Windows 10 FREE????

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Windows 10 FREE????

Post by David »

You had MEMORY?
Not just a electrical loop with mercury in a recycled roof gutter?

We had to rewrite the OS in the DG s230 Eclipse just to reach 1K and it took 4 boards!

If you predate the Nova in 69 you got me, I wrote device drivers for the fijitzu eagle in DG and Vax land, where about 500mb was $10,000+ but at least they didn't leak hydraulic fluid on the floor like the IBM packs did.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

David wrote:You had MEMORY?
Not just a electrical loop with mercury in a recycled roof gutter?

We had to rewrite the OS in the DG s230 Eclipse just to reach 1K and it took 4 boards!

If you predate the Nova in 69 you got me, I wrote device drivers for the fijitzu eagle in DG and Vax land, where about 500mb was $10,000+ but at least they didn't leak hydraulic fluid on the floor like the IBM packs did.
I find it simply amazing what the chip makers have done with NOR gates and silicone!!

Steve
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

JohndeFresno wrote:
jeepnik wrote:...I remember when they didn't have hard drives. Anyone remember the Commodore 64?...

But Luke - there was another...

Before the Commodore came out, I cut my teeth on the Radio Shack Color Computer with a whopping 4K RAM (memory), which I upgraded into a fire-breathing dragon by making it a 16k computer! 1980. Ran on color TV screen, memory from cassette tapes.

Then, went into the REAL world of computers with 64k memory (like the Commodore 64), two five inch floppy drive Morrow Micro Decision (CP/M Operating System)... The central processor chip (Zilog 64) was later used to power your desk mount dial (analog) telephone, as I recall. First languages were Batch files and M-Basic by - you might have guessed it - a foundling company called Microsoft.
Okay, we are definitely old. I wonder if today's wiz kids could even get an old computer with a 300bps modem and the wonderful software of the day to connect to another computer via a (gasp) telephone line.

It was more art than science or as one friend called it computer voodoo.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

jeepnik wrote: Okay, we are definitely old.
:lol: Yuuuup! That's what my kids tell me - the grandkids have more manners.

Three months after I was born, the Imperial Empire of Japan saw my potential and wisely surrendered.

But it looks like I'll have to call Levergunner David "sir" - I was taught to respect my elders! :lol:
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Much better then I'm often called :)
Wish I would have kept one of those 120 baud modems that you pushed the telephone headset into. Sitting in front of an old beehive terminal and you could read faster then it could display.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I remember that! And long distance rates to get online because the connection to hook me up with CompuServe was in another Area Code and county. Fun trip down memory lane.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

This is beginning to remind me of that Monty Python routine with the guys competing for who had it worse as kids :mrgreen:

They just gave me a mac for work. Better than a windows machine, but I don't like it as well as my linux laptop. I'm sure half of it is just what one is used to, and the other half is being accustomed to being one's own admin - I detest having to get some guy to come over and get it to talk to the office printer when I can just print on that same printer with my own machine.

I wonder what the .gov personnel department is running... at that level of hacking, I doubt it mattered to the Chinese, but still I'm a bit curious how easy they made it.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

All I do is admin I don't want to do my desktop as well I just want the thing to work. That's why I like the mac and don't even want to upgrade or get a new one, it takes months to get everything working again like it was :)
I want my desktop to be like a hammer I just need to get the nail in!
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Well sure, that's kind of what I mean too - getting the mac to work requires me going over and talking to the guys who do that stuff. My own machine already does it so my preference is to just use the linux machine instead. Same thing, why bother setting it up all over again? But that is nothing much to do with the mac OS itself, just one of my admittedly irrational reasons for disliking the particular set up I'm stuck with.

