What does it take for you to buy a new gun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

What does it take for you to buy a new gun?

Post by TedH »

So I was talking with an old friend, and he said he had some dies, and other reloading stuff he didn't use anymore. I already have all the dies he offered, with the exception of a set of 44-40 dies, and some 44-40 bullets. I told him I didn't have a 44-40. But, he still said I could have them if I wanted them.

If I accept them, I feel that will make it necessary to purchase at least one 44-40 firearm. :D
NRA Life Member
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Re: What does it take for you to buy a new gun?

Post by SteveR »

I would agree with you, so show pictures of your new 44/40, as soon as you get it. :)

Steve
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It's been fully documented that having ammo in one's possession, without a corresponding firearm, feeds our disease(s) - Just ask Hobie. ;)

:mrgreen:

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

TedH wrote:

If I accept them, I feel that will make it necessary to purchase at least one 44-40 firearm. :D
Works every time. :lol:
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Yep, that's how I got into shooting 45/70,41 mag, 22 hornet. Had ammo/supplies/dies given to me or as part of a "deal" had to get guns to go with.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

My name is Bill, and I am unable to stop buying guns...
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I bought a little Taurus .44 Special snub because i had a box of factory .44 Spl ammo lying around. (wouldnt work in the little MArlin '94 i had originally bought it for)

---- After a few range sessions, i realized the folly of my ways and sold the little snub. I'm a .357 guy for defensive purposes , with .45 Colt a distant second (but first for single action shooting :) ) --- i didnt need a 3rd revolver caliber.

Purchased my 1st 10mm handgun because i had a box of old Black Talon Winchester ammo laying around for some unknown reason ---- unlike the 44, the 10mm sickness stuck

I probably have a few more examples if i wanted to dig deep enough
----- Doug
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Back to the basic question. Money! Back about 1957 Hi Standard came out with their little .22 snub in some wild frame/barrel colors. Turquise, pink and gold all with nickle cylinders. I remember looking at them when I was in high school. Never seen another until yesterday at a pawn shop. $180`s. My wife shot my s&w model 34 snub, they feel the same, same size. She proclaimed my 34 hers. This one is in pink. I am thinking of buying it for her and she may no longer think the little smith hers.
If you scroll down, you can see the gold one here. The one available is bright pink or maroon looking with the ivory looking grips. They are 9 shots and this author claimed accurate. Now where can I comr up with the $200?
http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Sentinel/sentinel.html

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Sentinel/HSS32/hss32.html
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Booger Bill wrote:Back to the basic question. Money! Back about 1957 Hi Standard came out with their little .22 snub in some wild frame/barrel colors. Turquise, pink and gold all with nickle cylinders. I remember looking at them when I was in high school. Never seen another until yesterday at a pawn shop. $180`s. My wife shot my s&w model 34 snub, they feel the same, same size. She proclaimed my 34 hers. This one is in pink. I am thinking of buying it for her and she may no longer think the little smith hers.
If you scroll down, you can see the gold one here. The one available is bright pink or maroon looking with the ivory looking grips. They are 9 shots and this author claimed accurate. Now where can I comr up with the $200?

First handgun I ever fired was a High Standard Sentinal of my fathers. It's a 9 shot with an alloy frame. He traded a nickle 38 for it, back before I was around, and he still has it, along with the box and a holster and gun belt he bought with it new.
NRA Life Member
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Outside of the ones I seen in that hardware store in the 1950`s, the maroon one I seen yesterday I have never seen another colored frame. Have any of you? The blue ones were popular.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TedH wrote:
Booger Bill wrote:Back to the basic question. Money! Back about 1957 Hi Standard came out with their little .22 snub in some wild frame/barrel colors. Turquise, pink and gold all with nickle cylinders. I remember looking at them when I was in high school. Never seen another until yesterday at a pawn shop. $180`s. My wife shot my s&w model 34 snub, they feel the same, same size. She proclaimed my 34 hers. This one is in pink. I am thinking of buying it for her and she may no longer think the little smith hers.

First handgun I ever fired was a High Standard Sentinal of my fathers. It's a 9 shot with an alloy frame. He traded a nickle 38 for it, back before I was around, and he still has it, along with the box and a holster and gun belt he bought with it new.
My Grandfather bought one (50?) years ago, and it made it's way to me. My Daughter could shoot it better than I could, and now it's hers....She also got my spiffy 3" Blue/Stag J-Frame for the same reason.... :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Booger Bill wrote:Outside of the ones I seen in that hardware store in the 1950`s, the maroon one I seen yesterday I have never seen another colored frame. Have any of you? The blue ones were popular.
Not in person. My father's is a black anodized aluminum alloy of some sort.
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

jnyork wrote:
TedH wrote:

