Sucks to get old, don't it

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Sucks to get old, don't it

Post by ceb »

Yesterday I attended a local match of the Illinois Police Association, this was just a form of the old PPC course I used to shoot back in the day. Reminded once again on just how bad my eyes have got. I used to average a score in the upper 580's out of 600 on this course of fire. Now if wearing my normal progressive lenses I can see the scoring rings but not the sights, if I put on readers I can see the sights nice and sharp but the scoring rings disappear. Particularly at the 25yd line. And black on black sights and target didn't help any. Yep, sucks to get old.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Sucks to get old, don't it

Post by Griff »

ceb wrote:Yesterday I attended a local match of the Illinois Police Association, this was just a form of the old PPC course I used to shoot back in the day. Reminded once again on just how bad my eyes have got. I used to average a score in the upper 580's out of 600 on this course of fire. Now if wearing my normal progressive lenses I can see the scoring rings but not the sights, if I put on readers I can see the sights nice and sharp but the scoring rings disappear. Particularly at the 25yd line. And black on black sights and target didn't help any. Yep, sucks to get old.
Why I put an orange insert in the front sight of my mdl 65 S&W! I don't think I could ever see the scoring rings @ 25 yards... our dept used the silhouette target with a max value of "5" ~ the size of the 9 ring on the "10" value target and an "X" ring the size of the "10" ring... with the S&W I could get about the max 300 points and about 25X, with the 1911, I generally scored a high 290s and Xs in the 22-25 point range... seems at 25 yards those military sights were just too small to see well.

And while gettin' old may suck, it beats the alternative!!! :P :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My 66 year old eyes have the same problems, maybe this is why buckshot was invented!! :|
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

It sure as hell aint for sissies, is it? :)
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Ya think that's bad? I have developed a tremor to the point I have thought about taking up gold panning. I only would need to attempt to hold the pan!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Griff wrote:
ceb wrote: ... And black on black sights and target didn't help any. Yep, sucks to get old.
Why I put an orange insert in the front sight of my mdl 65 S&W!
In the past year or so I've taken to using bright orange fingernail polish on all my front sights. It really helps see the front sight in all sorts of conditions, especially on towards dusk. I've used it on some carbine sights also.

I'd heard that using a white undercoat helped the orange to be as bright as possible, its what I did, and it seems to work real well.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm fortunate enough that, @ 72, I don't need glasses for shooting, but a few of my friends do - and had the same focusing troubles you're having.

I say "had", because their optometrist (eye doctor) fixed them up with the proper glasses for shooting - and they do pretty well now.

Their doctors were either shooters themselves, or were familiar with the issues (some may not be, or be anti-gun).

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've been using bright yellow paint from Testor's model paint kits for years. Even before my eyes got old.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Booger Bill wrote:Ya think that's bad? I have developed a tremor to the point I have thought about taking up gold panning. I only would need to attempt to hold the pan!

If'n that ain't taking lemons and making lemonade, then I don't know what is.

It reminds me of the punchline of an old joke where the old guy in a nursing home who just got dumped by his equally old girlfriend for another asks her "What does old man Jones got that I ain't got?" She answered, "Parkinson's." You fill in the front part of the joke; I donT want to get censored.

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Old age comes at a really bad time. Just as we get smart, we get old. :roll:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

R U kidin' ? :roll: When I was a teenager, I was the smartest person in the world. ;)

:mrgreen:

Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

Gettin' old does suck! But I guess it's better than the alternative. Can't see, can't hear and nearly everything I've got hurts but I'm still kickin' and that's what counts
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Lassiter wrote:Gettin' old does suck! But I guess it's better than the alternative. Can't see, can't hear and nearly everything I've got hurts but I'm still kickin' and that's what counts
I know what you mean. Reminds me of a terrifying experience I had just the other day, I woke up in the morning and nothing hurt, thought I had passed away during the night. :lol:
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Old men shouldn't laugh so much. Makes my belly sore the next day.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

I don't really feel old, but one look in the mirror confirms that I am old! Oh well, bound to happen to everyone ...if we live long enough.:lol:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

ceb wrote:Yep, sucks to get old.
But it is better than the alternative! :shock:
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

jnyork wrote:
Lassiter wrote:Gettin' old does suck! But I guess it's better than the alternative. Can't see, can't hear and nearly everything I've got hurts but I'm still kickin' and that's what counts
I know what you mean. Reminds me of a terrifying experience I had just the other day, I woke up in the morning and nothing hurt, thought I had passed away during the night. :lol:
that's some funny s#*t there :) .............

made my day.

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Went to ghost rings on handguns I can get them for. And, now use some sort of optics on most of my long guns. But then my sig line explains it all. Darned kids!
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

gamekeeper wrote:My 66 year old eyes have the same problems, maybe this is why buckshot was invented!! :|

Hmmmm , might explain why I've gotten interested in loading buckshot for my old Damascus guns the last 4 or 5 years !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I quit getting older, but several chums who were my age once are now around 69-70 years old! It does seem kinda strange, checking the obituaries just to see how my old friends are doing... oh, well...
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

the way I "see" it: any old excuse to move that target closer so I don't have any trouble hitting it works for me. And I ain't talkin' about the bullseye, I'm talking about the entire 10" target.

Cheers,

Carl
45-70marlin
Levergunner

Post by 45-70marlin »

I just installed a new skinner brass front sight on my 94 win. 30-30 because of the same problem. It made a big diffrence with the rear peep sight.
Endeavor to persevere
Alan in Vermont
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Alan in Vermont »

jnyork wrote:It sure as hell aint for sissies, is it? :)
I sure hope to tell ya!!
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

jnyork wrote:It sure as hell aint for sissies, is it? :)

Absolutely true! Ya gotta be tough to be old!
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

No, its just wonderful.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry