Air rifle back from Stoeger

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Air rifle back from Stoeger

Post by TedH »

The brown truck returned my Stoeger X10 last night. I opened the box and found my same rifle, in seemingly the same condition as I sent it. There was no repair order, no note, nothing except 2 targets with about 1/2" 5 shot group in each one. One was marked open sights, the other marked scope. Both were fired from 10 yards. Cool, I was excited to try it out. I got out all 4 types of pellets I had tried previously, and was disappointed to find it shoots exactly the same as it did before. I can only assume they shot it from 10 yards with their pellets and it was within their spec of 1" group at 10 yards as stated on the target they sent with it. I suppose the only thing left to do is find some of the pellets that they used and see if I can shoot it as well as they did.
NRA Life Member
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Air rifle back from Stoeger

Post by jnyork »

Someone in the air rifle industry used to sell a sample pack of 25 each of 10 different pellets. Cant for the life of me remember who it was, maybe you could google around a little and find them.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

yes, keep trying different one until it happens :mrgreen:

had to do that with mine... then they quit making the ones my air rifle really liked :cry:

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Ted, try Pyramid Air Rifles. They have a lot pellets and a buy 3 get 1 free, and even better offers at times.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Go to the big internet air gun web sites and read the reviews on pellets. Most likely you will find JSB and H&N heavys to be the best choice. Some are even made in different diameters for the same caliber. The best buy anywhere (Wallmart) pellets have been crosman premier's for me. Clean that barrel and try again.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I believe it was Beeman's that used to sell the variety pack of pellets. I'm not sure if they are still in business. If you're on Facebook there is a group there called "airgun chat and B/S" that you might find useful.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

jnyork wrote:Someone in the air rifle industry used to sell a sample pack of 25 each of 10 different pellets. Cant for the life of me remember who it was, maybe you could google around a little and find them.
Pyramyd Air does (or did recently)

Ted, I have the X20 Suppressor model from Stoeger. I like the gun, but the scope that came with it was essentially worthless. It also has a nasty habit of going off-zero randomly. On the plus side, it is very quietly (relatively), and that .22-caliber pellet easily dispatches tree rats. I have 7 or 8 squirrel stickers on the side of it. :D

Good luck!
Pistol Mike
Levergunner

Post by Pistol Mike »

TedH wrote: I suppose the only thing left to do is find some of the pellets that they used and see if I can shoot it as well as they did.
One thing you should have in mind is that springer airguns are very hold sencitive (specially the more powerful ones). Try to not shoot it off the bench or with other rest. Hold it very lightly. Also scopes and mounts must handle the "double" recoil, most scopes don,t. I wrecked two leupolds on my bsa lightning before i tried a hawke.

regards, mike
Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreamin'.
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

I had to google it to refresh my memory, but as I suspected it is a high velocity spring piston advertising super sonic speeds with an alloy pellet in .177 caliber.

First, stay away from the alloys, they are expensive, harder on the gun, and in many cases fly wild as they approach or surpass the speed of sound. You want to be subsonic with an air rifle if you expect accuracy from the little diabolo pellets. Some guys say around 900 fps is as fast as you want to be for accuracy. I don't know about that, it seems like quite a ways from super sonic.

Second, practice the artillery hold as it's been dubbed. This is just supporting the weight of the gun loosely and supporting the forend with a flat hand or fingertips to let the gun recoil and move in a natural way everytime.

Third, as mentioned make sure you have an air rifle rated scope on there, and some of the package ones are no good, so you may have to step up to a better one. The spring piston has a weird bi-directional recoil, and vibration that wreaks havoc on most scopes, including the ones designed for heavy kicking centerfires.

Fourth, sell the thing cheap to someone and buy yourself a nice pre-charged pneumatic gun (PCP), or a quality multi-pump gun even. (Only one comes to mind right now for a multi pump.) :lol:

In all seriousness, I took the 4th option. I bought myself a big springer in .25 caliber. Launched a 31 gr. pellet at about 680 fps (IIRC). I just had all kinds of trouble getting consistent accuracy (out of myself) with it. It was not a bad gun, but I wasn't up to the challenges of an occasional shot with it. So I found a willing buyer, even though it looked like it was starting to destroy the scope it came with, and bought a Benjamin Discovery PCP.

I picked the package with the pump when it was on sale, and also ordered about 6000 .22 pellets with it. (Crosman BTW has a 4 pellet samle pack). Scoping it was a breeze, as I didn't need locktite and the dovetails worked fine. I put an older Tasco 3-9x40 on it and was off shooting. The gun has more penetration that the .25 cal, and I can shoot about 20 times at consistent velocity before I have to top it up, and that's only about 40 pumps. I can rest it, or hold it tight and it will shoot great with the right pellets. It seems to have some preferences, but seems to be alright with a number of them.
With a casual 1 point rest, and seated position I was able to put 3 pellets into about 1/3 of an inch at a ranged 30 yards. The trigger pull is a little long, but it is probably the best deal out there, especially for a package. I was eyeing up a Hammerli Pneuma a while back, but the Disco seemed like a better choice for a hunting air rifle to me.
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
Pistol Mike
Levergunner

Post by Pistol Mike »

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreamin'.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Thanks for the links and input everyone. I'm getting the hang of the springer now. I bought a set of three cheapo metal plate spinner targets from Wally World. Two are 3" in diameter, and one is 2" in diameter. I've been shooting off the deck with my hand just resting between the railing and the stock and have been moving the target back a little farther each time I put it out, in order to keep it interesting. Last time out I had it at 60 yards, and I could whack the small 2" spinner nearly every time, the two 3" spinners are no problem at that distance.

There were two main problems at first, cheap pellets, and me not used to shooting a springer. Good quality ammo made a huge difference, and the more I shoot, the more it tightens up. Thank you all!
NRA Life Member
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Glad it's coming together for you. Your other shooting will mysteriously show improvement as well.

Practice is practice.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

TedH wrote:Thanks for the links and input everyone. I'm getting the hang of the springer now. I bought a set of three cheapo metal plate spinner targets from Wally World. Two are 3" in diameter, and one is 2" in diameter. I've been shooting off the deck with my hand just resting between the railing and the stock and have been moving the target back a little farther each time I put it out, in order to keep it interesting. Last time out I had it at 60 yards, and I could whack the small 2" spinner nearly every time, the two 3" spinners are no problem at that distance.

There were two main problems at first, cheap pellets, and me not used to shooting a springer. Good quality ammo made a huge difference, and the more I shoot, the more it tightens up. Thank you all!

I've read many times that springers require a large number of shots to wear-in.

I'm up to about 100 with no end in sight. :-/

A friend's copy started settling in at about 60.

Glad you're finding some relief in the accuracy department.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

TedH wrote:Thanks for the links and input everyone. I'm getting the hang of the springer now. I bought a set of three cheapo metal plate spinner targets from Wally World. Two are 3" in diameter, and one is 2" in diameter. I've been shooting off the deck with my hand just resting between the railing and the stock and have been moving the target back a little farther each time I put it out, in order to keep it interesting. Last time out I had it at 60 yards, and I could whack the small 2" spinner nearly every time, the two 3" spinners are no problem at that distance.

We're back out to High Hill this week, and they have two Ruger Blackhawk Elite rifles, also high power spring piston rifles here at the camp. They are basically a chinese copy of the Diana 34, stocked in a "tactical" synthetic skeleton stock, scope only. I was surprised at how well they are shooting with generic Crosman hollow points from ChinaMart, especially after being at the mercy of myriads of summer campers.

Sounds like you're doing pretty good, if you're ringing the 2" swinger at 60 yards. Springer air rifles are definitely a different technique from firearms shooting. Glad you've got it figured out. Now try to wear that rifle out!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

http://charliedatuna.com/Airgun%20Info.htm

There is a wealth of springer info here.
The article, "Hold Sensitivity", is worth a read.
Left column near bottom.
The high power springers are a bit touchy.
Handling one like a powder burner will spray pellets.
Heavy pellets also help as once a pellet goes supersonic it wanders.
Check the barrel swivel bolt isn't loose.

Edit: sorry didn't notice your success, way to go.