.22 cat sneezers well, .223 actually

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

.22 cat sneezers well, .223 actually

Post by Grizz »

starting new thread for trading .223 light loads, hopefully ones that will cycle AR15s. starting with this link,

http://www.blackthornforum.com/Forum/vi ... f=35&t=115

a successful subsonic .223 load for one particular gun. kind of almost getting into the 300 BLK thing, but with the tiny bullets. the interesting quote:
Everyone's weapon is different so don't use this recipe and expect the exact same results. This was tested and dialed in on an AR-15, 16" barrel, 1:8 twist, mid-length gas system, with a YHM Phantom Suppressor. The cases were trimmed to 1.743" and the Over All Length (with seated bullet) is 2.220" using a Speer 55 grain HPBT projectile. 3.8 grains of the IMR Trail Boss powder is what I fine tuned. This gives me 1005 FT/s at 123 ft-lbs of energy. (In comparison a 40 grain .22lr round at 1000 FT/s is 88.8 ft-lbs)
here are some questions I posted on the other thread.
Interesting idea. But would you really want to rely on the spring to lock the breech? and, if you had that much spring, could you cycle it all the way?

I was thinking you would alter the buffer and spring weights.

Or maybe even use the charging handle to cycle, essentially a sequential single shot.
Or maybe this is the place for a piston gun with variable gas?

Hoping someone has this all set up and running. Wouldn't even need earplugs. should have all the accuracy and potential of 22mag or better, eh?
so, if there's any interest, I'd be interested in hearing it. The 223 subsonic thread shows potential. Although the 115gr 300 BLK seems to cover the zone, not everyone has that or even wants it. but the idea opens up the .308 subsonic questions too.

anybody into the .223 subsonics?

Grizz
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: .22 cat sneezers well, .223 actually

Post by Malamute »

I'm interested to see what turns up in your thread. The subject is interesting. A suppressor may be useful, and be able to keep the power up for more range.

22 conversion kits are nice also. Have also seen some 22 AR's that look interesting.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've been doing a lot of searching and reading on the castboolits forum about the same thing. I'm looking to use them in my Ruger 77 not an AR. If the OP is using a suppressor he will have an advantage is getting the unit to cycle since the can is going to build up more back pressure. Thanks for posting

As for the .22 conversion units I did read on an Appleseed related thread that they advise not bringing one of them to an Appleseed shoot. #1 they have been found to not be reliable enough to get through the whole course without cleaning, #2 They are not as accurate as a standard .22 rifle.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Rusty wrote:I've been doing a lot of searching and reading on the castboolits forum about the same thing. I'm looking to use them in my Ruger 77 not an AR. If the OP is using a suppressor he will have an advantage is getting the unit to cycle since the can is going to build up more back pressure. Thanks for posting

As for the .22 conversion units I did read on an Appleseed related thread that they advise not bringing one of them to an Appleseed shoot. #1 they have been found to not be reliable enough to get through the whole course without cleaning, #2 They are not as accurate as a standard .22 rifle.
:idea: A 77-22 in Hornet might be the bee's knees....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

CAS has been pushing the .22 Whisper for a while...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Hobie wrote:CAS has been pushing the .22 Whisper for a while...
do you have some info or links? all I am finding is gamo airguns.

thanks

Grizz