Clips and magazines.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Clips and magazines.

Post by gamekeeper »

It used to be anyone calling a magazine a clip got roasted by one and all, now I see even gun dealers are calling magazines clips! It seems the use of the word clip is becoming more and more common these days and I want to know why... :?
Has anyone else noticed this?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Re: Clips and magazines.

Post by firefuzz »

I read a post on MilSurps forum just yesterday about all the brouhaha about calling magazines clips and the distinction between the two. I found it quite interesting, especially the last several post. The final posters related as to how when they were in the military nothing was ever said to them about calling a mag a clip, quite a difference from calling your weapon (piece or rifle) a gun. They then went on to relate that in stories that were told to them by fathers, grandfathers, and uncles that served our country during WWII, Korea, and Vietnam these veterans almost without fail all called these items clips. The basic consensus was that if the word "clip" was appropriate and good enough for these people it was good enough period and people that were anal about the wording had little else to contribute to a conversation.

I find that logic hard to argue with.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

1 syllable vs 3 is the reason I think "clip" gets more mileage than "magazine".
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Griff wrote:1 syllable vs 3 is the reason I think "clip" gets more mileage than "magazine".

Mag :twisted:
NRA Life Member
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Perhaps it's from stiff necked "experts" that insist you speak like they do, 'cause that is what their DI called them? Or some being "superior" in their knowledge of the items' description? But I guess I would not like it if I asked for a Finnigan Pin and was handed a Finnigan screw...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I always thought a clip was what a Garand used and it pops out after the last shot and a new one inserted. That would explain why the old timers of WW2 era referred to them a clips. A magazine was reusable, used in a 1911 and some types of machine guns. But....what do I know. :?
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

What jkbrea said makes sense.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

What jkbrea said is correct. A Garand uses a clip, an M-14 takes a magazine. Or at least that's the way my mind works.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The military has had both magazines and clips to a difference makes sense.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Jkbrea is correct. Several military rifles used "clips" to load their magazines from. A 1903 uses a stripper clip for the user to push the rounds into the gun's integral magazine. As do hand guns like the Broomhandle Mauser and it's ilk. Many military cans of 5.56NATO ammo comes in stripper clips of ten... from which you load your AR magazine.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

My dad a WWII combat veteran in the Southwest Pacific called magazines (1911 Colt, Browning BAR, M-1 Carbine) what they were, and clips (M-1 Garand, 1903 Springfield, etc.) clips. He made sure while we were growing up that we knew the difference, and he'd get a tad irritated when people got the terms reversed. I will continue to call a magazine a magazine, and a clip a clip. The world continues to change for the worse IMO but I won't follow.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

gamekeeper wrote:
It used to be anyone calling a magazine a clip got roasted by one and all,

now I see even gun dealers are calling magazines clips!

It seems the use of the word clip is becoming more and more common these days and I want to know why... :?

The usage is changing, becoming more & more common, because shooters & dealers younger than a lot of us are becoming more & more common - at least our sport isn't gasping for it's last breath. :)

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I don't really care what terms people use, so long as they make sense and I can follow their intended meaning.

But the fact remains that 'Words mean things'.

A clip is a retention mechanism.

A magazine is a storage device.

A clip is used to load or charge an internal or a detachable magazine.

A cartridge is stripped from a magazine (which may have an internal clip) to be chambered into a firearm.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

FWiedner wrote:I don't really care what terms people use, so long as they make sense and I can follow their intended meaning.

A cartridge is stripped from a magazine (which may have an internal clip) to be chambered into a firearm.
Yep....and 'bullets' are the pieces that come out of the cartridge and go towards the target. It drives me nuts (a short trip, I know) when people talk about loading 'bullets' into a gun...unless it is a muzzle loader or air rifle.

OTOH I agree with Petr44ru in that I take some comfort that the new shooters who may annoy us with incorrect or imprecise terminology are at least 'new shooters' and we need more voters who understand why one might own or carry a firearm, even if they call a magazine a clip.

I just politely use MY terms, and most newbies soon follow suit; some even ask about the difference and I explain it. If not I don't care.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

AJMD429 wrote:
FWiedner wrote:I don't really care what terms people use, so long as they make sense and I can follow their intended meaning.

Yep....and 'bullets' are the pieces that come out of the cartridge and go towards the target. It drives me nuts (a short trip, I know) when people talk about loading 'bullets' into a gun...unless it is a muzzle loader or air rifle.

OTOH I agree with Petr44ru in that I take some comfort that the new shooters who may annoy us with incorrect or imprecise terminology are at least 'new shooters' and we need more voters who understand why one might own or carry a firearm, even if they call a magazine a clip.

I just politely use MY terms, and most newbies soon follow suit; some even ask about the difference and I explain it. If not I don't care.
I know the difference, but I don't get too hung up on it. But the bullets and cartridges thing... Yeah I'm with you on that.
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

On a close note, I get frustrated with folks that call a radiused muzzle a "Crowned" barrel.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

don't max capacity statutes only apply to magazines? :mrgreen:
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

gamekeeper wrote:It used to be anyone calling a magazine a clip got roasted by one and all, now I see even gun dealers are calling magazines clips! It seems the use of the word clip is becoming more and more common these days and I want to know why... :?
Has anyone else noticed this?
I blame it on Remington , in 1970 they came out with the nylon 77 that billed as being fed by a " clip magazine " , even says so right at the top of the owners manual :roll:
Phil
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Of course, there are Detachable Magazines usually held in place by a Spring Clip and Internal magazines reloaded with Clips and magazines that have to be reloaded with hydraulics, cranes and squids, and, and and...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Old Ironsights wrote:Of course, there are Detachable Magazines usually held in place by a Spring Clip and Internal magazines reloaded with Clips and magazines that have to be reloaded with hydraulics, cranes and squids, and, and and...
Don't forget the gun magazines you can only read... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I remember reading a detective story where the good guy "snicked the safety off on his .38 stubby". There's a phenomenon with the English language that changes words' definitions with each generation and where it fits in the PC vocabulary...

I prefer magazines for my 1911, clips for my M1 and SMLE, and single stack rotary for my .38 snubby... :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

bulldog1935 wrote:don't max capacity statutes only apply to magazines? :mrgreen:
I like the way you're thinking.... maybe that 90-round magazine I have is really a 90-round clip... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

bulldog1935 wrote:don't max capacity statutes only apply to magazines? :mrgreen:
Only the ones behind the counter at news stands...

I believe most of them have around a 130lb max for a Shoot...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well, not me. I'll continue to correct and annoy anyone misusing the terms! :lol:
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I had a PSG that got all bent about calling magazines clips so I made it a point to "slip up" and do it a lot, still do. It's semantics in my opinion and as soon as I know someone has an issue with it I make sure to do it around them. I'm constantly asking my soldiers how many M4 clips they have then sit back and laugh. Plus its just easier to say clip, and they do the same thing.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30