Probably can't install and run open source stuff either without getting an admin guy to do it. What a bother.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

They keep the admin and lock the "environmental settings" so i have to change that every time I log in but we have admin priv's which when you try to run something you also can't do the default install but then can select the run with or whatever and walk around as easy as a banana in the street so we can install or build whatever software we would want. I believe they run this model to be consistent with the windows boxes which they lock down every which way from Sunday and still run around like mad men trying to keep working. There was about a year when a "windows certified engineer" could make a lot of money and then they figured out all they can and really do is reload, my grandmother can do that. Using cobbler and puppet one person can easily manage 1,000s of machines if they aren't responsible for fixing hardware.
mark08
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark08 »

A little off subject. But why can I not change a saved or produced PDF file without buying Adobe? Can only open and read. Is there a way to open and change a PDf file with another program?
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

mark08 wrote:A little off subject. But why can I not change a saved or produced PDF file without buying Adobe? Can only open and read. Is there a way to open and change a PDf file with another program?
In the "meaning" of what your asking, no you cannot. You can rip the text out of a PDF and (re)create it from scratch in something else or you can edit it as a image but otherwise no you can't just twiddle the words. Why? Because they want to make money ;)

Now is there a "free" one out there lurking just maybe, but I wouldn't hold my breath if there was that works well due to the nature of the beast.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I respectfully disagree with David in that there are now converters that do a pretty good job of converting PDF files to Word, like a product that I use called PDF Converter Pro.

You can try one of these products for free, at this site, although I am not familiar with it as to its quality and completeness:
https://www.pdftoword.com/

If you just Google "PDF to Word" or "PDF Converters" you will now find a slew of products available, thanks to the advancements of OCR software and computing power of our newer boxes.

It may be that you have only trial (limited time or length) use of several products, and will eventually have to pay for one. But my PDF Converter Pro, for instance, is a fraction of the cost of Adobe PDF software, which I used for many years until I found this great product.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

JohndeFresno wrote:I respectfully disagree with David in that there are now converters that do a pretty good job of converting PDF files to Word, like a product that I use called PDF Converter Pro.

You can try one of these products for free, at this site, although I am not familiar with it as to its quality and completeness:
https://www.pdftoword.com/

If you just Google "PDF to Word" or "PDF Converters" you will now find a slew of products available, thanks to the advancements of OCR software and computing power of our newer boxes.
I respectfully disagree as well, I didn't say you couldn't "rip" the text out and edit it in something else, I said you couldn't edit a PDF. ;)

pdftoword does exactly that, it rips the text out. Hope this doesn't make me sound like Clinton on "is".
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanks, David. From the simple way my mind works, it didn't seem clear to me - when reading your comment - that one can pull out the text, edit the text in another document such as Notepad or Word, and re-use it. If I got that impression, possibly others were misled as well.

Again, as you and I know, several (perhaps all) of the latest PDF converters allow you to "Select All" and then copy and paste the contents of a PDF document into Word and other applications, where it can be edited, including and not limited to the actual text. Or they convert straight across, sometimes not as accurately, but pretty close. And of course you can make any readable document into PDF files.

Some products allow you to make searchable PDF files, as well; I have two such applications on my box, since one has features that are easier to use over another depending on what I want to do.

FYI, I started using the free (at least at that time) "Cute PDF Printer" software many years ago to create PDF documents from various sources for sharing with others who use different platforms. I had the $246 Adobe software, I think it cost back then, but it was nowhere as fast to use. Possibly because of all the features that I have never used that must load upon execution.

Then I found more than one excellent product, much cheaper, that does everything that Adobe does except "Form Filler," which now I think some newer products can even do at a fraction of the price.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Not being clear is a feature ;)

I know in some cases I can select, cut, and paste and sometimes not depends on which app or how it was created or something, never took the time to really figure it out. Most time I'm doing this for big documents and use command line pdftotext to yank specific pages or whatever. As mentioned sometimes it's real good and sometimes it isn't...
For scanned documents that's yet another challenge I did however have 20+ years of a magazine scanned and however they did it (a professional company I paid) the it ended up with word searchable pdf which was a huge plus.

I have software that converts PDF's into those fancy online flip pages magazines but I didn't have the first 20 years or so and wanted to have the complete magazine set back to the beginning of the organization.

If someone wants a online "flip" version of their pdf I can create it for them and send it back as a tarball as long as the requests don't go crazy. Here's an example but I've disabled the print and download buttons because I don't want someone taking the whole magazine for free. If you can find them there's a couple more open and I've started writing a whole management system for access but it all takes time...

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/journal ... RSA012014/
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Very nice, Dave. And a generous offer.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

I just downloaded and upgraded our home laptop tonight from Win 8.1 to Win 10 using the much-hyped free download. Piece of cake compared to other Windows upgrades from the past. Took about an hour with a couple of reboots. I opted to disable a lot of the extra mobile krap that comes with Win10 since this particular PC isn't particularly mobile. I've also turned off all of the cloud services and Windows sharing stuff that people seem to want with mobile devices.

