Model 27 or 29 N frame Smith at 1/2 the price, or a good K frame model 19 at 1/4 the price

And as a side note- i sold most of my beautiful Colt d-a's to help build my house , but i kept a couple of Smith K frames and a Lawman. I can shoot these all with impunity - the Lawman will never loosen up with factory loads and if i shoot a Smith loose, my local gunsmith can bring it back around for a c note

On the single action side, my Cimarron shoots as well as my 2nd gen Colt, and the Rugeer Vaquero's and Blackhawks are widely accepted alternatives to the Colts (some people even prefer them)
----- Doug
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

No, the Colt Single Action Army`s ARE made by Colt. I have heard they no longer do the case coloring and farm that finish out to Doug Turnbull. I have two third generations. Now they DID have as I understand, on their Black Powder reissue revolvers (cap & ball 1851 navy's and 1860 army's have a factory in Spain and/or Italy build the parts, send them here to Iver Johnson and have THEM assemble and finish them and put the colt name on them.
I once owned a cased pair of the 1860 armys with the colt name on them back in the 1980`s. What I might think about would get some clone single actions by Uberti or even others. They are almost as good at a fraction of the price. I also have a few. Below is a Uberti George S. Patton Commemerative that is silver plated and fully engraved that I bought cheap many years ago.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

David wrote:Except it you really want a Cold I don't think a SAA third gen is actually made by Colt, only thing Colt is the name stamped on it.
My early 3rd gen Colts ('70s), were made under the dome in Hartford! Some CAS folks think the late 3rd gen guns are some of the nicest Colt has ever produced... (as most have been thru the Custom Shop)...

And they're still willing to make me a custom set for my wife's 50th Anniversary present... I just can't settle on what to have engraved on the barrels... :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff wrote:
David wrote:Except it you really want a Cold I don't think a SAA third gen is actually made by Colt, only thing Colt is the name stamped on it.
My early 3rd gen Colts ('70s), were made under the dome in Hartford! Some CAS folks think the late 3rd gen guns are some of the nicest Colt has ever produced... (as most have been thru the Custom Shop)...

And they're still willing to make me a custom set for my wife's 50th Anniversary present... I just can't settle on what to have engraved on the barrels... :twisted:

....Right Side ... Left Side???? :mrgreen:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:
Griff wrote:
....Right Side ... Left Side???? :mrgreen:
Joe
Naw, I know better'n that! I was thinkin' of something like, "... guaranteeing 50 years of wedded bliss!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Joe that is funny :D
Bridger, save the money and get the Colt. The python is a dream to shoot, paying for one is also a dream, a bad dream! :shock:
Last edited by octagon on Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Booger Bill wrote:No, the Colt Single Action Army`s ARE made by Colt. I have heard they no longer do the case coloring and farm that finish out to Doug Turnbull. I have two third generations. Now they DID have as I understand, on their Black Powder reissue revolvers (cap & ball 1851 navy's and 1860 army's have a factory in Spain and/or Italy build the parts, send them here to Iver Johnson and have THEM assemble and finish them and put the colt name on them.
I once owned a cased pair of the 1860 armys with the colt name on them back in the 1980`s. What I might think about would get some clone single actions by Uberti or even others. They are almost as good at a fraction of the price. I also have a few...
There were two re-issue Colt C&Bs... the 2nd Gen and Signature series. The 2nd Gen C&Bs had parts made by Uberti & others then assembled and finished under the Dome. The Signature series were made of the same parts and then finished and assembled by Iver Johnson. The Signature Series are easily identifiable by the Sam Colt script signature on the backstrap.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

These are the ones I had. I dont recall the signature on them. They were a pair of 150 year U.S. Cavalry Commemorative s. They must have been the 2nd Generation then. They kind of helped pay my divorice lawyer, at least in theory. Bet they would be worth something now huh?

Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Thanks for the input guys. And, I did in fact have a talk with myself and decided maybe I just want something with a prancing pony on the side, not necessarily to feel like a levergunner, but rather because I just wanted it lol.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Just wondering, David said 3rd gen saa's are not made by Colt? Can someone expand on that? Seems like booswah to me. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Third Gen SAA's started production post-WW2 by Colt.

"CURRENT" ones.....not sure. But 30-40 years worth of them definitely are/were Colt made.

I've shot quite a few Colt DA's. Other than the Detective Special, I generally far prefer Smiths. And yes, I have shot over half a dozen Pythons ranging in age from 40 years ago to newer (a friend's dad has 9, he also has one).

For me, I prefer S&Ws with Rugers getting an honorable nod. I started out on a Security-Six and a Model 10 HB. Sadly I was stupid (and young) and sold the -Six. The 10 went to an uncle from my dad.

I recently acquired a lightly worn Model 28 6", with the provision that it was a cop gun, and had to go to a cop, one who knew revolvers. I fit the bill and got it nearly free (one for one trade, and my one wasn't nearly as worthy, but hey, he wanted it....)

Same guy has a 3.5" nickel/stainless (?) Trooper Mk III for sale, but I still prefer Smiths. :D
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Guess you didnt see my prior post. Colt SAA`s ARE still made by Colt. I believe I have read that Doug Turnbull does the case hardening.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I just sold for a friend of mine a 6", blue, Python made in 1991, new in the box, unfired for $2,600. I honestly believe I could have gotten a little more for the gun, but she was in a hurry and I think panicked thinking the offer was going to go away. Her deceased husband had paid less than $300 for it when our local Wally World bargain basemented out their handguns in '91. Pretty good investment, huh? Prices for special edition guns can run over $7k.

Although I've owned several Colt DA's in the past, still have the old Trooper I gave Dad 30 years ago, I never cared much for them....shot Smith's for to long for the grip to feel right. I don't care for their lockwork either. Most gunsmiths around here hate 'em.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.