Danl Boone

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Danl Boone

Post by walks with gun »

It's weird, our local TV station is playing back to back episodes of Fess Parkers Daniel Boone. I guess I never realized how much Kentucky looks like the republic of California. And I did not know percussion to flintlock guns came first, I think I remember seeing some trapdoor Springfield flintlocks.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Danl Boone

Post by Malamute »

Funny how we didnt notice thngs like that in the past.

I just looked at youtube, theres tons of episodes of Daniel Boone there, likely every single one, listed by season and episode. I think I'll watch a few in the evenings. Thanks for the reminder!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mostly the 'point' of those shows was to:
  • a) make some money producing a television show, and
    b) show some redeeming and probably-accurate history of a particular character in history
I don't think that "c) illustrate accurate firearms history" is usually on their list of priorities (unfortunately).

The episodes were kind of cool, along with "Lassie", "Andy Griffith", "Gunsmoke" and "Star Trek" - all illustrating basic concepts of right-vs-wrong, and exploring some historic, generic, and futuristic characters.

Too bad the 'gun' stuff wasn't more accurate though - for those of us who are into 'guns' it tends to detract from the overall experience. I suppose the same thing applies to those who know about any other technology (radio, flight, or whatever).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AJMD429 wrote:

I don't think that "c) illustrate accurate firearms history" is usually on their list of priorities (unfortunately).

I would presume a script writer wouldn't list something they know squat about (firearms and/or firearms history). ;)

walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Hey, the stuff on Star Trek is accurate right?
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Loved it as a kid, great theme song. My real favorite show (and song) the Lone Ranger. :D I find little today that compares. Gotta love it when the good guy always wins.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

walks with gun wrote:It's weird, our local TV station is playing back to back episodes of Fess Parkers Daniel Boone. I guess I never realized how much Kentucky looks like the republic of California. And I did not know percussion to flintlock guns came first, I think I remember seeing some trapdoor Springfield flintlocks.
I always laughed (even as a kid) that the wagons/horses/people always traveled though the same valley, whether it was Little House (MN), Gunsmoke (KS) Bonanza (NV) or whatever :lol:

I LOVE the show "Jusitfied" but I can't help seeing California where Kentucky is supposed to be.

Don't get me started on Longmire in New Mexico that looks nothing like NE Wyoming.

Star Trek....I guess we really won't know in our lifetime....they told us we would, but I don't think we're going to make it.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Doc

Did you miss the hay-day?

Roy Rodgers and Dale Evans

Hopalong Cassidy

Cisco Kid

Lone Ranger

television took a nosedive after that era

Grizz
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

OOOOOOHHH CISCO,,,, OOOOOOHHH PANCHO!!!!!!!
Last edited by JerryB on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

Add a few more:

Annie Oakley
Death Valley Days
Story Of The Century (starring Jim Davis of Dallas fame)
Kit Carson
Cheyenne
Jim Bowie
Sugarfoot
Rin Tin Tin
Have Gun Will Travel
Wild Bill Hickok
Maverick
Colt .45
Zorro
The Gene Autry Show
Wanted Dead or Alive
Gunsmoke
Rawhide
Wyatt Earp

These are all the ones I remember in the 1950-59 time frame in addition to the ones already mentioned. There were others but I don't remember watching them.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

good ones. was death valley days the one that had the 20-mule team wagons hauling borax with original actual teamsters?

not all of those titles were contemporary were they?

Grizz
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

Yes, Death Valley Days was the 20 mule team which was sponsored by the Borax Company which really did use mule teams and wagons to get borax out of Death Valley starting after the Civil War. Most of the programs on the list had a more embellished name, I just made them simpler. Here is a pretty accurate list of them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TV_Westerns
Last edited by Gaucho Gringo on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

walks with gun wrote:Hey, the stuff on Star Trek is accurate right?
Not yet, but it will be! :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

walks with gun wrote:Hey, the stuff on Star Trek is accurate right?
Well, Actually, the closer we get to Stardate 41153.7, the more REAL all that "Stuff" seems to become. 8)
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I like watching these oldies for anachronisms ( I think that's the term) where things in the movie are from a later time. Saw a '54 Ford on hogans heroes, Schultz carrying a Krag (possible I guess) and a western saddle on Daniel Boone. Sometime guns out of time, one of the Barkleys with a 336. Fun stuff.

TomF
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete44ru wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:I don't think that "c) illustrate accurate firearms history" is usually on their list of priorities (unfortunately).
I would presume a script writer wouldn't list something they know squat about (firearms and/or firearms history). ;)
Hey, the screenwriter might get it right... but the 'armorer' or 'prop guy' might have a real problem comin' up with what the screenwriter calls for...

Frankly, as a kid watchin' those shows... those goofs didn't detract one little bit from the show. But, my Dad chucklin' at what seems inappropriate times now makes a lot more sense! He didn't bother tellin' me what was wrong with the show... just let it entertain.
AJMD429 wrote:Mostly the 'point' of those shows was to:
b) show some redeeming and probably-accurate history of a particular character in history
Even back then, I found it a bit incongruous that Hollywood would take a known "hitman" and somehow make that seem "right". Seemed a bit farfetched and fanciful...

And I have to say, "probably-accurate" is more'n likely a bit overstated. I'd certainly concur with "maybe-" or "somewhat-". I realize I might be pickin' nits, but "probably-" makes it seems to close to "nearly-"; as, gosh-darned it Marshall Dillon, we KNOW that weren't their intention! It started and ended with a)! The fact that b) occurred at all was simply their desire to sell the ADVERTISERS what the advertisers thought the audience wanted to see... and c) wasn't anywhere near their radar screen!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

vancelw wrote:
walks with gun wrote:
Star Trek....I guess we really won't know in our lifetime....they told us we would, but I don't think we're going to make it.

