New trail gun needed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

New trail gun needed

Post by walks with gun »

I'm going to try hiking into my favorite fishing pond in the A.M. but my legs hurt and back is locking up, so I'm thinking I need a new trail gun. I'm looking for something that looks as good as my Commander of Vaquero, About a half pound loaded would be nice, recoil like a .22 and hit like a .454, with me shooting it I would also like it to be capable of removing a grouses head with ease at 100 yds. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, this will be a hard working gun. Any Suggestions besides getting a fix on reality.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New trail gun needed

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Me too. Oh, mine needs to hold 21 shots and be a double action revolver with a two pound DA trigger pull. An extendable barrel would be nice.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Do a 3-D printer plastic gun..................... :roll:

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

How about a .22 mag six gun and get closer to the grouse?

The ruger ss bearcat with adjustable sights, in 22lr would be a great going fishing gun. What part of the country are you in?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Ruger has a new DA revolver in .327 Federal. Sounds like just what the doctor ordered.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Taurus Raging Bull .454 in a 6-8in barrel? They come factory ported with recoil absorbing grips. Pretty decent rep about them, and most people are fine with their pistol line anyway.
Have some hog hunting video-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYxVbTA6LEs

Granted, you're going to get a bit of weight behind it, but you give and take.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
magyars4
Levergunner 1.0

Post by magyars4 »

I have been considering a Ruger LCR-X, 3: 38 special at some where around 13 ounces.
I have been waiting for the local gun emporium to acquire one so I might get a up close look at it.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Just wait until ZMF (Zero Mass Field)/Relativistic Projection Fields are finally fully developed...

Push something into it at any velocity and that velocity becomes a percentage of the speed of light in the direction of input travel. Mass becomes energy at relativistic speed.

Output is sublight mass at relativistic energy levels.

Please make sure you hit the grouse in the head. The rest will be pre-cooked.

(It's the current science of how to make a "Blaster". There is also solid science on how to make a "Light Saber", though it has nothing to do with focused light energy... even though that would be what it looks like...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I stopped carrying a .22 pistol in the woods twenty years ago. Every time I did, I ran into something where it wasn't enough.

If I want something light, I carry my 4" model 66 or my LW Commander.
I use a light loaded .38 Special 125gr plated for small game/plinking and a full house .357 158gr flat point for "problems"
I use 230gr Ball in the Colt.

For something a little heavier, I use my SAA .45 or my 629.
Use a 255gr Lyman 454190 over 8-9gr of Unique in the Colt.
Use a 240gr XTP over 22gr of IMR4227 in the .44.

Best all around for me is probably the 66 Smith.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

All bleeding edge science aside, my normal "trail gun" is a Rem 1858 with a spare C&B cylinder loaded light and a .45ACP or .45 Colt R&D Cylinder for backup.

Not quite .454 lever whompum, but it will do in a pinch.

IMO the closest thing you will ever get to your desire is a 4-1/2" Ruger Old Army with a spare cylinder or two. That CAN be loaded insanely hot...or puttt weak... depending on mood.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I like my Bond Derringer 45 snakeslayer, my usually carry is a 410 3" with # 5 shot in one barrel and a 45 Colt 250 gr. SWC with a proper amount of Unique. I have a custom belt slide that holds four extra 45's and one 410.

Works for me.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Kel tec .32ACP. Will stop an elephant, light as a feather, and will split an apple seed exactly in half at 50 yards. :P
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

Ruger Single Seven.... Full 327 magnum if you need it, 32 Mag or 32 Long for edible animals. Light, accurate, inexpensive to reload, IMO the perfect trail pistol if you don't have bears where you are.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I finally decided to take my trusty old Commander in .45 along, shoots good, in a pancake holster it rides high and flat and small game season is closed so it went along, pretty hard to beat the 1911's unless your in big bear country. I have run into 3-4 feral dogs out there, that evening I was trying to walk out fast in a rain storm and I was carrying my 45 flintlock longrifle, I was pretty sure it would fire once but not so sure reloading in the rain. I often see wolf and cougar tracks in the mud, so I'm not fond of 22 handguns in the woods, I do borrow my daughters single six .32 mag once in awhile, shoots nice and light too. I don't suppose I'll ever find the perfect trail gun, I change my mind too often. Fishing was great caught a limit of crappies I cleaned and dropped off at the parents house and still had time for yard work.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I have been carrying a Glock 26 for my woods-walking gun for the last 12 years...I have a Ruger LCR in .22cal on lay-away that I will carry in my back-pack as another option... :)
glock-26-gen-4-9mm-fixed-b.jpg
DSC02650.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

My favorite trail gun is a S&W 329PD. It is light weight, accurate, lots of different types and power levels of ammo from Birdshot - heavy magnums. It can be reloaded quickly with Safariland comp II speed loaders (for two legged problems) and in a Merkel cross draw it is out of the way or the used Jackass shoulder rig I got in a shop in Anchorage for $25. I got the gun at a good price it was given to me by a lawyer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I have a S&W 69 that is lighter than my 4" 686 but bites a lot harder. I wish they would make it in .41 magnum. I usually have a.32 pocket pistol with me most of the time.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

I find for my "neck of the woods", my S&W Model 67 .38 special in a nylon holster is a perfect, reasonable weight, handy trail handgun. First couple of chambers carry CCI shotloads and the other 4 stoked with 158 swc's at +p velocity. A couple of speed loaders or speed strips with another 6 in each of them are carried handily in a jacket or vest pocket.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

10mm something! Here, I even did your work for you--

Six bones and it's yours. ;)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

ethang wrote:Ruger Single Seven.... Full 327 magnum if you need it, 32 Mag or 32 Long for edible animals. Light, accurate, inexpensive to reload, IMO the perfect trail pistol if you don't have bears where you are.

I have one of those on the way. Fine for Ohio but when I'm hiking around my cabin in PA I usually have
one of my .44s in a cross draw holster.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Don't really have woods where I live, so it is a moot point for me. A Glock in .357 Sig would not be a bad idea. Not too heavy, almost the power of a .357, and accurate enough for most things. I like PillHer's little SP101 in .327 Federal. It is light enough and powerful enough for anything that I am likely to encounter while walking my dog through the neighborhoods.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Get a Blackhawk in .357Mag. with a longer barrel.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Unless it's a classic like a cap-n-ball pistol or colt SAA or copies of, when I see a barrel on a pistol longer than 4.75" I get to thinking it's time to get the hacksaw and files out. If I can't occasionally stuff it in my pants Mexican carry or in a back pocket, it isn't a very handy handgun anymore. I will on occasion carry a longer barreled SA but rarely.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

walks with gun wrote:Unless it's a classic like a cap-n-ball pistol or colt SAA or copies of, when I see a barrel on a pistol longer than 4.75" I get to thinking it's time to get the hacksaw and files out. If I can't occasionally stuff it in my pants Mexican carry or in a back pocket, it isn't a very handy handgun anymore. I will on occasion carry a longer barreled SA but rarely.
Nothing wrong with a C&B in less than 4"... in fact, I have a Project to make a 7" 1851 into a "Sheriff's Model" with an abbreviated loading lever and a 3"-3-1/2" bbl...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!