Old dog question :edit - found- not good news

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Old dog question :edit - found- not good news

Post by Streetstar »

My 12 year old border collie escaped my back yard along with her 2 compatriots ---- The other 2 ding a lings made it back, -- my smart dog did not

This was 10 days ago and i have blanketed my area with bright yellow signs with my # and "Lost Dog- Reward"- info

--- Lots of calls on the signs , but usually a different dog

Its been a royal bear trying to find her --------- somebody brought up the fact that maybe she just went off to expire by herself
--- This sounded preposterous to me at the time , --- my Princess had a health scare a year ago, (pancreatitis attack) but since then i got her on high protein food and it really took some years away regarding her perceived energy levels -- she ran circles around my much younger boxer and was catching rabbits in the backyard

I'm thinking she wandered too far and just lost her way ------- (i saw a girl re-united with her dog after 3 weeks missing - so im not giving up after 10 darn days - )

But the thing about old dogs going on "walkabout " to find a more comfortable place to count down the hours --- is that an old wives tale, or something that old dogs do by their nature?
Last edited by Streetstar on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Re: Old dog question

Post by mod71alaska »

I can't answer your question, Doug, but I feel for you. You and your old pal are in my prayers tonight.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've never heard of anything like that..... I hope you guys are reunited very soon....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Streetstar wrote:
But the thing about old dogs going on "walkabout " to find a more comfortable place to count down the hours --- is that an old wives tale, or something that old dogs do by their nature?
Like Victor (good to see you posting, Vic!) I hate it for you...it's always bothersome to have one missing.

To your point though... I lean towards it being a real deal.
I'm sure people feel better if they think it was just the dog's time to go, and they didn't put out 110% effort to find it...
But I've had more than one elderly dog "go missing". Old timers always told me they would go out to the woods to die when they got ready.
I SAW the neighbor's dog do it...she got unhealthy in her old age and left the neighbors house to go lay in my pasture, up against the treeline. I saw her way out there on evening and thought it was odd...next morning she was still there but her head was down. I went out to check on her and she had passed in the night, so I buried her. Neighbor said she was feeling sickly lately.

Our cat was an inside cat all her life. Out here, if you let an inside cat out much (her front paws were declawed to save the furniture) they expire quickly from stray dogs and coyotes. When she was 13 she got to asking to go outside every few days. Finally one night she didn't come back in. I found her the next morning stretched out under the front hedges. She appeared to have just laid down and died. There were no signs of trauma that I could find.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

Never heard of that, but I have had older dogs get so scared by bad weather that they escape the yard and become lost. Had one missing for about 4 days before we found her wandering about a half mile from home. Seems that my dogs tended to get more afraid of thunder & lightning the older they got. Thunderstorms seem to panic the older ones right out of their wits.

Hope your dog shows up soon.
NRA life member
boolitshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by boolitshooter »

Doug, I pray you and your old girl will be reunited soon.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have seen it before.............. somehow they want to spare you the pain.
And they go off to do it on thier own.
It is WHY we love them :cry:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've know 2 people that had old dogs, like 12-14 years old. Both had failing eyesight, both were found drowned in water near the house. One in the family swimming pool. The other in a fish pond behind the house. I don't know if that's enough case history to build a theory on but it does start one to thinking.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I've had two dogs that got the wanderlust when they were older. An elkhound and an akita. Both were bad about making themselves at home anywhere they landed. I think there's a senility factor there. Your dogs probably went far enough that older dog was too tired to come home.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:I've never heard of anything like that..... I hope you guys are reunited very soon....
+1. But, I haven't had but one older dog.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

We've always had Border Terriers in the house and the little dogs usually stay with us 14+ years . But larger dogs I've been told tend to meet their maker a bit earlier .

My last bird dog expired in his kennel at the ripe old age of 11 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I feel for you. My Spitz Klien, (think over sized Pomeranian) just disappeared when he was about 14. He had cataracts and was nearly deaf so I figured he just went off to die. That's been about 3 years ago and I still miss him.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I've known sick or injured dogs go off to heal, sometimes to not return. Dogs are naturally pack animals so they leave when in a weakened state to preserve their status and not get beat up on. Same reason a dog can be in pain and not show it. I've also known of puppies yelping in pain get immediately set upon by their littermates.

