How about a new Ruger?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

How about a new Ruger?

Post by Rusty »

Ruger has been introducing quite a few new handguns in .327 Federal. The Single Seven, the SP101 with different barrel lengths, well I'm ready for a long gun.

How about a 77/327? The platform is already pretty much in place. A .327 would offer something in a long gun that would be pretty close to a .32/20 but with all the shorter cases that could be fired in it there would be a lot of versatility and with reloading it would offer economy just about equal to the .22 LRs that we can't seem to find any more.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: How about a new Ruger?

Post by gamekeeper »

That would be really neat, I'd also like Ruger to make the 96 Carbine in .22 Hornet.... 8)
Then I would have the problem of which one to buy?... :?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

that round needs to be in a levergun
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I agree Bulldog, a 96/327 would be nice but I don't see them ever bringing that back. I would think the 77 bolt action would require a lot less to get into production.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It wouldn't take much at all for them to make 77's in 327 Fed and 45 Colt, since they already make them in 357 Mag and 44 Mag. The 'Hornet' family might be nice, in regular '22' version, or the 'K' version, or the 17 Hornet (I have one in a Contender Carbine, and am getting to really like that cartridge).

As far as the 96's, my 96/44 is still one of my favorite leverguns, even though everyone who sees it tells me how it doesn't look like a levergun should (but probably drools when they see a Marlin model 62, or a Winchester model 88 :roll: ). I also have 96's in 22 LR, 17 HMR, and 22 WMR, but would love to see them make 96's in 45 Colt or 357 Mag for sure, but 480 Ruger would have been a natural for them too.

I don't have any 327 Fed guns (yet?) and other than the fragile brass, I really like the 32-20, so I'd "settle" for pretty much any new gun any maker turns out in 32-20 (maybe a Desert Eagle... :shock: :lol: ). Seriously though a 96 or 77 or SP-101 in 32-20 would be really cool. Same for 327 for those who have that in their stable.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Your best bet for something like the 77 would be to lobby Lipsey's HARD.

Ruger no longer dips a toe like they used to with variations that would have a relatively limited market.
Lipsey's is willing to push the envelope in smaller numbers & when Ruger gets paid by the distributor up front, with a guaranteed bulk sale that takes Ruger off the hook in piling up inventory that goes nowhere, Ruger's willing to produce a couple thousand on order.

As far as the leverguns go, those never sold as Ruger had anticipated & they're just not worth further development.
Denis
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

how about an AR.327? get some serious smokepole action . . . :lol:
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Jes thinkin'. What niche would a 77/327 fill? Kinda small for hunting deer size game (?). Good "plinker" of course. Varmint (?) Howz the ballistics at "varmint" range? Not being critical of the idea, just enquiring minds wanna know...

A .327 in a levergun? Now that's a necessity...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

I had one of the Marlins in .32 Mag.
Eventually let it go, couldn't find a use for it. :)

.22 does rabbits, .357 does deer, .44 Mag does bear.

Denis
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The only Ruger I want these days is a CCO variant of their SR1911 and to restart the pistol caliber 96 series...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Ruger already catalogs too many variations of everything --- if they would slow down and up production on a few things they have slipped on, i'd be happier

for instance --- 7.5" .45 Colt stainless Blackhawk has been cataloged for years ---- but i've never seen one new

There are probably other examples
----- Doug
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Streetstar wrote:Ruger already catalogs too many variations of everything --- if they would slow down and up production on a few things they have slipped on, i'd be happier

for instance --- 7.5" .45 Colt stainless Blackhawk has been cataloged for years ---- but i've never seen one new

There are probably other examples
True, but then, no one makes a 4.25" Officer's frame 1911 since Colt dropped the ball at the advent of thick 9mm Plastiguns.

Now that people are remembering why thin is a good idea, I'd like to see Massad Ayoob's favorite 1911 variant made in Stainless OTC rather than $2000 custom...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

mikld wrote:Jes thinkin'. What niche would a 77/327 fill? Kinda small for hunting deer size game (?). Good "plinker" of course. Varmint (?) Howz the ballistics at "varmint" range? Not being critical of the idea, just enquiring minds wanna know...

A .327 in a levergun? Now that's a necessity...

I was thinking a .327 in a rifle would be about equal to a .32/20. That would make it suitable for yotes, varmints and a short range deer rifle.

with .22 LRs being in such short supply they would also make an economical plinker.

DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

We already gots two Marlin .32-20s, the .32 Mag didn't offer much over what I can do with Bubbles' little Marlins.

Lead or JHPs, either way, I can load those up for whatever niche might fall between .22 & .357 Mag.

The .327 Mag wouldn't offer much to us either, for all practical purposes.
That's just for us, others may differ. :)
Denis
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

For those of you that have a 30/30, why not try DOWNLOADING it? 5.5gr of 231 on up to about 8gr of Trail Boss with cast bullets ranging from 100gr on up to about 125gr on up to 30 carbine bullets ought to suit ya! Heck, even an unsized case with a .310 ball and .3cc Lee scoop of some fast burning powder out to about 25yds would get almost anyone chuckling.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

DPris wrote:As far as the leverguns go, ...just not worth further development.
Denis
I lobbied hard with Winchester for a re-introduction of the mdl 1892 in the mid '80s... A quality piece that would beat the socks off the Brazilian maker... but they said those same words... "not worth further development." I still don't understand... the development was done more'n a century ago...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Doris, the 327 operates at 45,000 lbs.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Griff,
I was referring to Ruger leverguns.

They didn't sell well enough to keep in production.

Theories about why not include their non-traditional approach.

Given that, there's no sound financial reason for Ruger to develop THEIR leverguns any further, as in bringing any back or adapting them to calibers that would not sell in large numbers.

The Winchesters, with traditional lines & designs that WERE developed over a hundred years ago, continue to sell.
Very little demand for Ruger's more modern levergun designs.

Incidentally, I also lobbied hard with USRAC to bring back a domestic 92 at an affordable price.
Zero interest. :)

Glad somebody's picked up the ball on 92s via Miroku, even if they are pricey & have the unwanted lockwork.
Denis
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

In northern WI the 96/44 sold well. A lot of gun shops owners were confused why Ruger discontinued them, because they sold so many of them.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

May have sold regionally, but a Ruger rep told me they simply had not met Ruger's sales expectations & that's why they were dropped.
Denis
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

DPris wrote:May have sold regionally, but a Ruger rep told me they simply had not met Ruger's sales expectations & that's why they were dropped.
Denis
Sounds like similar reasons the 44 mag semi auto carbines didnt survive
----- Doug
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Kind of funny that they've got that "nontraditional" design that's 115 years old....which sold well for a century.

I have no use for the .327, and for everyone with their pet new caliber of the minute, you have to remember, if it's not going to sell (well) you won't see a major manufacturer take the chance.

It's one thing for a company that only makes repro Sharps to a known market to try out a new caliber in what is a single shot weapon, a bit different to design a brand new weapon (or alter that design) which is definitely not cheap.

The manufacturer I used to work for, with rifles costing in the multiple car payment range, discussed changing to other (similar) calibers at one point.
Which, for the rifle in question, meant changing the barrel, and not much else. Others have done it.

Five years have passed. Still hasn't happened. The demand just isn't there.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

We may be using different meanings for "non-traditional design".

When I use it, I refer not to the levergun as a class, but specifically to Ruger's approach, with no hammer & a plastic rotary magazine.

Aside from the old Savage 99 long out of print (and another non-traditional design), that configuration had not been around as a mainstream handgun-caliber rifle for 115 years, nor had their internals, which were adapted largely from Ruger's semi-auto 10/22 design, and not based on anything from either Savage or Browning designs.

The Savage died out many years ago, and it's too expensive to resurrect today.
It also was never chambered in handgun rounds.

Today's NEW levergun market is no longer PRIMARILY driven by generations of tradition, as an affordable hunting rifle.
The boltgun is now so cheap as a hunter, and newer generations so familiar with them, that they've largely replaced the once-entry-level (and relatively cheap) levergun for those uses.

Where I live, in the West where the levergun was King, you still see them, but come deer hunt the vast majority of the guns in the field are not leverguns like my Grandpa's 1951 Model 94 in .30-30, they're scoped boltguns, even in the brush.

Older guys, like me, still appreciate the old 92 & 94, but the market's changed to where a good levergun's more expensive, and nostalgia drives the market almost as much as practical use, particularly with the current Winchesters.

For those who do still buy leverguns, the situation with the Rugers indicated they simply prefer more traditional patterns, with hammers.
It was the market that didn't support the guns, not Ruger. :)

The Ruger 96 variants were not traditional in looks or function, and were non-traditional both cosmetically & internally.
And they just didn't sell enough for Ruger to keep 'em going. :)

When I say there's no point in Ruger doing further development in THAT levergun program, that's why.
And most particularly- if they couldn't sell in .22LR & .44 Mag, there's NO way they could make a profit in developing for fringe calibers.
Denis
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Does T/C make a rifle barrel in .327? If they or NEF would make one, I would have to buy a single shot. I am aware that it is not a really popular caliber, but I would buy a rifle in that caliber to go with the .327 SP101 that we have. At the distance I have seen coyotes lately, it would be an excellent choice. The 32-20 is long out of production, and the .327 duplicates it. So what if it is not the equal of a .357.

Now, I wonder if it could be made to work in some sort of small semi-auto carbine? It is slim enough in diameter to have plenty of metal around it without making too much weight. As far as the Ruger leverguns go, I got into buying guns too late to get one. They were already discontinued before I heard about them.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Piller,
For purposes of discussion, I were discussing. :)
Only said there'd be no real use for me & my situation, never said the .327 Mag couldn't be useful for anybody else, or that the .357 Mag was a better choice.