So far, zero issues with any applications or websites. The Start button is back and those god-forsaken Windows Tiles are GONE. :D

No issues recognizing the wireless mouse, our Epson scanner/printer, or any of the wireless devices in the house. Didn't even need to backup the data. Even though it's done automatically to our personal cloud server, not a single music file, photo, or movie seems to be missing.

So far so good Microsoft. (Being a Unix guy, I can't remember the last time I actually said that....)
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanks, Stew, for the update.

You might want to reconsider that cloud connectivity for downloading and archiving cellphone snapshots, now or later.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks Stew, keep us posted on it if you will. I have 2 machines running Windoz 7 and I was waiting on somebody's good report before I changed anything.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, thanks Stew... I'm worried about the "extra" stuff that seems to attach itself to any Windows "free" product!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mark08
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark08 »

Thank you Stew. I have not upgraded yet! BUT! Have not heard a lot bad stuff. Your's is good
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Desktop is 7. Tablet and laptop 8.1. I'm not upgrading to 10 until sometime after the first service pack comes out. I'll let all you heros battle with 10 til it gets civilized.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
mark08
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark08 »

That may not be a bad idea
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Free! I think about my Mac operating systems, I used to pay a lot of money for them. And they worked.

Now they're FREE. And kinda crappy. Also full of tracking software no doubt. Also helps push the forced obsolescence (mac wise anyway). We'll give you a new OS free, which will sort of work okay. Then not long after another one, which will work even worse. Suddenly a new computer seems like a really good idea.
Slow is just slow.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Windoze 10 has a number of privacy issues.
You might want to read the following before you decide.

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/

Jack
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

If anybody wants them, I still have all of my bound boot ROM source code for the Z-100 / ZA-100-1, as well as MS DOS 2 and GW Basic 2.0, Condor rDBMS, Technical manuals, 8" disk based diagnostics, the whole schmeer...

Did anyone else build a Timex/Sinclair Z80?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

jeepnik wrote: I'm not upgrading to 10 until sometime after the first service pack comes out. I'll let all you heros battle with 10 til it gets civilized.
Wise man.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Old Ironsights wrote:If anybody wants them, I still have all of my bound boot ROM source code for the Z-100 / ZA-100-1, as well as MS DOS 2 and GW Basic 2.0, Condor rDBMS, Technical manuals, 8" disk based diagnostics, the whole... ?
If I'm not mistaken, I think that factory support has run out on those babies.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Old Ironsights wrote:If anybody wants them, I still have all of my bound boot ROM source code for the Z-100 / ZA-100-1, as well as MS DOS 2 and GW Basic 2.0, Condor rDBMS, Technical manuals, 8" disk based diagnostics, the whole schmeer...

Did anyone else build a Timex/Sinclair Z80?
Well, now you are officially older than dirt. :P
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

JohndeFresno wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:If anybody wants them, I still have all of my bound boot ROM source code for the Z-100 / ZA-100-1, as well as MS DOS 2 and GW Basic 2.0, Condor rDBMS, Technical manuals, 8" disk based diagnostics, the whole... ?
If I'm not mistaken, I think that factory support has run out on those babies.
No kidding... I WAS "technical support" - and that's why I now work in a warehouse...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I updated to 10, I like it so far. My son updated to 10 and he likes it also.
Ricky

DWWC
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Hey - this Win 10 thing works!!

I am now retired and don't depend so heavily on this computer as a daily tool, so I decided to take the plunge and experiment with Windows 10. I am pleasantly surprised, because this Windows x.0 installation actually installed properly the first time and is running almost every application on my computer without a hitch.

This seems so uncharacteristic of their releases that I might even start calling them Microsoft again, instead of Micro$oft.

There is one thing, however, unless my Internet Service Provider is on the blink - the online typing of this thread is working jerkily - I have to wait after a few keystrokes. I will check that tomorrow. But the offline stuff is impressive - and fast. Logon was blazingly fast, given the hundreds of resource grabbing compilers and programming utilities, multimedia programs, and thousands of applications that I've stuffed into my box - from my recently escaped "previous life."

Now here is my first proviso: Backup everything before taking the plunge! I used three (3) different premium backup programs to make full image backups onto USB storage media, and one file copy program so that I can quickly access the more immediate stuff, like the latest e-mails and checking account entries. So I wasn't worried if the system crashed.

I will now give the proper credit to Microsoft for their accomplishment. This installation worked right "out of the box" on my somewhat souped up, non-standard notebook computer. As mentioned, it has tons of stuff that the Operating System has to share their .dll files (or whatever they are called, now - "resource files?"). It all works, with only one or two exceptions, and those are from the old school 32 bit world or even earlier. So far, at least. And I have spent all day testing it.

My current computer, in a nutshell:
Toshiba Satellite (custom built) Notebook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Home, 64 bit, upgraded to:
Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200M CPU @ 2.50GHz,
Intel 64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3; 4 processors
12.212 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M Graphics Card
Single Hard Drive: 943,141 GB (1 Terabyte) with 634.599 GB free
(Uses several USB 3.0 hard drives for backups, archives)
Toshiba Docking Station for USB connections
DVD Blue Ray Double Sided reader/writer
Wireless router
Norton AntiVirus

The Installation:

The Acid Test - Does It Run Out of the Box? YES!

Startup time for my Win 8.1 computer, with its VPN, Firewalls, Antivirus, and resource grabbing directories and applications, took over 3 minutes. Startup with literally all of the same contents using Windows 10 was about 90 seconds, I think. I didn't use a stopwatch but I am truly amazed. I remember reading that this new system makes far better use of available memory, and my system has a huge amount of RAM. But "I'm a programmer, not an engineer, Jim" - and I don't know if that has something to do with it.

This partial list of various applications - old, new, humble, System optimized, and resource-hungry - represents some of the many applications that started right up, almost all more speedily than with my Win 8.1 box (that I kept defragged and maintained like a sports car):
BCWipe secure file removal utility
Backup utilities
Browsers like Firefox, although I like the new MS Edge browser
Desktop Wallpaper (a family photo)
dtSearch word search utility
Email connections (two accounts) worked instantly
Everything file finder
Executable compiled batch files (Quick Batch Compiler)
Glary Utilities Pro maintenance and security program
MS Access - databases using shortcuts; loaded quicker
MS Excel with add-ins e.g. ASAP, started much faster
MS PowerPoint with add-ins e.g. Camtasia, started faster
MS Word complete with add-ins, started much faster
Norton Antivirus
Notepad ++ (Plus Plus)
Private VPN internet security application
Quicken financial and checking program
QuickLoad ballistic prediction software
Rainlendar, older 32-bit appointment calendar
Roboform encrypted password saver
Shortcuts and System shortcuts, e.g.:
* Enable/disable Touchpad (recovered from "Windows.old" and re-installed)
* Mute/Unmute quick shortcut using a Windows system file
Snag-It screen capture utility
Wireless router ran instantly

Desktop View
-
It looks just like my Windows 8.1 screen, unless you click on the lower left corner. The "Start" Menu then brings up all of those goofy "Metro" tiles, as did the Intro screen (or whatever they called it) in Windows 7 and 8. I prefer to use "Everything" (free) file finder, anyway, if I don't have a shortcut in one of my nested folders.

These Do Not Work, but there are other utilities to replace them
Eraser.exe secure file removal utility

Nikon D3100 Digital Camera folder -
Win 10 does not recognize the photo folder for transferring by USB, so I had to download a new utility for that camera and create a shortcut. Fixed, but it will be better when MS comes up with the proper automatic driver, once again, for camera transfers.

PowerDesk Version 9 (newest) file utility -
However, the Win 10 File Explorer does a good job, so I won't look further, at least not for the present time.

Verdict
Good looks (nice default startup screen, by the way), astounding speed, instant linking with my applications, no uncomfortable surprises. Should I give Windows 10 a 10?

So far, it seems like the best release they have produced.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

41 Redhawk wrote:The notification I got is very specific in saying it is a free full copy of Win 10 and not a trial
same here. I am installing on a laptop that was given to me to try on first. if i like it then i will install on my pc.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
mark08
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark08 »

Hey!! Thanks for all your input. I am getting closer to upgrading. Still have that service pack #1 yet to come out. Feel better after a few bugs are found and fixed :mrgreen: Maybe longer than expected. if no or few bugs are in 10. Lets hope :o Again thanks for your advice.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Windows 10 is free if you received the invitation. You will not be charged. Ever.

