rusty bullet mold cleaning the rust...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

rusty bullet mold cleaning the rust...

Post by smokenrust »

I just bought an old rusty bullet mold, a genuine Winchester 38-56 WCF to be exact. and it is rusty to some degree, but big question is, How do I clean the cavity without damaging it? Or just run some lead in it and let the heat and lead descale it? or run a brass brush in there?
Here is a pic of it... Thanks, SnR
$_571s.JPG
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLLECTABLE-ANT ... 7675.l2557
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Re: rusty bullet mold cleaning the rust...

Post by Lefty Dude »

Naval Jelly, and a nylon brush
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I would either use the naval jelly w/nylon brush or the lead and rust removal cloths available from Midway. I've saved a couple of neglected old molds with them. Whatever you do, stay away from wire brushes.

Eric
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I too saved a mold of late. I cleaned up the outside as well as the mold faces with oil and 4/0 steel wool. I then cast a few boolits from WW material. I then used a small amount of lapping compound in the cavities, twisting the lapping compound and boolits until the cavity came clean.

TomF
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If you don't mind taking the wood off the handles you can put it in a sonic cleaner and it'll get it relatively clean .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

While Navel Jelly will do a great job it is an acid and will etch the metal causing some damage to the unrusted areas. Evapo-Rust will remove all the rust and won't etch or damage the surface but will get down to the bottom of the pits too. It will clean that mold in about 15 minutes, rinse off with water. No labor involved.

http://www.rustremover.net/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've used 3-1 oil and bronze wool to good effect on light surface rust.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

+1 on the EvapOrust. Just remember that it needs to be at least 70 F to work properly and a little more heat makes it work quicker.
I've used a bullet cast and drilled, then epoxy in a drill bit or blank to make a lap that is coated with fine lapping compound then clamped into the mold and turned with a drill motor to polish the mold. It may increase the size of the bullet by .001 or so but the bullets will size down to whatever. I've even used this method to make a mold for larger bore diameters that wanted a bigger bullet.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've done several old Winchester bullet molds that had rust in them.

My favorite method is to use Kroil and 0000 steel wool. Don't be in a hurry. Spray it down good with the Kroil and let it set for a day. Then work it a little at a time with more Kroil and the steel wool. Wipe it off with a paper towel once in a while to check your progress.

You will be surprised. Kroil is great stuff!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

I already got the mold soaking with some oil and waiting for the old rust to start letting loose... but it wasn't Kroil... might spray it down with that stuff tomarrow, I don't have evaporust...
When going after other rusty surfaces, I use one of them dryer sheets that has been used up as a rub cloth and soak that with oil. and sometimes an aluminum scratchpad works too but not using it here.
Thanks for the input and suggestions, SnR
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...