Works every time. :lol:
Nothing wrong with that! :D
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Well Ted, I had dies brass & bullets in the 44-40 for years before I came across a Colt
chambered for one, was glad I planed ahead :D

ollogger
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

For me, to the question you asked, seeing how I generally don't get to good of a deal
I'd say no less than 600.00
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I once was given about 3000 rounds of 38 Special, and 1000 rounds of 357 magnum from the owner of a defunct indoor shooting range. Only "logical" thing to do was to buy a gun that shot that ammo. I got a Ruger Blackhawk, a model 94 Winchester (Ranger Compact) Trapper in 357 magnum, and a Rossi R357S single shot rifle also in 357 magnum. I also received a 1000 rounds of 44 magnum but I already had guns in that chambering. My wife asked "why didn't you just sell the ammo instead of buying guns?" Silly gal. :lol:

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:I once was given about 3000 rounds of 38 Special, and 1000 rounds of 357 magnum from the owner of a defunct indoor shooting range. Only "logical" thing to do was to buy a gun that shot that ammo. I got a Ruger Blackhawk, a model 94 Winchester (Ranger Compact) Trapper in 357 magnum, and a Rossi R357S single shot rifle also in 357 magnum. I also received a 1000 rounds of 44 magnum but I already had guns in that chambering. My wife asked "why didn't you just sell the ammo instead of buying guns?" Silly gal. :lol:

362.00 Dollars.......*sigh*
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

BlaineG wrote:
Friends Call Me Ji wrote:I once was given about 3000 rounds of 38 Special, and 1000 rounds of 357 magnum from the owner of a defunct indoor shooting range. Only "logical" thing to do was to buy a gun that shot that ammo. I got a Ruger Blackhawk, a model 94 Winchester (Ranger Compact) Trapper in 357 magnum, and a Rossi R357S single shot rifle also in 357 magnum. I also received a 1000 rounds of 44 magnum but I already had guns in that chambering. My wife asked "why didn't you just sell the ammo instead of buying guns?" Silly gal. :lol:

362.00 Dollars.......*sigh*
That was retail. I got mine for $249.00. :mrgreen:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

2 basics... a seller with a gun I want and money. I either have one or the other, seldom have to two met... Which is why I don't have too many guns. :(
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Biggest reason I just bought my Ruger .327 Federal. I have a pile of .32 H&R and quite a bit of .32 long and short.
I thought "Why not?"
Same reason I bought a CZ 82 and a Radom PPS43.
Had ammo just lying around for each calling my name.
:D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

TedH wrote:So I was talking with an old friend, and he said he had some dies, and other reloading stuff he didn't use anymore. I already have all the dies he offered, with the exception of a set of 44-40 dies, and some 44-40 bullets. I told him I didn't have a 44-40. But, he still said I could have them if I wanted them.

I'm ashamed of you. Why are you posting silly topics on Leverguns.com instead of showing us pictures of your new .44-40? What is your major malfunction? Are you some kind of communist? Did your mother not love you enough as a child?

Get thee to a website or gun store ASAP.

I bought 2 new guns yesterday...with the wife watching...how's that for brave? And I didn't even need money. Remember, that's why God made plastic.

Now I have to buy new holsters, etc. :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

vancelw wrote: I'm ashamed of you. Why are you posting silly topics on Leverguns.com instead of showing us pictures of your new .44-40? What is your major malfunction? Are you some kind of communist? Did your mother not love you enough as a child?

Get thee to a website or gun store ASAP.

I bought 2 new guns yesterday...with the wife watching...how's that for brave? And I didn't even need money. Remember, that's why God made plastic.
Apparently I don't have your kind of cash, or credit. I'm still adjusting to this absurd mortgage payment I got myself into. :cry:

I'll have to wait for a "deal", or somebody wanting to trade for something I already have.
Besides, a friend of mine is trying to help out a widow selling her late husbands collection. There's a Marlin 444, and a 375 Winchester TC Contender that I might have to make room for first. :twisted:
NRA Life Member
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, today all it took was walking into the gun shop. I have got to stay out of those places.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

TedH wrote:
Apparently I don't have your kind of cash, or credit. I'm still adjusting to this absurd mortgage payment I got myself into. :cry:

I'll have to wait for a "deal", or somebody wanting to trade for something I already have.
Besides, a friend of mine is trying to help out a widow selling her late husbands collection. There's a Marlin 444, and a 375 Winchester TC Contender that I might have to make room for first. :twisted:
First world problems, huh? :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

A Driver's License, cash, a clean record and interest in said firearm!
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Kind of a waste if you don't, no? Us gun owners are nothing if not frugal! :lol:
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

What does it take?

Not much.. Always experimenting with something...

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"