If you have Win 8.1 the install will be seamless, all desktop items and software are retained. Some win 7 users I know have had issues.

Be sure to go in to settings and see what apps and programs are using camera, mic, your information and who can access your network and network passwords. Much of the permissions are very similar to the permissions on an iPhone. However, it's a bit scary what information others can have access to if you don't take action. I recommend not signing in with your MS account as this gives a lot of privileges to share your information. I won't go in to detail on this as there are many clear tutorials a search away on the internet that will do a lot better job than I, just be aware there are some significant privacy issues with Win 10 if you are not savvy. I caught them right off the bat at first boot when a notice popped up mentioning them as being "disabled by default". Voice in my head said "yea right" so I went and checked, they lied. Yay paranoia! :D

Other than that, this OS seems smoother in some areas, and not so smooth in others. Since you cannot choose to download updates at your convenience, at times you will see a spike in resources being used, usually followed by a notice to restart. That is the only choice you have in the matter is when to restart. Win 8 allowed you to choose whether or not to download, I preferred that. We have definitely reached the stage where minimum RAM for smooth performance is 8gigs and a dedicated video card if you are doing any significant amount of video work, streaming or gaming of any kind.

Hope this helps and I look forward to reading others experience with the latest version of Skynet. :)
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thank for that extremely relevant update, Mr. Shoulder.

I skipped over my chicken scratch notes and forgot to mention that there is indeed a series of privacy compromises that this younger generation just does not "get," but that you can disable upon the initial startup, like your location, message sharing, webcam settings and so on. There is considerable commentary on the Web.

When I ordered my computer with 12 Gigs of memory, the factory rep actually called me to verify my order and ask what it was for - he had never placed an order for this in a Toshiba notebook before. I told him that the upcoming OS (that been in discussions for a couple of years) would no doubt use heavy memory resources. When Peter Norton was writing his first books on parchment scrolls, I remember him saying to double the storage size (hard drives) that you think you will need... And then Elmer Keith told us to shoot the largest caliber that we can handle...

Bottom line, watch those privacy settings and bump up your computer's RAM and chipset if it's below or at bare minimum specs before you upgrade to the free Windows 10. My box is now a rocket ship.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Update on the online hesitation (earlier post) - it must have been a problem either with my ISP or this Leverguns server, because the typing for this message is just as fast as before. No delays.

Secondly - the current Windows Mail application is, in my opinion, lousy. Clunky, and won't allow you to click on all the messages at once and then unclick the few ones you want to download after screening out the spam and unnecessary stuff from current suppliers or advertisers. You have to click each one. There are several comments online to fix this, however, and it will probably be addressed soon.
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

Just got this Kim Komando newletter update via e-mail:

http://www.komando.com/happening-now/31 ... icle_0-cta

Windows 10's privacy policy is a disaster

Microsoft's new operating system Windows 10 is getting rave reviews for being a vast improvement over Windows 8. But Windows 10 has a huge privacy problem that you must know about.

You know when you're installing software and mindlessly click through all those license agreements? Don't do that with Windows 10. You'll be giving Microsoft access to just about all your personal information, and you probably won't even know it.

Microsoft spells out its privacy policy here. But it's buried deep within the super, super fine print that almost no one reads. And, worse, Microsoft's privacy policy is scattered over multiple pages.

Don't worry, though. At Komando.com, we'll help you take your privacy out of Microsoft's hands.

First and most important, don't use Windows 10's "Express install." Use "Custom install."

Turn off all the settings where Microsoft is asking you about Personalization, Location, and Browser and Protection. But also turn off the buttons about sending Error Reports back to Microsoft. That may sound harmless, and useful. But you're just giving Microsoft permission to access your data.

Even more important, to really protect your privacy, go to the Start menu. There, select Settings then Privacy, then Feedback and Diagnostics.

Choose Basic. Then you'll have to spend some time reading through about a dozen pages.

But it's really important that you see the personal information that Microsoft wants to collect from you. And it's important that you decide which information of yours Microsoft gets, and which information it doesn't.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hope this helps,
Mark :idea:
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Great info Mark.