I hope she comes back healthy. Dogs can survive outside with little food for a long time. I grew up around deer dogs. Once in a while one goes off the reservation and stays out for weeks to eventually come back or allow someone to pick it up.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Hope your dog finds its way home.

I'm hoping you had positive identification and phone numbers on the dogs collar (I have land line and cell numbers). That seems to be missed by some people for some reason. Even if they have a rabies tag, some people that find the dog may not know it can be used to track the dogs owner. Getting them chipped with the microchip is good also.

Some people may find a dog they think is nice and just keep it if it isnt crystal clear who the owner is without them having to think to return them.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Saw a thing on TV about animal communication years ago...where the family told the story of their little dog's last night... It was old and decrepit but this night it bounded down stairs as if it were a young dog again... It ran around the living room dodging about then jumped up on the wife's lap (something it hadn't been able to do for some while) then from her over to her husband... Then it jumped down ran up stairs and was found dead a few minutes later when they got up there.. They supposed it wanted to day a happy Good Bye...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Saw a thing on TV about animal communication years ago...where the family told the story of their little dog's last night... It was old and decrepit but this night it bounded down stairs as if it were a young dog again... It ran around the living room dodging about then jumped up on the wife's lap (something it hadn't been able to do for some while) then from her over to her husband... Then it jumped down ran up stairs and was found dead a few minutes later when they got up there.. They supposed it wanted to day a happy Good Bye...
Dang it, Ben...you got something in my eye.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

This picture is of president Coolidge`s wife with her favorite dog. My gr grandfather was a dog trainer in Wisconsin for some rich guy. He gave this dog to her. My gr grandpa lived in central Wisconsin and I think they shipped the dog probably from Oshkosh. The dog got out of its crate somewhere in Illinois, I think I heard below Beloit (sp?) Wisconsin and jumped off the train. It found it`s way back, and it had to be well over a hundred miles!
https://ashleybrownbarnes.files.wordpre ... olidge.jpg
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

My Dad always said the old cows would wander off by themselves when they were done. Don't know if a dog would do the same, but I hope your pup has just lost her way home and will figure it out shortly.
NRA Life Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Praying for your pups return
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Older dogs seem to like quiet places where they are left alone.

Doesn't seem like a mystery that an older dog, possibly in distress, confused, or just tired, would seek out the same calm quiet environment to just be left alone and 'rest'.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I still look daily --- checking with the local pounds and people call me with several leads daily based on the signs i have put out but still no dice

She is right in there age wise that its stupid not to think about the inevitable --- but with her energy levels , like i mentioned, i thought we were 2-3 years from that issue

---- she has gotten loose before , but typically visits a neighbor's pond and comes back in an hour or two

Thanks for the words of encouragement ----- these darn critters spend a decade with a sensitive guy like me and it hits me hard when they just disappear

Dogs are family , that is true -- but i have to remind myself that they are not like kids , much as people think they are --- in every dogs heart probably beats a little bit of an independent spirit
----- Doug
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Sorry to hear that but I had a dog run away one time and she was gone for a week....... I was working out in the yard one day and I turned around and she was standing there looking at me........don't give up hope just yet.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Kid was getting ready to leave for college. Ancient dog would not let her out of his sight. When she walked to her part time job one day, dog escaped & followed her about a mile.

Old Jack died within a month after she left.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

:(

I have heard from a veterinarian that they do in fact sometimes go off to be alone if they feel their time is near.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

FWiedner wrote:Older dogs seem to like quiet places where they are left alone.

Doesn't seem like a mystery that an older dog, possibly in distress, confused, or just tired, would seek out the same calm quiet environment to just be left alone and 'rest'.

:|
+1

My thoughts are with you, I know it's not an easy time.

Mark
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2571 wrote:Kid was getting ready to leave for college. Ancient dog would not let her out of his sight. When she walked to her part time job one day, dog escaped & followed her about a mile.