Oh, I dunno - I suspect, there's a few, here, that are out of this world.......... ;)

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

ah youth.... some of you youngsters have missed something.

the ones I listed were all morality plays. there are bad guys and there are good guys. the bad guys do bad things and the good guys stop them or rectify the bad things. there are no shades of pink and no, Sally does NOT have two mommies. the good guys don't do bad things. the pretenders get outed and all is right by the time the credits roll.

every one of those early shows were mentoring stories teaching the kids watching that there is right and wrong, and how to do right. there is truth and falsehood, how to tell the truth, and know the difference.

that entire ethic is turned exactly upside down and we live in the day when evil is called good, and good is called evil. as prophesied. our culture is sowing the wind, the whirlwind is on the horizon.

Grizz
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The Guns of Will Sonnet. Does anyone remember that series? It was a good one in my opinion. "No brag, just fact" was a great line from Walter Brennan's character. 1967 to 1969
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:P One D. Boone show ended with them leaning on the split rail fence, with a contrail in the background.....I love that kind of stuff 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

No! It couldn't be! Why, those must have been just some strange clouds. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Grizz wrote:
the ones I listed were all morality plays. there are bad guys and there are good guys. the bad guys do bad things and the good guys stop them or rectify the bad things. there are no shades of pink and no, Sally does NOT have two mommies. the good guys don't do bad things. the pretenders get outed and all is right by the time the credits roll.
Way back when I was watching those shows I would have agreed with you. Now, not all the time.

Recently, I was watching some of the early Andy Griffith shows. You know, the ones with Miss Elly :D . Andy was a JERK! :lol:
And most dilemmas on each episode began with someone (often the protagonist, often someone else) being less than truthful and forthcoming. Big no-no in my house growing up.
And Miss Kitty really was just a dancer, right :wink: Fine, upstanding pillar of the community. (no offense, piller)
Those Cartwrights were downright MEAN. :evil: On one episode, they were shooting at some people just for being on their property! The Ponderosa was so big, no one could ride around it.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

the ones with Miss Elly
:roll: Andy was an idiot for dumping her for that skank Helen... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

How many times, even in John Wayne films, did you see a Peacemaker used in fighting during the Civil War?

I think it was a combination of lazy prop guys just reaching for what they had lots of, a public that didn't care, and producers that were clueless.

That is one of the nice things about many current shows and movies; at least they try to get the firearms right. No one probably does it better than Tom Selleck, who is a stickler for period firearm authenticity.

Still, we see a lot of errors, even now. I recently got hooked on "Hel on Wheels", watching the first three seasons on Netflix. Thought I had found nirvana when in the first episode they mentioned the main character carrying a "Griswold"; perfectly reasonable for an ex-Confederate officer. But then they showed a close up of the gun and it was just a brass-framed 1860 Army - a gun that never existed! The prop master should be tarred and feathered for that - it was such an easy mistake to avoid in the internet age!
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I wasn't around the first time Jim Bowie was on. But I did watch it when a local station aired it. My wife hated it and when I started singing the song she would cringe. I don't know if it was my voice or the song that got to her. :lol:
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

The woman used to, and still does I guess, tell me to shut up and just watch the movie, every time I try to explain that the gun in question wasn't made at that period of time, or if anybody had any sense at all they would un fold the stock and shoot that SMG or rifle the way it was intended. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Like many here, if not most...I have to say that if I watch carefully, and look for it, I'm able to identify all kinds of issues with the selection and use of firearms in TV and movies..both the oldies, and the current crop.
That said, I have to say that I try not to look too closely. I prefer to enjoy the story...the characters, etc.
You see, I really don't care if the "Mexicans" assaulting the Alamo are carrying Trapdoor Springfields.
I'm there to be entertained, and such glitches don't bother me at all.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

piller wrote:The Guns of Will Sonnet. Does anyone remember that series? It was a good one in my opinion. "No brag, just fact" was a great line from Walter Brennan's character. 1967 to 1969
One of my favorites.
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

firefuzz wrote:
piller wrote:The Guns of Will Sonnet. Does anyone remember that series? It was a good one in my opinion. "No brag, just fact" was a great line from Walter Brennan's character. 1967 to 1969
One of my favorites.

+2... I have one season on DVD. I think you can find it at Cracker barrel.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Came along too late for Davy Crockett, but didn't miss an episode of Dan'l Boone. Got to watch the Crockett movies with Mr. Parker on his winery's lawn though. Nice man, I miss him.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Grizz wrote:Doc

Did you miss the hay-day?

Roy Rodgers and Dale Evans

Hopalong Cassidy

Cisco Kid

Lone Ranger

television took a nosedive after that era

Grizz
+1 I tried hard to be like those guys when I was growing up, not so much Dale Evans :lol: I still think they were good role models.

Jay, that brass framed 1860 " Griswold " riled me too!...
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

He always ended each episode with a prayer..............can't do that anymore :(
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Rusty wrote:
firefuzz wrote:
One of my favorites.

+2... I have one season on DVD. I think you can find it at Cracker barrel.

I've been watching it on youtube. Theres 2 seasons there.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

Lassiter wrote:

He always ended each episode with a prayer..............can't do that anymore :(
Duck Dynasty and Blue Bloods do family dinner grace. Which is a lot more than most do.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

What are MORALS anyway, must be some kind of mushrooms, I remember hearing about morals on some of the old TV shows and movies, but not so much anymore.