My updates:

E-mail Management
Lousy Windows Mail interface does not allow me to check all mail coming in, and then uncheck a few and delete the rest. So, since I have Yahoo mail, I just created a shortcut to go directly there to dump the junk mail - using "Check All" option and then unchecking the good ones, as I said before.

Your ISP may have a similar setup.

Start Menu
It's a mess with all those goofy Windows 8 metro tiles. But at least with 8 you could spread them out over the whole page, and quickly pull up an application by merely typing in the first few letters of the app's name. This one is messy.
The How-To Geek comes to the rescue with his article:

http://www.howtogeek.com/223728/bring-t ... sic-shell/

A dedicated, donation supported group of clever people created an easy-to-install application. Again - FREE. But I will donate, because this is worth it. You can change the Start Menu back to Windows 8 or 7 or XP menus, and change it back using "Settings" on the Start Button.

Now I'm home free. No more weird Metro tiles that move around and get lost when you accidentally bump them with the cursor.

It's getting better all the time.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Mark,
Leo Laporte, on "The Tech Guy" show suggested the same thing as far as the set up. My copy of Win 10 is downloading as I type this. I have slow DSL so it's taking a while.

I'm not sure when I'll get around to doing the set up, maybe next week.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Rusty wrote:...I'm not sure when I'll get around to doing the set up, maybe next week.
You can just let the thing download and go to bed. The next morning it should be there.

The setup is great, because you don't have to sit there and keep on answering questions or enter your computer logon password, if you use one. There are several restarts, but it runs all by itself until the process is complete - no interaction required until you first actually run the new system and deal with the Setup window that we have been talking about.

That is, providing that your computer has the minimum requirements for the system to function, as discussed above.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Another privacy warning for Windows 10...

http://www.wnd.com/2015/08/windows-10-s ... ards-more/
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

And, if you don't upgrade, you get endless popups from Microsoft.

My newest laptop is 8.1. Every time I start it I get a popup to buy 10. The laptop also had Mcafee installed. After the freee period ran out I got the same type of popups. But I deleted the Mcafee software and those at least went away.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
mark08
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark08 »

Instead of pop ups I have a icon in the tray for the win 10 up grade. A white four pane window that says " get windows 10" . Has it already loaded? :evil:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

mark08 wrote:Instead of pop ups I have a icon in the tray for the win 10 up grade. A white four pane window that says " get windows 10" . Has it already loaded? :evil:
I deleted that form the tray. Perhaps when you do that, not everyone knows how, they start sending you popups that surprisingly, the popup blocker won't block.

And people wonder why I miss DOS. It only did what you told it to do.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Mass File Transfer and Manipulation
For moving a group of files from one folder or drive to another, I miss the PowerDesk 9 Pro application which no longer works on Win 10. However, there is a free replacement. It's not quite as pretty, but very nearly as useful - "Free Commander XE," again supported by donations. Like in the good old days of Shareware, for those of you who are old enough to shave and who remember...

The link:
http://freecommander.com/en/downloads/
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Win 10 running more than 2 weeks, now, at least two updates have been received that I noticed (they're automatic, as noted). I have used a great number of programs (applications) that were on my Win 8.1 setup - all run smoothly except that which was noted above. Outstanding!

In fact, this system is actually the best I have used; very versatile. I foresee some loyal Mac users looking twice at this system, now.

Congratulations to Microsoft. You have redeemed yourselves, finally.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

JohndeFresno wrote:Win 10 running more than 2 weeks, now, at least two updates have been received that I noticed (they're automatic, as noted). I have used a great number of programs (applications) that were on my Win 8.1 setup - all run smoothly except that which was noted above. Outstanding!

In fact, this system is actually the best I have used; very versatile. I foresee some loyal Mac users looking twice at this system, now.

Congratulations to Microsoft. You have redeemed yourselves, finally.
You can select not to install updates automatically. Heck, you can tell it not to even down load them. I don't mind downloading them as I can delete them. But I will never allow any software to install or update automatically. That's the quickest way to infestation.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Odd bit...

I had to re-wire the way my USB hub-to-hub connection was routed to get Win10 to recognize the hub(s) and the down-stream devices. And for some reason my touch pad (internal USB driven) ONLY works in the "raw" mode before the UI fully loads... then it won't work at all.

Very odd.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!