Photo Tutorial: Converting a PG Marlin to Straight Grip

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Photo Tutorial: Converting a PG Marlin to Straight Grip

Post by Pete44ru »

In this photo tutorial, the home gunsmith converts a Marlin 336 with pistol-grip buttstock to a straight-grip (Texan/Marauder), then goes on to completely refinishing the rifle, including rust bluing everything.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/pisto ... oject.html

Ysabel Kid

Re: Photo Tutorial: Converting a PG Marlin to Straight Grip

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That is just awesome! I really like straight-stocked leveractions. What a cool project! 8)
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

His straight grip project turned out pretty well from what I saw, I only read about 4 or 5 pages. I've long wanted to straight grip my 71, I never really cared for the tight pistol grip. I dont think I can cold forge the Winchester lever though, thats my biggest hangup on that project idea.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Sharps4050 lives just down the road here in NC... he's always posting Blackhawk projects. A friend of mine has two of his revolvers. He's quite an accomplished amateur gunsmith!

What's amazing about that straight grip project is how he straightened the lever:

"Holds even better now with the lever very lightly forged to straight configuration. No heat, a few taps in the right spots, supported well and very little finish work to do. A nice feel in my hand and perfect function, the trigger disconnect pad makes full contact, the lever loop does not."
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Malamute wrote:
I've long wanted to straight grip my 71, I never really cared for the tight pistol grip.

I don't think I can cold forge the Winchester lever though, that's my biggest hangup on that project idea.

While I've never bothered, the Winchester lever's loop appears to be much thinner than a Marlin's, and could be doable.

I'd at least attempt the job, since IMO the worst you could do would be that the lever wouldn't straighten.

Alternatively, a Model 1886 lever should drop right into your Model 71:

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgw ... -4/PO70068

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Anyone have any idea if the Japanese parts fit Winchesters?

I'm thinking the Winchester parts are hardened and will require heat to reshape them. Finding an original 86 lever to swap over with would add a lot of expense, as would having to buy a Miroku lever.

ETA: Holy Cow!!! $175 for a lever!!!

No, I dont think I'm messing with trying to reshape a Winchester lever until I find someone thats good enough to do it and not muck it up. No way I'm cold pounding on a 71 lever just to find out.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

That was interesting, may have to find one and try it

Malamute, read your signature and go for it. :)
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'd like to find someone thats done that sort of thing with Winchester levers. If I muck it up, I dont want a nonfunctioning gun that needs expensive, hard to find parts for. Marlin levers arent that ahrd to find, or that expensive. They havent made 71's since the late 50's.

plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

I was just messin with you
But if I come across the correct lever I'll let you know, and you can work on it
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I dont know if the 1886 levers are a drop in fit on 71's other than the straight vs pistol grip. I know there were some changes when the 71 came out, I dont know if they involved the lever other than the shape outside the gun. 86 levers may be even harder to find, as they stopped making them in the late 30's I believe. Being poor at the moment, this would have to be a shoestring operation, so buying parts isnt in the picture. If the japanese parts were usable, and I could afford it, that would be a simple solution.

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

WOW I didn't think Marlinowners forum still existed! Just for jollys I tried to log in using my ancient "Ganjiro" name and it worked, I remembered my old password! I had a PM waiting for me from December 2007. I wonder if it is too late to reply. :lol:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

There's another Marlin forum out there, too - The Marlin Firearms Collectors Assoc: http://marlin-collectors.com/forum/index.php

plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Fixin to try this on the walmart marlin, dont see where I could hurt it