Jurassic World Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Jurassic World Rifle

Post by Blaine »

It was cool to see a big loop lever stainless Guide Gun in the movie instead of the usual EBR. The movie was ok, but not much more than that. The 3D was tastefully done. A squad of trained velociraptors seemed a far reach. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Jurassic World Rifle

Post by TedH »

Special effects were very good, but overall I was disappointed in the movie. Especially disappointed at the effectivness of the 45-70 on the dinos. I really thought it would have had more thump. :D
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TedH wrote:Special effects were very good, but overall I was disappointed in the movie. Especially disappointed at the effectivness of the 45-70 on the dinos. I really thought it would have had more thump. :D
His 45-70 was going pew pew Not BOOM :lol: Some Garrett ammo was needed.... :idea:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

BlaineG wrote:
TedH wrote:Special effects were very good, but overall I was disappointed in the movie. Especially disappointed at the effectivness of the 45-70 on the dinos. I really thought it would have had more thump. :D
His 45-70 was going pew pew Not BOOM :lol: Some Garrett ammo was needed.... :idea:
Yep, looked like he was shooting trapdoor level loads, no recoil at all. :lol:
NRA Life Member
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Shooting a T Rex with a 45/70 I think he was a bit over gunned :lol:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

If it will kill an elephant, it should do just fine on raptors. Might take a bit more for a T-Rex as they are pretty bit. But the problem with the really big ones is if you shoot them today, and it a fatal shot, they don't realize it til next Tuesday.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

If I was being charged by a T Rex I would probably be too busy staining my pants to shoot anyway
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

barbarossa wrote:If I was being charged by a T Rex I would probably be too busy staining my pants to shoot anyway
I would be trying to throw some brontosaurus steaks at it!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A .22 short....Same principle as when a bear is chasing you and a buddy. :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

I had been away working for eight days, rolled into town and the next day scooped up my Dino crazed seven year old little Son, and went to watch the movie without Mommy!

The next day he gets up, grins and says lets go watch it again!

Off we go, he was so scared he had to sit in my lap for a bit; but he did not cover his eyes this time. He and I loved it! I said look at that awesome lever gun, Daddy needs one just like it!
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Great samb - I remember "Jason and the Argonauts" with my dad, I was scared as well. Saw it the other day.

Memories he will cherish.

Don
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I liked the movie. However the 300 grain hornady HPs would not hve been my first choice. How about some 525 grain pile drivers
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Don't know why , but my first thought was the rifle was a 50 Alaskan. Still would have preferred a Sherman tank.

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Ha, I noticed that Marlin as well. Laminated stainless steel with a scope on it and a big loop. Would have killed them dinosaurs dead if it was just a plane old Winchester. Then there would have been no movie. I'm just saying...
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

No Dinasoars yet but it's worked fine on a few elk!
Started out as a Marlin XLR with a long barrel and short mag tube. I sent it off and had it customized. A year later Marlin came out with the near identical 1895SBL. Guess I was onto something. :lol: Great and very accurate rifle.

missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
No matter the caliber it all still depends on bullet placement. But a Movie ??? They certainly take all the "liberties" hardly ever looking into accuracy to real life details. But at least a big bore was chosen over an AR caliber.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I know this is an old thread, but just saw the movie. I initially thought it was a Wild West Co-pilot in .457. Surprised it is a run-of-the-mill Marlin in .45-70.
Last edited by alnitak on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

run of the mill 45/70 + piledrivers plenty good prescription . . . .

somehow "pew pew pew" and "45/70"
make a discordant incongruity
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Agreed...definitely needed Garret's Hammerheads.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

It was a recoil-less semi-auto .45-70.
Fast & easy on the shoulder.
Not necessary to work the lever. :)
Denis
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Looking forward to watching this !

My wife and i "upgraded" our media room with a 75" Sharp Aquos tv a year or two ago and interestingly enough , i normally sequester myself in the bedroom and am trying to work my way through the Longmire, Hell on Wheels, and Walking Dead episodes i havent seen on a much smaller 28 or 30" set

This seems like just the type of movie to break in the big screen on ! (Its actually broken in - Rita, my wife, watches it frequently, - i just think it is almost too much of a good thing i guess

Kinda' funny, whenever i come in late and find her up waiting for me in front of that thing wrapped in a giant blanket and surrounded by our 3 cats and little dog - i simultaneously think ---

"Thats the cutest thing ever- bless her heart" , then followed immediately by "Crazy cat lady"
----- Doug
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Streetstar wrote: Kinda' funny, whenever i come in late and find her up waiting for me in front of that thing wrapped in a giant blanket and surrounded by our 3 cats and little dog - i simultaneously think ---

"Thats the cutest thing ever- bless her heart" , then followed immediately by "Crazy cat lady"
Nice you still think that! (course I wouldn't tell her the second part).

Congrats on your love for each other.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

alnitak wrote:
Streetstar wrote: Kinda' funny, whenever i come in late and find her up waiting for me in front of that thing wrapped in a giant blanket and surrounded by our 3 cats and little dog - i simultaneously think ---

Nice you still think that! (course I wouldn't tell her the second part).

Congrats on your love for each other.

Thanks man ! :) Such is the yin and yang of life when dealing with relationships --- Kind of like when i go for a bicycle ride, - then drink 6 beers to quench my thirst after said bike ride

That said -- i looked for this movie at a local Redbox, - but to no avail, --- i will have to rent it through itunes i guess--- i enjoyed the original 20 years ago
----- Doug
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I thought about this afterwards....a .45/70 with the right bullet, possibly a 500 grain FMJ, is going to go right through that T rex, and if you punch a hole in his lungs its going to kill him in a few minutes at the most, and a bullet through the heart valve will produce a dead dinosaur fairly efficiently.

If Walter Bell can brain shoot a bunch of elephants with a 6.5 Mauser, and African game scouts can do it with .308's and 147 grain ball, I really don't think you would have too much trouble killing that T Rex with a levergun - if you could hit the brain, which is pretty small though.

But a body shot would kill him, if you had somewhere to hide while he bled out.

Possibly it might be considered sporting, but I think its perfectly doable with an African rifle and the proper bullet.

If the leverguns forum membership was on hand, that movie would have been an hour shorter.

These are my thoughts on the matter. I will now go back to loading for my .44-40.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I think it was a custom 444! My kids and I had a great time watching the movie. Darn thing made over a billion dollars!!!!!!! A few folks liked it.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

missionary5155 wrote:Greetings
No matter the caliber it all still depends on bullet placement. But a Movie ??? They certainly take all the "liberties" hardly ever looking into accuracy to real life details. But at least a big bore was chosen over an AR caliber.
Mike in Peru
The whole movie, like many others, takes "liberties" with truth. Which, of course, is why we like them. Reality is often not as much fun as fantasy.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad