Politically correct lever gun for patrol

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Politically correct lever gun for patrol

Post by trooper joe »

Just picked up a nice Marlin 336Y made in 2004. Installed an XS white post front sight (my old eyes can really pick this up) and a left over Ludwig cross bolt safety eliminator. Was thinking what a great combination with my old Model 15, S&W Combat Masterpiece if I was still working patrol in the 60's.

Cross bolt safety elinator (the safety is between your ears not here)

XS white post front sight (great combination with the stock folding style rear sight)

This combination was really all that was needed. Maybe the PC police would even approve the image of an old S&W revolver and a lever gun instead of "black" guns :).

Trooper Joe
Trooper Joe
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Politically correct lever gun for patrol

Post by crs »

Nice set of tools. For ammo compatibility and simplicity, I chose a similar approach- all .357 Magnum.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

crs wrote:Nice set of tools. For ammo compatibility and simplicity, I chose a similar approach- all .357 Magnum.
Yep. Same here, in 44 Mag/Special long ago (44 Redhawk, Marlin 1894, & Bulldog 44 Spl for ccw).

Later on I assembled a 'set' in 45 Colt as well using a Marlin 1894 I rebarreled from 44 Mag, and another Redhawk. Can't find a compact 45 Colt like the Bulldog though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

crs,curious about the fore stock on that '92,can you give a little bit of guidance?
Thank You!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I carried a mdl 94 Winchester in .30-30 in my patrol car back in the '90s... no one said a word about it. Except a couple of the younger guys... right up until I out shot them with their CAR-15s! My 1979 Winchester was just a standard carbine... not nearly as good lookin' as your 336!

What I liked was that the mdl 94 fit right in the shotgun rack in the front seat... didn't even rattle around.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That's a fine looking pair that will still get the job done.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

yep ammo compatability is nice. my rossie 92 and my sa taylor smokewagon use the lowly .357 magnum :roll:
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Milton,
The rifle is Winchester 1892 SRC made about 1907 and converted to .357 mag some years before 1970 when I purchased it very well used. The conversion included the Douglas barrel and Bishop stocks. I removed the saddle ring and installed the receiver peep sight soon after I bought it. It was re-blued and the wood was repaired and refinished a few years ago just before the picture was taken.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Good lookin' duo! My "urban assault" rifle is a mod. 92 clone in .44 Magnum...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

CRS,
Thank you! I did not mean to hijack this thread ,I was just curious!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's three pairs that would probably serve in a squad car as well as they have around the farm. Set up as they are they work equally as well at night which is when many varmints come out.
> Three 'Night Scout' leverguns
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1894c

Post by 1894c »

trooper joe -- I really like your choices... I remember many a LEO, mostly Sheriff Deputies, carrying a .30/30 for a patrol rifle...I still think it's a good idea, as for me is a .357mag levergun...thanks for sharing... :)
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I knew a deputy carrying a Marlin 336 up until 2001. After 9/11 he upgraded.

Me, I carry an 870 and an AR. If I want a hard hitting low capacity piece I'll load the 870 with slugs. Me personally having 30 rounds on tap is a great comfort, as I've trained with the AR and carried one most of my adult life.

That said, for rural work a .30-30 with a sufficient supply of ammo and a good set of sights (the XS white stripe with ghost ring was my favorite) can still do good work.

I know the Alaska state troopers carry 1895's for dealing with game animals and bears.