There are dozens of rifle calibers that offer some overlap; in my own case I get by with .223, .30-30, .308, .30-06, and .45-70.
Have a good store of .32-20 components left over from Bubbles' CAS days, could plug that caliber in if needed.
Those cover it all for me.

Which does not mean there's no use for the 7mm-08, the .243, the .300 Win Mag, or the .416 Rigby for others. :)

Marlin has plans for caliber expansions in their leverguns, so there's a remote possibility there.

As far as a new semi-auto carbine goes, probably not enough demand in .327 Mag.
Denis
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

AJMD429 wrote:It wouldn't take much at all for them to make 77's in 327 Fed and 45 Colt, since they already make them in 357 Mag and 44 Mag. The 'Hornet' family might be nice, in regular '22' version, or the 'K' version, or the 17 Hornet (I have one in a Contender Carbine, and am getting to really like that cartridge).

As far as the 96's, my 96/44 is still one of my favorite leverguns, even though everyone who sees it tells me how it doesn't look like a levergun should (but probably drools when they see a Marlin model 62, or a Winchester model 88 :roll: ). I also have 96's in 22 LR, 17 HMR, and 22 WMR, but would love to see them make 96's in 45 Colt or 357 Mag for sure, but 480 Ruger would have been a natural for them too.

I don't have any 327 Fed guns (yet?) and other than the fragile brass, I really like the 32-20, so I'd "settle" for pretty much any new gun any maker turns out in 32-20 (maybe a Desert Eagle... :shock: :lol: ). Seriously though a 96 or 77 or SP-101 in 32-20 would be really cool. Same for 327 for those who have that in their stable.

I think about these combinations all the time. Especially a 22H or 25/20. If you could switch barrels like on the rimfires it would be all the better.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a Rossi 92 in .480 Ruger, and it pairs perfectly with my Super Redhawk in the same caliber. Maybe Rossi could make the Model 92 in the .327 caliber for a special run. How many rifles and at what cost would be required to make enough money for the company to tool up for it?

I like the .327 for its ability to use a 115 grain lead bullet intended for the .32-20, especially because I haven't found a .32-20 that I can afford that is in good condition. I just was never turned on by the .357 Magnum. Your mileage may vary.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Don't quote me on this, but a certain maker in Ilion says the .32-20 is the most requested caliber they get for a bring-back.
And that same un-named maker in Ilion also has plans for caliber expansion in their handgun-calibered leverguns.

Can't say which company & can't give a time-frame, but....
Denis
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Ruger should bring back the no 3 in 357mag,44mag,22lr,and 22mag and possibly 30/30
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

bulldog1935 wrote:that round needs to be in a levergun
+1 :D

Would make an awesome companion piece to the Single Seven. :D

Or, how about a slide action like the Remington Model 25? :D :D :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

barbarossa wrote:Ruger should bring back the no 3 in 357mag,44mag,22lr,and 22mag and possibly 30/30
Or sell them with rifled but unchambered barrels so you could make them whatever you wanted. Through a custom subcontractor if needed for legal/liability reasons.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One thing on the 327 Fed is that it IS a rather high pressure round, and may not be suitable for just any lever gun design. Have to ask the engineers.

Speaking of engineering, I wonder how hard it would be to make a switch-barrel Ruger No.3...?

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Well Doc AJ that sounds like a couple of questions for Buck. my old 92 Winchester 32wcf still fits that place just fine for me.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

barbarossa wrote:Ruger should bring back the no 3 in 357mag,44mag,22lr,and 22mag and possibly 30/30
I would like one of those, but I would like a few changes (probably a new guns worth). Reportedly it was hard to make them shoot accurately, and I believe it was because of the forend/barrel band arrangement. I would like to see no barrel band, and maybe a receiver support forend like on the BLR.

I was never a fan of just a safety in many cases. I would rather see a manually cocked rifle.

And just for a neat caliber that I would like to see come back: the .256 Winchester Magnum.
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

In northern WI the 96/44 sold well. A lot of gun shops owners were confused why Ruger discontinued them, because they sold so many of them.

Likewise in the UP. Same with the old Deerfield. You still see a lot of those in the yearly buck photos at the general store.

Eric
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

AJMD429 wrote:One thing on the 327 Fed is that it IS a rather high pressure round, and may not be suitable for just any lever gun design. Have to ask the engineers.

Speaking of engineering, I wonder how hard it would be to make a switch-barrel Ruger No.3...?
The pressure should be no problem. It would have very little back thrust against the bolt face being a straight walled case. The hoop, that is the chamber surrounding the shell would be of greater concern. But it would not take too much metal to contain it.
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.