Introducing: "The Bottle of Britain"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Introducing: "The Bottle of Britain"

Post by Old No7 »

No sir, that is not a typo!

For those who like a really good ale, check out "Spitfire, Premium Kentish Ale"!

I love the bottle art and design -- and especially the bottle cap with the RAF roundel...
Spitfire Ale 01 (Small).JPG
Spitfire Ale 02 (Small).JPG
My late father (RIP) always loved the Spitfires, as he served as a ground pounder (T/Sgt, Flight Chief) with the 121st Eagle Squadron on an RAF base in Debden, England before the Yanks took over with the 8th Air Force, Army Air Corp.

Dad always said it was "a nice little war with the RAF" as in his words, they had "much better food and decent officers". But of course, war is hell and to be won, and the Yanks did introduce the mighty P47 Thunderbolts and the long-ranging P51 Mustangs which enabled the newly-formed 4th Fighter Group ("Debden Eagles") to become the highest-scoring fighter group of any in the ETO. But my father always fondly remembered his time with the RAF servicing the lovely Spitfires -- except when the pilots would pee on the tailwheels for good luck, as that caused a lot of rust and extra work...

Since then, I've always had a soft spot for that plane...

So I'll raise a glass to you Dad whenever I enjoy a Spitfire!
Dad in Cockpit WWII 02.jpg
I'm buying! Here's "a round of Spitfires" from the 121st for all of you:
121 Eagle Sqdrn - Spitfires.jpg
121 Eagle Squadron Insignia.jpg
Cheers! :wink:

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Introducing: "The Bottle of Britain"

Post by Blaine »

If you are interested, the famed British march composer Kenneth Alford wrote "Eagle Squadron March" in honor of the Americans.....midway through, you can hear how he incorporated a part of our National Anthem. This happens to be one of my personal favorites....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxwlUSxdehg
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

First and foremost Darryl, I thank your farther for his service.
Second, I have enjoyed a few pints of Spitfire Ale both bottled and draft, cold I might add, refrigeration has caught on in the UK since WW2..... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thank you Old No 7.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Awesome All Around. My Mom & Dad were both WW2 vet's. I'll look for the Spitfire. Thanks.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

been a tea-totaler for a long long long time, but perhaps I might just once tip a Spitfire in honor of your Dad and all the brave lads who fought that fight, before I go west.

thanks for posting

Grizz
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Shepherd Neame Brewery - been brewing since 1698. For the pious they also offer a strong ale called Bishops Finger.
They brew Sam Adams Boston Lager under licence but we won't talk about that.
I am a member of the Portcullis Club, a Royal Air Force Association club based at Kenly Aerodrome, one of the few remaining WW2 fighter bases. Sunday mornings we usually have a keg or two of Spitfire.

Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."