Old Jack died within a month after she left.
:( It's always sad....Jack was probably doing the last duty he could....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I really believe there is something true about dogs going off to die. While we have quit now, for several years we were breeding Miniature Schnauzers. about 18 months ago our first Schnauzer, Mollie, came down with Lymph node cancer. We took her to the Oklahoma State vet school and they gave her 90 days to live. We were of course heartbroken as she was a sweet girl and my wife's favorite. Almost to the days predicted she stopped eating and drinking, and when I went outside to bring her in for the night, I could not find her. Our backyard is about 3/4 of an acre and is fenced. I got a flashlight, walked the whole yard calling her with no luck. The next morning I got up and went out again calling for her and could not find her. Just as I was about to give up I saw a slight movement in leaves piled up against the north fence and there she was buried under the leaves. I picked her up and carried her into the house. We cleaned her up and noticed she was seeping blood from her neck. We called the vet and he advised it was time. The hardest thing I have ever done was to take her in and hold her as he gave her the shot. Anyways this is why I think there is something true about it. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
magyars4
Levergunner 1.0

Post by magyars4 »

I have no idea if the wandering is true or not, all I know is I feel for ya....kinda got a lump in my throat.
Prayers and positive thoughts headin your way.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'd check around that pond real close.

DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DadsMod12 »

I remember when I was around 6 years old our springer spaniel was starting to have problems. He was 14 years old. When I got home from school one day he was gone. We looked, but never found him.

I hope she comes back.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Old dog question :edit - found- not good news

Post by Streetstar »

Well , today my search is over and i had to officially say good bye to my good friend , Princess.

She has been missing nearly 2 weeks , and was finally found in a culvert on the backside of a pond dam (not the pond i was searching high and lo at, but another one not 1/2 a mile from my place) --- it is heavilly fished so i thought for sure someone would have seen her there,

She was surprisingly close to a roadway that is known for people driving too dam fast -- and there is 99.9% chance she was struck by an automobile

Judging by her condition when found i would guess that this happened the same day she went missing , likely within minutes of her taking off --- she had visited a pet groomer to get her toenails trimmed and hair brushed out the day before - so was still wearing the pink bandana the groomer tied around her neck

I am not happy at all , but i find a small amount of solace knowing she did not starve to death, and was not the victim of coyote predation

I have over 50 large bright yellow real estate signs out with my number and a description of her throughout my area --- i would think that whoever hit her could have gave me a courtesy call , but i guess thats not how the world works anymore-- i would think most people would know it if they hit a 55 lb dog -- i hit a possum not long ago and knew it immediately

This is an older pic of Princess and her compatriot, Dixie the boxer mix (who also escaped with her but came back )

I brought her broken vessel back so my wife could have some closure and we will bury her remains next to another departed friend of hers, Cupcake --- but her spirit still runs the fields rounding up sheep and cattle as she was bred to do

----- Doug
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sorry for your loss. :(
NRA Life Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Drunk drivers will run into/over just about anything when they're in a stupor, and not remember...........

Sorry for your loss. :(

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Sorry to hear of the loss of your old friend. Sadly, just knowing what happened may be better than wondering.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Doug,
I'm sorry for your loss but at least you know what happened. The uncertainty can be awful in it's self.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

So sorry to hear this sad news, I was hoping she would return. I've had two collies myself and know how they capture your heart.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Well, darn.... :( :( :(

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That is rough to deal with. I hope you remember the good times you had with her and that it helps soothe the loss.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Sorry to hear the news.

At least you know.

Mark
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

We are all God's children, even the the animal folk.

Sorry.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Very sad indeed. Hope you have sunnier days soon.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Sorry for your loss Doug.

Thanks for posting Princess's picture.

GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Very sorry about the loss of yer' pal. :(
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Sorry for your loss.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I am sorry for your loss. Glad you found your princess. Blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

So very sorry for your loss.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Travel well Princess. Heal well friend.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I am so sorry for your loss. May you and Princess be reunited at the Rainbow Bridge.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Thanks for the kind words, friends

Regarding my original question, i guess i had an example in family -- my brother's little Dachshund , PRecious, - had issues with seizures and tumors when she got about 10 y/o ---he had just moved into a new house just a mile or two from his old one - she was found deceased on a county road trying to walk back to his old house (her old house too) -- just got on Pat 'n Charley and hit the road

I look at the primitive, territorial antics my little dog, (a Pekingese) shows from time to time also and it reminds me that as much as guys like me treat their dogs like little furry spoiled brats --- they are more connected to their pack animal past than we humans are to our pre-historic past
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

When I was visiting Mom in Jan this year, Thor was at a friends house, went "zoomie" around the room for a few minutes, laid down and just about instantly died...Such is the way of life, but I've felt forty tons of guilt because I was not there with him at the end.....

I'm so sorry for your loss, Doug......Most dogs are better and more loving than people. :cry:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV